Webslinger
Apr 28 2010, 12:10 PM
Is there a particular grip that is best when trying to consistently drive with the nose down? Is it more grip or wrist orientation that causes a nose up release? When using the power grip for driving, is there a particular finger in the grip that is most responsible for keeping the nose down upon release?

davei
Apr 28 2010, 12:26 PM
Is there a particular grip that is best when trying to consistently drive with the nose down? Is it more grip or wrist orientation that causes a nose up release? When using the power grip for driving, is there a particular finger in the grip that is most responsible for keeping the nose down upon release?

Thumb

tanner
Apr 28 2010, 12:33 PM
when I typically see discs 'nose up' it has to do with the arm motion. Alot of guys start high in the back stroke and dip down when they come through, and finally re-compensate by coming up through the finish. The disc/arm motion does a U-shape instead of a straight line.

The thumb is a key factor as well.

Webslinger
Apr 28 2010, 01:25 PM
Typically I place my thumb on top of the flight plate where the rim and flight plate meet and just above where my forefinger is positioned under the rim. Would it be better to slide/push my thumb more forward of where I currently place it?
I have seen pictures of Avery Jenkins power grip and it appears that that is exactly what he does. Is that the key to keeping nose down? (I don't pull back high then swing through low).

exczar
Apr 28 2010, 02:42 PM
Bonopane

munky
Apr 20 2011, 11:13 AM
@exczar....i second that emotion. bonopane will definitely bring the nose down
http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html

futurecollisions
Apr 24 2011, 10:28 AM
Someone who throws very far told me to put my thumb more towards the center of the disc, Ive only tried it a couple of times, I always put my thumb near the edge of the disc before. Anyone tried this?

listen2bob
Apr 27 2011, 11:18 AM
I throw moderately far, and I do try to put my thumb as far out on the flight plate as possible\comfortable. I feel it gives me better control of all the angles of release (nose up, nose down, anny, hyser)

quickdisc
Apr 29 2011, 05:02 PM
Experiment with your Thumb on positioning it in different places on the disc.

MrJB
May 10 2011, 12:00 PM
The best advice I could give involves more of the wrist angle. You can do anything you want with your fingers (bonopane excluded) but if you get your wrist turned down, and keep it there through out the swing, you can really control the trajectory of the disc pretty well. Watch video of Nate as he lines up a shot, extends his arm out towards the target, or towards the direction he wants the disc to start, and he sets all his angles in that pre-shot routine. This also helps visualize the disc flying at the angles you want to see.

With out keeping your wrist down, the disc is naturally oriented a bit nose up.

Hope that helps.

bravo
May 20 2011, 07:32 PM
in order to train the wrist angle throw at the ground 30 ft in front of you and watch the contact of the disc to the ground.
if the disc hits nose up then it will skip
if it hits nose down it will either stop or roll away

if you do this training method for three to 500 throws the body will learn the nose down release.