gokayaksteven
Apr 23 2010, 06:58 PM
are these consistantly soft, firm, or what? i got an orange one that I love and want to get more like it. it does not have the flight #'s on it and it is stiffer than the old 3x, but tacky. I have to mail order so any clues would help. these seem to have less low speed fade than soft wizards, would you agree?
thanks

RhynoBoy
Apr 25 2010, 04:17 PM
They are supposed to be softer, but kind come in a wide variety. I think the new ones with flight #'s may be made from some sort of R-Pro to get the softer more like the 3x. I have many 5x that are a little stiffer, but with more grip. (No flight #'s) I think they're trying to change that.

The ones that were made for Juliana's "La Vie en Rose" were really nice. A little more grippier than normal 5x, but still not floppy.

snap7times
Apr 26 2010, 03:18 AM
as a jk avair user, i do not like the new ones with flight #'s on them, they are way too soft...

LastBoyScout
Apr 26 2010, 10:29 AM
I use JK Aviar-X Prototypes or 3x JKs. There are no substitutes.

pick them up while you can.

RhynoBoy
Apr 26 2010, 11:27 AM
I use JK Aviar-X Prototypes or 3x JKs. There are no substitutes.

pick them up while you can.

The Prototypes and the 3x I have aren't really similar at all. The Proto's are much stiffer than the 3x. Are yours the same?

they are way too soft...

Isn't that kind of the point? JK's are supposed to be the soft ones, and KC are supposed to be the stiff ones? That's what I always thought.

vadiscgolf
Apr 26 2010, 12:27 PM
With Innova their plastics vary so much you can get almost anything you want, if your willing to look around and sometimes wait for new runs.

gokayaksteven
Apr 26 2010, 07:49 PM
re aviars:
i like softer/tackier than kc's, but not super soft. there should be something in the middle, like say have the 5x's be like the 4x's, and have the r-pro be super soft.

veganray
Apr 26 2010, 08:08 PM
Easier said than done, considering 4x JKs ran the gamut, with some being pretty darned stiff & waxy and others (particularly orange, in my experience) feeling almost exactly like current R-Pro & being extremely floppy, pliable, & tacky.

gotcha
Apr 26 2010, 08:32 PM
I like the flexibility of the 3X molds and the later models just aren't the same.

I recently switched to the R-Pro Aviar and I'm very happy with the product.

gokayaksteven
Apr 26 2010, 09:33 PM
is the r-pro a big bead?

vadiscgolf
Apr 27 2010, 12:31 AM
No, they are beadless, but I got a new run 5x JK Aviar that is orange and feels soft and has that r pro feel. I bought 2 from DGV online.

Martin_Bohn
Apr 27 2010, 10:21 AM
the newer ones are softer than the older 5x. just got a new one and compared, it doesnt seem to putt any differently but it does feel less stiff. it might make a difference in hotter weather when the plastic softens up even more, we'll see...

quickdisc
Apr 27 2010, 06:02 PM
I did get a few from Disc Golf Values.

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=112&PHPSESSID=90bc5d0fcbde81c2646d626f8cc909c7

quickdisc
May 26 2010, 10:36 PM
Just Got this Putt & Approach Aviar Today !!!

snap7times
May 27 2010, 12:26 PM
The Prototypes and the 3x I have aren't really similar at all. The Proto's are much stiffer than the 3x. Are yours the same?

Isn't that kind of the point? JK's are supposed to be the soft ones, and KC are supposed to be the stiff ones? That's what I always thought.

yes the jk are supposed to be a bit softer than the kc, just a little bit on the feel. The new ones with flight numbers on them feel like a warm playdough that you can just push through forever and bend the whole disc easily, the normal jk's you can't bend the disc that much, not that you would want to. KC's are way too stiff for me

Martin_Bohn
May 27 2010, 02:24 PM
i just got a chance to go through two different racks/stores that had several jk aviars. a year ago all the jk's were the same stiffness, or feel to it no matter what the weight was. now after looking and feeling the new ones, anything over 171 grams were noticeably softer in feel and flexibility. for me thats a no go. something too flexy and it has an inconsistent release out of the hand. there were a bunch of kc aviars there too, they were stiff throughout the weights but its that slick feeling material you dont have in the jk's.

AviarX
May 28 2010, 12:28 AM
the normal jk's you can't bend the disc that much, not that you would want to. KC's are way too stiff for me

It seems to me there is a great deal of variance between what individuals prefer. some like stiffer JK's, but it seems to me they should just throw KC's.

some like buttery soft JK's and look very hard to find them. others like soft but not too soft. part of it has to do with the moisture or dryness of ones hands, part of it is just personal preference. I get the most consistent results with soft ones. Previously I used them for short drives & approaches within 300 ft and for putts. I am now using the R-Pro Aviars for most putts (escept perhaps strong headwind putts). i have no issues getting very stable flight out of buttery soft JK's for a 300 foot throw.
that said, some evidently find soft discs hard to throw well.

maybe the variance in runs is a blessing in disguise as all of us get a chance to find what we like. the 4x's were sometimes as stiff as KC's and sometimes as soft as it gets. I used to favor the 3x's but my soft 4x and 5x's work great too.

quickdisc
May 28 2010, 06:08 PM
These are really nice JK's !!!

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=112&PHPSESSID=089035328324527b99b3ac34a9185c9c