davidsauls
Jun 01 2010, 03:11 PM
Watching a playoff between two players tied for 1st place, and wondering....

A player gets one penalty-free stance violation per round. That is, no penalty stroke; he still must re-throw.

Would a playoff constitute a separate round? I can't find it in rulebook, but it seems that it would. This is not settling a dispute, but I watched a playoff with a player who had been penalized for a falling putt in the 4th round, and wondered what would happen if he did it again in the playoff.

Anyone know?
Any thoughts?

davidsauls
Jun 01 2010, 03:15 PM
Oops

Martin_Bohn
Jun 02 2010, 10:47 AM
there was a thread about playoff holes here somewhere. i think the general consensus was that the regular rounds were considered regulation play with the standard stipulated rules applied for those rounds, but the playoff holes were completely separate in terms of score, format, and i will assume penalties.... ?

jackinkc
Jun 30 2010, 05:38 PM
For ties with a one-and-done mentality it would be a "fresh start" but you are correct its a vagueness in our current rules as I quickly reviewed them. We did however at last years Worlds let Josh and Avery know that it was sudden death and that all rules would be applicable for the event. I was busy at the podium so I am unsure as to what was exactly said at the first tee, but my opinion is that they would then have the same rules as if it was a fresh new round. The reasoning behind this is that they now have a "new" grouping of players in a different scenario that precludes the other part of the event.

You would have the option to foot fault again with a warning, etc.....now it does offer an open ended scenarion regarding to the courtesy violations in my mind, but again it would be a new round, it could last 1 hole, or 18....so they would get the same treatment, but would have less groud to make the same error....