Cinque
Mar 22 2010, 11:05 PM
Anybody know if one will be scheduled in SoCal? What course would be perfect for the event?

grizzly09
Mar 23 2010, 01:51 AM
Montiel Park. Sunset Park (in San Marcos). CSUSM course (can be shortened quite nicely).

Sorry, my dad wanted me to make suggestions.

evan_lost
Mar 23 2010, 12:06 PM
Montiel Park. Sunset Park (in San Marcos). CSUSM course (can be shortened quite nicely).

Sorry, my dad wanted me to make suggestions.

I suggest Whittier Narrows. It's going to waste ;)

Godfather
Mar 23 2010, 03:42 PM
Montiel had one last year... I was bummed I missed it. Hopefully Allen will put that event on again.

sunrisensunrise
Mar 23 2010, 05:37 PM
I've been the runner up both years Allen has run it. One of these days I might actually get over the hump.

grizzly09
Mar 23 2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah the one at Montiel is usually pretty fun.
You get to enjoy 36 holes of Ace Race action. We somehow manage to make the holes even shorter! :D
There's always a bounty of prizes and side games. Mini golf, CTP, putting contest, etc.
Oh! And you get to watch Ben hit metal all day long and still walk away Ace-less. That's always fun for me. :D

sunrisensunrise
Mar 23 2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah the one at Montiel is usually pretty fun.
You get to enjoy 36 holes of Ace Race action. We somehow manage to make the holes even shorter! :D
There's always a bounty of prizes and side games. Mini golf, CTP, putting contest, etc.
Oh! And you get to watch Ben hit metal all day long and still walk away Ace-less. That's always fun for me. :D

I got the first ace at the first Montiel Ace Race. And nothing but metal since. You have video evidence of a couple I believe.

rizbee
Mar 23 2010, 08:59 PM
I'll be running an Ace Race in San Marcos, course yet to be determined. Discraft will only let you run one per city. I don't know yet (and haven't looked yet) what the disc is. That will have some impact on the course choice.

It just struck me - what a great problem to have, trying to decide which of three courses in town to use!

I'll consult the PDGA and SoCal schedules to avoid conflicts, as well as the regular monthlies schedule. Kit Carson may be in the monthly mix by then, so it gets kinda tricky.

Cinque
Mar 23 2010, 10:31 PM
That's great news, Rizbee! I was reading about them on Discraft's Web site and thought it would be fun to participate in one.

quickdisc
Mar 23 2010, 11:03 PM
I'll be running an Ace Race in San Marcos, course yet to be determined. Discraft will only let you run one per city. I don't know yet (and haven't looked yet) what the disc is. That will have some impact on the course choice.

It just struck me - what a great problem to have, trying to decide which of three courses in town to use!

I'll consult the PDGA and SoCal schedules to avoid conflicts, as well as the regular monthlies schedule. Kit Carson may be in the monthly mix by then, so it gets kinda tricky.

Sounds like the Perfect place for the Ace Race.

rizbee
Mar 24 2010, 02:08 PM
That's great news, Rizbee! I was reading about them on Discraft's Web site and thought it would be fun to participate in one.
Yes - we've held one the last two years in San Marcos and they're a lot of fun. Very casual, pretty even playing field if you set it up right by making the holes truly aceable.

I'll make sure you know about it.

One thing that's very important - if you want to play at an Ace Race, please pre-register well in advance. The field is limited by the number of player packs available and the TD must purchase these 2 weeks prior to the event. Every year we have a big crowd show up day-of expecting there will be discs available, but we run out. Sign up in advance and you're assured a spot!

quickdisc
Mar 24 2010, 11:30 PM
Yes - we've held one the last two years in San Marcos and they're a lot of fun. Very casual, pretty even playing field if you set it up right by making the holes truly aceable.

One thing that's very important - if you want to play at an Ace Race, please pre-register well in advance. The field is limited by the number of player packs available and the TD must purchase these 2 weeks prior to the event. Every year we have a big crowd show up day-of expecting there will be discs available, but we run out. Sign up in advance and you're assured a spot!

I''l try to give you cash next time I see you. Thanks in advance. :)

Cinque
Apr 06 2010, 08:08 PM
I just noticed that there is an Ace Race set up for Deerfield park in Irvine.

grizzly09
Apr 06 2010, 11:35 PM
I just noticed that there is an Ace Race set up for Deerfield park in Irvine.

Awesome!! When?

Cinque
Apr 07 2010, 02:34 AM
Here's a link to the Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=110392822321231

evan_lost
Apr 07 2010, 01:56 PM
I contacted the person running that, Holton Britt. To let everyone know Deerfield is not an accepted tournament location, as the City of Irvine will not allow it without proper clearance.

rizbee
Apr 07 2010, 02:02 PM
I contacted the person running that, Holton Britt. To let everyone know Deerfield is not an accepted tournament location, as the City of Irvine will not allow it without proper clearance.

So, is he working on said proper clearance? The last thing we want is to get on the City's bad side - they've already cut the holes down once.

evan_lost
Apr 07 2010, 05:44 PM
I haven't heard a reply Allen. But your concerns are exactly right. The city of Irvine is temperamental still, as are other cities. We ALL need to make sure we are operating with proper clearance, especially if disc golf is to have a legitimate presence in our parks.

Cinque
Apr 07 2010, 07:15 PM
Oh man! Yeah, I sent Holton an e-mail a few days ago and haven't received a response. I won't get my hopes up. There are still plans to schedule one in San Diego though, right?

evan_lost
Apr 08 2010, 03:20 PM
Speaking with Indigo on this, La Mirada might be a prime location to hold one.

Does Innova do anything like these?

quickdisc
Apr 09 2010, 02:39 PM

Any word on what type of Disc this year ? Driver , Mid-Range , Putter ?

rizbee
Jul 07 2010, 06:49 PM
The 3rd Annual San Marcos Ace Race, presented by Team Rizbee and sponsored by Discraft Discs and the San Diego Aces Disc Golf Club will be held Sunday, September 12th at Montiel Park in San Marcos. The event will begin at 10am, with awards at 4pm.

Download and mail in the entry form today:
http://www.teamrizbee.com/2010_Montiel_Ace_Race_Flyer.pdf (http://www.teamrizbee.com/2010_Montiel_Ace_Race_Flyer.pdf)

As in previous years, players play 36 holes throwing tee shots only, recording only aces and metal hits. Most holes will be shortened to enhance scoring. The winner is the player with the most aces, with ties broken by the number of metal hits. 1st prize is a new Discraft golf bag containing 8 new premium-plastic Discraft discs. There are no tee times - play when you want and make up your own groups, just make sure to finish by 3:45.

Your $25 entry fee gets you:

- 2 new prototype Discraft Discs (last year's was the Focus putter)
- a Discraft Ace Race hat
- a full-color mini-UltraStar
- a commemorative metal Ace Race bagtag
- a $67 merchandise value!!!!!!
- a contribution to the S.D. Aces Course Development Fund

Just like previous years, we will have an ace pot - buy shares for $1 each to get a piece of the payout, a mini Ace Race - $1 per round to play and you can play multiple times, and additional games and surprises.

This event is raising funds to help pay for new rubber tee pads at Kit Carson Park. Do your part to help the Aces continue to improve disc golf in San Diego County!

rizbee
Jul 29 2010, 04:07 PM
There's a new story about the 2010 San Marcos Ace Race posted on the San Diego Aces web site: http://sandiegoaces.com/2010/07/29/2010-ace-race-is-coming-soon/ (http://sandiegoaces.com/2010/07/29/2010-ace-race-is-coming-soon/)

The story includes a side-view picture of this year's Ace Race disc!