AWSmith
Mar 15 2010, 11:40 AM
ive been looking around the site trying to find out how one becomes a TD. I see all sorts of info if youre already one but cant seem to find out how to become one. any help would be appreciated. thanks

krupicka
Mar 15 2010, 11:51 AM
The first step is to be a certified official. I would strongly recommend that the next step would be to volunteer at tournaments where you can learn from established TDs.

bruce_brakel
Mar 15 2010, 12:02 PM
The first step is to be a certified official. I would strongly recommend that the next step would be to volunteer at tournaments where you can learn from established TDs.Another thing you can do is play a lot of tournaments run by different people. Make a list of things TDs do that you would want to do, and things they do that * you off. If you run the kind of tournament you would want to play, chances are you will have a happy group of disc golfers at the end of the day.

md21954
Mar 15 2010, 01:58 PM
ive been looking around the site trying to find out how one becomes a TD. I see all sorts of info if youre already one but cant seem to find out how to become one. any help would be appreciated. thanks

anyone who passes the certified TD exam ($10) and ponies up the sanctioning fee for a tournament can be an official pdga TD.
being a good TD is only a little bit more difficult.

sherijazembak
Mar 15 2010, 03:33 PM
Yes- best advice is to help out with a well run event or two. Understand that fund raising is a pick part of your job.

JerryChesterson
Mar 15 2010, 03:35 PM
Everything eveyone said here is true ... buy also don't forget that there is no substitute for just running a tourney. If you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of tourneys, I'd suggest (in addition to what was mentioned above) to just plan and run one.

cad614
Mar 15 2010, 08:27 PM
I'll echo everyone else here and tell you to volunteer at a few other tournaments before diving in to the TD pool. You'll at least learn what to expect on the day of the event, if not have a general idea of what needs to happen prior to the players showing up. Also, search out the biggest and "best" run events in your area and figure out what they're doing that you'd like to incorporate into your event.

That advise is exactly what I did. I helped with the score keeping and hole assignments at the '08 Luck of the Draw, the '09 Crush on the Concho, the '09 Wildhair, and the '09 Luck of the Draw. Then I traveled to the '09 Texas State Championships and the '09 Worlds to learn from the best. Finally, last weekend, I ran my first event - and had 147 players show up!

My checklist:
Have an plan for what you'd like to do.
Figure out what can go wrong, and find solutions.
Know what could prevent those solutions from working - find alternatives.
Repeat.

It'd also help to have an experienced staff of former volunteers or experienced TDs who can steer you in the right direction when you need help.

Good luck!

NOHalfFastPull
Mar 16 2010, 12:01 AM
Think again smyith.
Why run a tourney?
Don't do it to attract the top pros.
Don't do it to give out the most money.
Don't do it to get praise from everyone.
Don't do it to make money.
Don't try to play in the event.

Do it to pay back those that have welcomed you to their events.
Draw on their experience and seek their guidance.

It can be a frustrating but rewarding experience.

best of luck
steve timm

gotcha
Mar 16 2010, 10:45 AM
Learn from other's mistakes.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Ask former TDs about mistakes/errors which may have occurred during their events. What could they have done differently? Where was room for improvement?

davidsauls
Mar 16 2010, 12:32 PM
I think the original question was how to become a TD, not how to become a good TD.

One obvious way is to go non-sanctioned. Then you just need permission from the course owner.

For the PDGA, it's passing the open-book officials exam ($10) and becoming a certified official. For life. Well, not for life, but close to it. Then it's just a matter of filing the sanctioning agreement (more fees, of course).

Short answer is that there is no special "TD" status in the PDGA. Anyone can be one.

LastBoyScout
Mar 18 2010, 02:45 PM
The one thing im not seeing here is to help run a league or weekly event and help run your local club functions. These dont have to be PDGA sanctioned to get experience.

sure, its not hard to do, but getting use to being there early to set up, and learning what you need to do so it becomes a habit really helps.

i cant tell you how many times some of my weekly guys come up to me at someone else's tournament and ask me questions!

I would suggest running a private club function. Maybe a 5 dollar deal one saturday with divisions and the whole thing. You might even get some local sponsors to provide lunch and giftcards as prizes/ctps.

Thats how Im breaking in myself to the TD experience. That and lots of free volunteer time for local events.

bravo
Mar 21 2010, 12:11 PM
learning from a respected td in your area is very valuable.
proper prepporation will go a long way at making tourny day a lot less stressfull.
fund raising and sponsorship falls directly on a td, if you can deligate some of the details to a trusted team of volunteers there would be much less stress.
many hands makes light work.
don't expect to make everyone happy.
don't expect to get rich.
start small and work yourself up to a bigger tourny.
be carefull to enjoy the expeirience as to not burn out.

AWSmith
Apr 02 2010, 11:11 AM
I think the original question was how to become a TD, not how to become a good TD.

One obvious way is to go non-sanctioned. Then you just need permission from the course owner.

For the PDGA, it's passing the open-book officials exam ($10) and becoming a certified official. For life. Well, not for life, but close to it. Then it's just a matter of filing the sanctioning agreement (more fees, of course).

Short answer is that there is no special "TD" status in the PDGA. Anyone can be one.

thank you, this what i wanted to know.