gdalbey
Apr 02 2010, 11:18 AM
I live in Kansas City and this summer me and some friends want to road trip around the midwest playing some new disc golf courses. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best to play in the midwest?

bruce_brakel
Apr 02 2010, 11:52 AM
New to you or new to the planet? Where have you already been?

gdalbey
Apr 02 2010, 12:32 PM
new to me. I have played all the courses and kansas city, and some in Omaha.

stevenpwest
Apr 02 2010, 12:58 PM
Drive north on 35, turn left on Highway 10 after Minneapolis. Turn around at Fargo and go back. I'd bet you couldn't play all the courses along the way in one summer, even just the good ones.

Make sure you stop at J&B Rolling Hills and Graceland College.

IowaDGer
Apr 22 2010, 03:45 PM
Jump up on I-80 East and play the Des Moines courses - Ewing, Walnut Ridge, Big Creek, Grandview, and Pickard. These were used in the 2004 Worlds. Next go south to Ottumwa and play Indian Hills, Memorial, and Wildwood. On your way back to KC, be sure to play JB Rolling Hills and Graceland. You may want to show this loop to many friends.

bruce_brakel
Apr 22 2010, 09:19 PM
Jump up on I-80 East and play the Des Moines courses - Ewing, Walnut Ridge, Big Creek, Grandview, and Pickard. These were used in the 2004 Worlds. Next go south to Ottumwa and play Indian Hills, Memorial, and Wildwood. On your way back to KC, be sure to play JB Rolling Hills and Graceland. You may want to show this loop to many friends.This would be a very good road trip. The course at the university a half hour north of Des Moines [Carol Marty?] is a better course than Big Poison Ivy Creek, unless no one in your group is allergic. Then they are simply different courses and "better" would be subjective. Big Creek had poison ivy bushes eight and ten feet tall in 2004.

RonRazz
Apr 24 2010, 10:29 AM
This would be a very good road trip. The course at the university a half hour north of Des Moines [Carol Marty?] is a better course than Big Poison Ivy Creek, unless no one in your group is allergic. Then they are simply different courses and "better" would be subjective. Big Creek had poison ivy bushes eight and ten feet tall in 2004.

That was 6 years ago. Things have changed.

tanner
Apr 26 2010, 01:55 PM
This would be a very good road trip. The course at the university a half hour north of Des Moines [Carol Marty?] is a better course than Big Poison Ivy Creek, unless no one in your group is allergic. Then they are simply different courses and "better" would be subjective. Big Creek had poison ivy bushes eight and ten feet tall in 2004.

That's in August, and a bit obsurd....but there is some evil Ivy in the summer.

Right now is the time to play Big Creek....well, after we pick up all the x-country skiers beer cans....

Can't go wrong with disc golf around Des Moines. Newton, Colfax, both Ames courses, and of course Lamoni (x2)....should keep you busy.

tengstrom
Apr 27 2010, 01:21 AM
Hit Forest City, Iowa, then go up into Minnesota and hit Fairmont, Mankato, Albert Lea, Austin and Stewartville. Then go to Northfield and check out Castle Rock, and be sure to play Kaposia in S. St. Paul and Hyland Ski Area in Bloomington and Acorn Park in, um, I think Little Canada. Anyway, Minnesota has great courses and more keep coming.

discette
Apr 27 2010, 09:11 AM

That's in August, and a bit obsurd....but there is some evil Ivy in the summer.

Right now is the time to play Big Creek....well, after we pick up all the x-country skiers beer cans....

I played the inagural tournament at Big Creek back in 1999 and I was amazed at the size and abundance of the poison ivy. Bruce is not exaggerating, the plants were at least eight feet tall and they were everywhere. Most everyone I traveled with suffered from ungodly rashes and ended up on steroids. Liberal use of rubbing alcohol wipes on hands, discs and bare skin helped to limit my breakout to only a few small patches. Do a Google search on Skin Rash Hall of Fame if you want to see just how bad a poison ivy rash can be. I won't put a link here because it really is disturbing.

Poison ivy aside, Big Creek is a beautifully challenging course in an awesome park. I would include it along with Walnut Ridge, Pickard and Ewing as great courses to play around Des Moines.