warlocks00
Jun 04 2010, 10:15 AM
So recently there has been somewhat of a strong push by a couple of board members in our club to become incorporated, and become either a 501C3 or a C6. Then there are some that want to just keep going like things are...as things are going pretty well as is.

From what I understand(or have been told) there is only 1 club in Texas that is a 501C3 with a couple of others looking into it. The question I have is what are all the other clubs across the country? Are you a nonprofit organization, or are you just a group that calls your group a club and goes from there?

bruce_brakel
Jun 07 2010, 01:30 AM
So recently there has been somewhat of a strong push by a couple of board members in our club to become incorporated, and become either a 501C3 or a C6. Then there are some that want to just keep going like things are...as things are going pretty well as is.

From what I understand(or have been told) there is only 1 club in Texas that is a 501C3 with a couple of others looking into it. The question I have is what are all the other clubs across the country? Are you a nonprofit organization, or are you just a group that calls your group a club and goes from there?I'm not understanding how a disc golf club clould organize as a 501c(3). C(7) maybe. To me it makes more sense to organize as a for-profit corporation if you need a corporate identity.

exczar
Jun 07 2010, 10:34 AM
It is not a club, per se, but here in Dallas there was a 501c(3) organization started to collect money to plant courses. This org has the directorship as dictated by the statutes, but it is not really a disc golf club - it does not run tournaments or "adopt" any courses.

Our club here has another status, which I believe is a "not for profit" as opposed to a "non-profit". I think that means that any donations the club receives is not tax deductible, but BB Esq. can correct me if I err.

warlocks00
Jun 07 2010, 10:48 AM
So you guys have a club that puts on tourneys, runs minis, and such that is a "not for profit club", but also have another orginaztion that is in place to collect sponsorship money. Does it have a seperate board? I am guessing when the "not for profit club" needs money the "501c3 org" just writes the club a check?

Our club here has another status, which I believe is a "not for profit" as opposed to a "non-profit". I think that means that any donations the club receives is not tax deductible, but BB Esq. can correct me if I err.

So how do people write off sponsorships to softball teams, flag football teams, soccer teams, ect.?? Those entities are not 501c3, or "not for profit" orgs. nor "non-profit" orgs. They are just teams businesses are giving money, uniforms, and/or equipment to.

warlocks00
Jun 07 2010, 10:50 AM
I'm not understanding how a disc golf club clould organize as a 501c(3). C(7) maybe. To me it makes more sense to organize as a for-profit corporation if you need a corporate identity.

I have not been told anything about the c7 status, on the c3 and the c6.

Wouldn't a "for-profit" corporation have to pay income tax on anything profitted during the year?

iron
Mar 31 2011, 03:32 PM
we are trying to figure out if this is a vaible option to help
our club raise dollars for sanctioned events to help cover
costs and increase payout. the little I've read seems
that a club would need both 501c7 for day to day operations
and a seperate 501c3 fund to accept donations towards
hosting competitive tournaments - I'm thinking Charlotte
is well established in this area given their aggresive fundraising

Any more on this topic???

bruce_brakel
Apr 05 2011, 10:26 AM
So how do people write off sponsorships to softball teams, flag football teams, soccer teams, ect.?? Those entities are not 501c3, or "not for profit" orgs. nor "non-profit" orgs. They are just teams businesses are giving money, uniforms, and/or equipment to.They write them off as an advertising expense, which is deducted from taxable income just like a charitable expense.

we are trying to figure out if this is a vaible option to help
our club raise dollars for sanctioned events to help cover
costs and increase payout. There are some donors that are willing to donate only to 501c entities, but I don't think it is all that useful for tournament fundraising. It is a hassle for accounting and tax reporting.

You can raise a lot of funds by buying your prizes at wholesale from the manufacturers and giving them away at retail. If first is supposed to win $100 worth of prizes and $100 worth only costs you $60, boom!, you just raised $40.

A club can also raise a lot of money by having a club fundraiser disc made and selling it to the club members and local players.

Selling consecutively numbered bag tags with the club membership can also be a useful fund raising strategy.

rondpit
Apr 13 2011, 05:10 PM
I am looking for contact information for clubs/associations that have non-profit 501(c)3 status. (not to be confused with (c) 6 or 7)

Thanks,
Ron Pittman
Williamson County Disc Golf Club
Tennessee