havasuDG
Apr 14 2010, 07:01 PM
I understand that the ideal situation is to get a course designer involved in any new course, but we all know that is often not an option. In our case we are far enough away from any Metro Areas and have no real access to a course desgner, so I am taking on the task myself, with the help of others who have worked on the other area courses.

I have read as many articles as I could find on various forums and websites relating to course design but unfortunately, much of the advice does not apply to our parcel of land. I have a 95% wide open, hilly, piece of desert. There are tons of rocks everywhere, not always developed walking paths, and limited flat ground for very few non-elevated holes.

I would love to hear some advice on how to create variety, as the terrain lends itself to repetition, and quite a bit of hiking. I want to make sure I get the most out of the land, and feel that so far I am doing that, but with more opinions I'll be better suited to put something together that caters to everyone.

My current plans have a primary tee, and then a recreational tee (less distance, risk, elevation).
One of my primary concerns is of safety. There is no concern as to pedestrians, as it is an unused piece of land. There is a concern that in the effort to make the most exciting holes possible that an errant shot may be punished with unplayable lies, that would not be safe for everyone to recover.. whether in sharp, pointy Bushes/Trees, or down steep rocky hill faces.

cgkdisc
Apr 14 2010, 07:43 PM
Create marked buncrs and OB areas to at least provide a challenge for landing areas similar to how they do links golf courses for ball golf on terrain that's mostly open with few trees.

havasuDG
Apr 14 2010, 07:48 PM
I like the idea, I also have several pin placements where over shooting the pin leads to a slight decline in elevation which can lend to a tougher comeback shot if the player overshoots the pin. Chuck, When I have pictures would you mind giving me any feedback on the property, I will take pictures tomorrow and upload them to my flickr account with some hole details.

cgkdisc
Apr 14 2010, 08:09 PM
OK, let me know.

havasuDG
Apr 16 2010, 08:29 PM
Got a new look at the land I have to use. Time to re-design what I've got, so it will be a couple more weeks before I have anything posted, in order to maximize the use of the property.
Some beautiful Arizona views though.