Hindsight
May 26 2010, 11:14 AM
While coaching my team in practice last night...I kept seeing something in the office of the Salvation Army here in BA. It was a portable disc golf basket. My curiosity was peaked. So after the practice, I tracked down the guy who runs the rec center.

Apperantly, he has hooked up with Jay Reading and the E.D.G.E. program. Actually, today the decision is coming down on whether they recieve 6 portables and 60 discs or 9 portables and 100 discs.

Needless to say once we started talking about the fact that I play alot, he asked for help teaching the rec center kids how to play. I admit I am not the best disc golfer to be giving tips, but I can offer some help on the raw basics of it all. We might need about 4 or 5 local pro's to share some of their time and maybe on a monday in rotating weeks could assist in getting them the help they need.

I will get more info today and talk to some people and see what I can come up with. If you are interested in helping please contact me by phone or email.

918-829-6510 or [email protected]

slim___15288
May 27 2010, 11:25 AM
i've also seen on the monthly newsletter from my homeowner's association that there are plans for either 9 or 18 holes to go in at Nienhuis Park, located on Lynn Lane between 51st and 61st. I haven't spoken to anyone at the park directly, but I've heard that they are working with Rick Neil and that the course will be in this fall or early next year.

twoputtok
May 27 2010, 12:02 PM
Have you seen the location? It would be great to have more baskets in the area but if it is where I think it is, it will be mostly wide open.

I think that if I lived in the area, I would still drive to Haikey. So nice to see this course back up.

Hindsight
May 28 2010, 01:07 AM
if it weren't for the Mexican mafia in the area, I'd say stick it in at that corprate park at 129th and 41st. it gets mowed somewhat on a regular basis.

twoputtok
May 28 2010, 08:36 AM
I have walked that land about 3 times. It would make a beautifull course.

kwilkes
May 28 2010, 10:43 AM
I think it will happen at some point according to BA city officials I have worked with in the past.

jgeurin
May 28 2010, 02:04 PM
I am interested in helping out. I'd like to get the Oklahoma Disc Golf Foundation involved in the effort in some way if I can. Who can I contact? Do you have a contact person Brian?

Hindsight
May 28 2010, 06:33 PM
yes, his email addy is [email protected]

I don't think he is wanting to start anything until the baskets have arrived.

Hindsight
May 28 2010, 06:35 PM
I have walked that land about 3 times. It would make a beautifull course.

I have thought the same thing since I started playing. But then the liquor store accross the street gets robbed or the gas station and im just not sure how safe it is.

jgeurin
May 28 2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the contact info Brian. I have emailed him.