csheafer
Mar 21 2010, 08:31 AM
I am starting a league for kids in Morse Park in Neosho MO.
I am wanting to have it the same time as regular league
The reason for the same time is to allow some disc golfers to come and play and have something to do for their kids at the same time.

I have 5 children, all who will be playing. 1 will play regular league, the other 4 children ranging from 10 to 12 will be playing kids league.
Entry will be two bucks, the winner will get a dx disc of their choice.

Does anyone anywhere have league for kids now?
What age groups is there?
What would be a good way to "rate" children so that if it gets big enough, that they will have sub divisions?
I am finding that with my children, there is a lot of differance in abilitys between the 10 yr old compaired to the 12 year old.

Any help would be appreciated!

cgkdisc
Mar 21 2010, 10:46 AM
Consider using the Disc Golf United handicapping league structure.

mannyd_928
Mar 22 2010, 08:58 PM
I am starting a league for kids in Morse Park in Neosho MO.
I am wanting to have it the same time as regular league
The reason for the same time is to allow some disc golfers to come and play and have something to do for their kids at the same time.

I have 5 children, all who will be playing. 1 will play regular league, the other 4 children ranging from 10 to 12 will be playing kids league.
Entry will be two bucks, the winner will get a dx disc of their choice.

Does anyone anywhere have league for kids now?
What age groups is there?
What would be a good way to "rate" children so that if it gets big enough, that they will have sub divisions?
I am finding that with my children, there is a lot of differance in abilitys between the 10 yr old compaired to the 12 year old.

Any help would be appreciated!

What an awesome idea! I hope it works out for you guys! Keep us all informed of your progress!

audi12
Mar 24 2010, 09:23 AM
I had the pleasure of working with two really great golf guys in Michigan with a youth league called ' Underage Drivers'.

It was a hanicapped league, which made it easier. It will make it one big division. I think the last count for the Underage Drivers before I moved to NC was around 20-25 and growing. It was during the school year, so these kids played in all kinds of crappy weather.

As for payout. Local players donated plastic that they didn't throw anymore. Nothing that was in horrible shape. There were bags and discs availible for purchase for a special price and each player paid 1 dollar. We also had local players come out and play along with the kids to teach and show them new shots and techniques. It was such an awesome experience for them and well me too!!!! There were 3 girls that were such a motivation for me. And they picked it up quick! LOL

RhynoBoy
Mar 26 2010, 02:09 PM
We have a Kids league for Middle School kids here in Winfield. We get around 12 players. Its a handicap league, the winner gets to pick a disc from our "kids league box" The box contained donated discs that club members had lying around, not used discs, just extras.

We recently started charging $1 so we could buy more discs for them to choose from. If the kids don't have a dollar to spare for league, we ask that they pick up some litter in the park for about 5 minutes before league starts.

So far it's been a huge success. Not only are these suckers passionate, they're good! They're already interested in tournament play, and attented a few tournys. Two of the best kids are twins, their last name is Hizar, which we all find amusing.

I feel very fortunate that we are able to reach such a good number of players in our little town of 11,000. I know they spend their whole week in school just waiting for 4:00 on Thursdays, so they can get out and play league. But that's not the only time they play, they're out there anytime the sun is shining. :)

csheafer
Mar 27 2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your comments, they were helpful!

jrymaszewski
Jun 13 2010, 09:58 PM
good luck we could really use some people like you to start a league here in Wisconsin.

billnchristy
Jun 14 2010, 09:49 AM
Way to go! This is a great idea.