rizbee
Mar 26 2010, 02:19 PM
The baskets at Emerald Isle Golf Course in Oceanside, CA will be pulled at the end of this month, bringing the curtain down on one of the best examples of the disc golf/ball golf hybrid (a la Fly-18). Skip Winship and his staff did a fantastic job over the years of making our disc golf community feel right at home - you all will be missed.

If you're within a reasonable drive of Oceanside, you have until Wednesday to get in a round. We have a big group going out Tuesday at 3pm. Come join us!

md21954
Mar 26 2010, 02:41 PM
why is it being pulled?

rizbee
Mar 26 2010, 04:24 PM
The head ball golf pro stood up during the players meeting at our recent PDGA tournament and gave us the official explanation. The lease was up on the land that hosts the course. The land is owned by an HOA - the course plays along a number of homeowners' yards. He said that the HOA was never on board with the addition of disc golf several years ago, so it became a negotiating point for renewing the lease. It was either give up disc golf, or give up the entire business.

cgkdisc
Mar 26 2010, 05:04 PM
So apparently disc golf revenues weren't the difference in whether the operation was profitable since they were willing to renew the lease without disc golf and go it alone with just ball golf. I'm not sure that would be true in some other market areas where several ball golf operations are apparently losing revenue where adding DG might help. I wonder if home owner value is impacted whether there's a golf course nearby? If the ball golf operators said they couldn't make it and would withdraw the course without disc golf, I wonder if the lost home valuation differential would be enough to influence the home owners decision?

exczar
Mar 26 2010, 06:24 PM
That, or the HOA would just find someone else to run the ball golf course. I doubt that they would let the land go fallow.

snap7times
Mar 27 2010, 01:45 AM
where do all the lost and found discs go? I still got a few in there or still in the water...

rizbee
Mar 28 2010, 04:23 PM
From what I've heard, there were other suitors, so playing hardball with the HOA wasn't much of an option. The neighborhood is a retirement community - modest homes, not a country club. Lots of retired military - just a few miles from Camp Pendleton.

Dropping disc golf will mean about $100k less revenue (my estimate). The management thinks they will be bringing in more ball golf revenue because the city's 9-hole municipal golf course is set to close. Whether they will see that much more revenue in a golf environment that has more tee times available than players is yet to be seen.

They say that if they pull discs out of the water and can read the phone number, you'll get a call. Lots and lots of unclaimed used discs there, tho.

csrenda79
Mar 29 2010, 09:36 AM
Nate...I'll get your discs if there are any there with your name on it...if I recover any, I will post info. I have to get a few of my own out of there.

snap7times
Apr 01 2010, 03:40 AM
only one i really care to get back is an orange stalker.. now if there are any kc pro teebirds heheheheheh.... "call me"...

pterodactyl
Apr 01 2010, 12:52 PM
e the city's 9-hole municipal golf course is set to close.

Sounds like a spot for the new course has just opened up.

rizbee
Apr 05 2010, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a spot for the new course has just opened up.

Nope - that land is already spoken for. The City wanted to do something with it that would generate revenue.

csrenda79
Apr 12 2010, 10:21 AM
Anybody know if they pulled discs out of the lake since the tournament? My discs just have the PDGA number on it, I don't like leaving my phone number on a disc...