Cinque
Feb 28 2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for a great event. It was nice meeting Suzette and Dan Duron. Thanks to the local Eldo players that helped keep the event organized. This was my first PDGA sanctioned tournament and it was a great experience. Now I know what it's like to play in heavy rain. I can't believe that first round.

discette
Mar 01 2010, 05:01 PM
Here is a link to photos from El Dorado courtesy of Patrick Sweeney. You can also see photos back to 2005.

http://picasaweb.google.com/teameldo/EldoradoOpen2010?feat=directlink

Patrick P
Mar 02 2010, 03:04 PM
Are those pics from last week? If I recall, it was raining on Saturday and more than 10% of the field DNF.

discette
Mar 02 2010, 03:25 PM
Are those pics from last week? If I recall, it was raining on Saturday and more than 10% of the field DNF.

They are from this past Sunday at the 2010 El Dorado event (when the weather was perfect!):cool:

If you look at Pat's other photo albums, you can see pics from previous years.

Patrick P
Mar 02 2010, 06:23 PM
Nice pics, complete change in weather from Saturday to Sunday. I wish I was able to play but the event filled up really fast. Curious, is there records kept on the number of DNFs per player throughout the season? One thing I noticed last year is that some players were unable to play an event because of events filling up so fast and then you would find DNFs in that some tourney.

I�m just wondering if there is some measure instituted that if certain players have a track record of DNFing a certain number of events and holding up spots for other players who wish to participate, that there is some steps taken to alleviate this problem.

I was hoping to play this event, but I didn�t sign-up fast enough (100% my fault). It�s a little disparaging when you have 13% of the field DNF, and I would have played if there were spots open (regardless of the rain, oh my rain).

I realize there could always be a potential to get into one of these events on the morning of if there are no-shows, but many of these events state there are no sign-ups on the day of the event. Just wondering what can be done if anything to insure players who sign up to play actually play the event and not hold up others wishing to participate.

rizbee
Mar 02 2010, 07:01 PM
From looking at the scores, I only see one person who played the first round then DNF'd - all the other DNFs didn't show for round #1. That means spots were open for anyone who showed up day-of.

Keeping track of DNFs or no-shows across all events in the series would be another labor-intensive task added to the list for SoCal volunteers and volunteer TDs. I don't think the payoff would be worth the effort.

Patrick P
Mar 02 2010, 08:21 PM
If it was a local event, then sure no problem driving up to take a shot at getting in wouldn't be an issue. Driving out of the city just to see if a player can get in is another matter. I was wondering if there has been some method used in the past to track players who DNF on an occasional basis.

Labor intensive tracking??? Huh, come on now, let's not exacerbate the situation. Where's the labor to open up a spreadsheet and type the players who DNF each Socal event and then list on the Socal page. I don't know if there would be any practicality from this method, but it would be nice to add some discouragement to players who do in fact DNF and take up spots from others wishing to play. Maybe those DNF players have to be put on the waitlist for the next Socal event since these events seem to fill up so fast now. Maybe a warning first, then second time they get put in the back of the bus for the next three Socal events to allow others to play first. Just a thought.

rhett
Mar 02 2010, 09:33 PM
Labor intensive? Yes. There aren't enough volunteers willing to help out with everything the way it is, so adding new tasks of dubious value is a waste.

You seem upset that you didn't register in time to get in to the El Dorado tournament. The answer to that problem is to register early and get in, not to try and disqualify other players that registered in time. As an ex-TD I can tell you that there are a whole bunch of people with all kinds of excuses that want you (the TD) to ignore PAID entry forms and hold spots just in case those people might sign up on the last day. As a TD, the right answer is "no". It makes planning the event so much easier when you have all the spots filled and all the money collected ahead of time. You have to buy player pack stuff and lunches and park permits for a full field, so I want to cover that as quickly as possible and not hope a bunch of people sign up the day before. You have to order trophies ahead of time, and it's so much better to know the field than to guess and have some division with 6 people get all mad because they don't have a trophy when all six signed up the day before.

You get the idea. I'll take the first paid entries I receive every single time and suggest that all TDs do the same. I don't care if they finish or not.

I used to believe the only reason to DNF was to be injured. Then I played a flooded Wintertime Open that should've been cancelled due to high water. Then I played a bunch of freaking tournaments with super-jerks that were having awful times and I wished they would just DNF. Then I was a super-jerk and wished I had DNFd instead of sticking it out. Then I talked to a guy who DNFd with 6 holes to go (and was in the merch!) because he was having a terrible time and was happy to tell me about it, and he was in a much better mood afterwards!

Now I say: do what you gotta do. And sign up early. :)

Patrick P
Mar 02 2010, 09:57 PM
Thank you Rhett for your comments and I completely understand the TD's perspective on this matter. But I ask if you can shift your focus to not about ways to insure a player can get into an event, but more to what to do with players who DNF.

As this sport continues to grow at its current pace, the demand to sign up for events early will definitely be a major factor to insure one gets into an event. But please look beyond the TD's perspective, and look at the player's perspective. I do believe there should be some consequence to players who sign up early and don't show or quit during an event. This is what I am trying to get after.

ibgollie
Mar 03 2010, 12:39 AM
From looking at the scores, I only see one person who played the first round then DNF'd - all the other DNFs didn't show for round #1. That means spots were open for anyone who showed up day-of.

The scores aren't right. Many people quit after the first round or during the second. I think they just didn't enter scores for ppl that didn't finish the first day. 2 ppl on my card quit during the 2nd round...quitters....bleh.

rhett
Mar 03 2010, 01:00 AM
As this sport continues to grow at its current pace, the demand to sign up for events early will definitely be a major factor to insure one gets into an event. But please look beyond the TD's perspective, and look at the player's perspective. I do believe there should be some consequence to players who sign up early and don't show or quit during an event. This is what I am trying to get after.

There are consequences for signing up and not showing up on tourney morning: you forfeit your entry fee. If you DNF you get no PDGA or SoCal points.

You should try to un-focus on this particular event. It was raining like heck and people bailed. I don't know if you've ever played ElDo, but that course doesn't drain so well. The entire 9 fairway turns into a giant puddle that lasts for a few days, as do some other spots. I'm sure that swayed some people to say "forget it."

DNF'ing isn't really that big a deal. It doesn't happen all the time, and SoCal tourneys have been selling out fast on the Am side for years. I don't know of anyone who signs up for a tourney intending to not play or intending to quit in the middle. We live in SoCal, so bad weather will send people home. That's why we pay so much for houses and gas. :) Fortunately we rarely get bad weather.

discette
Mar 03 2010, 11:14 AM
I helped with player check in on Saturday morning at the event Patrick is talking about. As far as I know only two players did not show up for Round One. This is a case where the weather likely caused the majority of players to drop out, but not necessarily. One player barely made the event as he was caught directly behind a car involved in an injury accident on the freeway. Another player pulled out during Round One because a family member was ill. I heard another player talking about how his family was evacuated because of fear of flooding. I wouldn't expect these players to finish when their families are in crisis and I wouldn't want to deny them entry into another event because of it.

In over ten years of being a TD, the number one reason players pull out before an event is illness or family crisis. Next is schedule changes by the player's work or family. The main reasons players DNF during an event is again illness or family problems followed by the player having a bad round or a bad day. Many times I don't even find out why a player does not show or leaves early. I would hate to report them and find out they didn't show or DNF'd because their Grandma went to the hospital.

I really do not see DNF's as a chronic problem that requires some type of solution. As long as a player does not leave a twosome, it is sometimes best for everyone that they leave. Again, I would not want a player to be disciplined or get a bad rep because of a chronic injury or recurring family problems.

Reporting DNF players will not prevent events from selling out quickly nor is it a fair way to allow "more worthy" players into a sold out event.

Patrick P
Mar 03 2010, 12:13 PM
Both of you have more than enough experience about these matters so I do appreciate your insight. Doesn't sound like a major problem and the weather certainly played a big factor in the decision for many in this particular event. I see what you mean about how difficult it would be to categorize or make a judgment to a player that DNFs. I just didn't know if this has ever been addressed before and if there were any prior methods used to discourage DNFs.

I've run across a few players who have DNF simply because they had a miserable round and didn't want their player rating effected and walked away with a bad attitude. I guess in the end, the sacrifice of the entry fee would be sufficient to give a player second thoughts to playing or completing their rounds.

Just a case in point, last year I was able to get into the Memorial the Monday of the event, and this was my very first rated PDGA event. Although I was battling a chronic illness and had two of my worst PDGA rated rounds ever, I had the best time in my life and cherished every moment of it. I would say that the Memorial experience is what ignited the fire in me to play PDGA events and become actively involved in disc golf. Thank you to the players that did notify the TD you would not be able to play giving other players as myself the chance to play.

This year, I signed up for the Memorial in Nov-09, and I could never get the time off from work, so I notified the TD a month in advance that I would not be able to play, freeing up a spot for someone else to play. I could have maybe just stayed on the reg list and got that sweet player's package but I knew so many people wanted to play this event and I didn't want to hold out others from playing.

My feeling is that once I commit to something I stick to my guns whatever the case maybe. You stated very acceptable reasons why certain players weren't able to play that weekend and I agree that things just come up or happen that could likely prevent a player showing up. It doesn't really sound like it's a big problem nor are there any solutions to the matter, it's just the way unexpected things happen.

evan_lost
Mar 05 2010, 10:59 AM
"PAT -My feeling is that once I commit to something I stick to my guns whatever the case maybe. You stated very acceptable reasons why certain players weren't able to play that weekend and I agree that things just come up or happen that could likely prevent a player showing up. It doesn't really sound like it's a big problem nor are there any solutions to the matter, it's just the way unexpected things happen."

Dude so I played but DNF'd two holes before the end of the 2nd round.. Alas my first round wasnt counted. This is shown for most ppl who played last weekend. For one, IT WAS RAINING.. How can you accurately predict the numbers of people that will drop during a round in the rain. Suzette is totally right, with only 2 people not showing up before round 1, the field still had a good size to it, all around.

Personal opinion Pat, but I think you care too much about each and every event. The Memorial (A Tier) is one thing, but a local event IN The RAIN should allow for some exceptions..

evan_lost
Mar 05 2010, 11:01 AM
The scores aren't right. Many people quit after the first round or during the second. I think they just didn't enter scores for ppl that didn't finish the first day. 2 ppl on my card quit during the 2nd round...quitters....bleh.

I blame Luke... ;)
He started it.

csrenda79
Mar 08 2010, 03:24 PM
LOL! No sympathy for anyone who doesn't pay attention to registration lists to find out how fast an event is filling up AND no sympathy for anyone who DNF's because they aren't able to handle the conditions! Sounds like a thread full of excuses!

Oh and Evan is right...it would be one thing if it were Memorial, but this is ElDo...who really cares where you finish (or if you finish) anyway.

Patrick P
Mar 08 2010, 06:35 PM
You sign up, you play, otherwise notify the TD in advance or have a viable reason for not playing. You afraid to get wet, boo hoo, play on. Enough said.

csrenda79
Mar 08 2010, 09:23 PM
But Pat, you can't whine about it if you didn't sign up on time...Their money is as good as yours, if they pay and decide to bounce it's their right. Not that it's the right decision, but they are entitled to do it. You know how tourneys are bro, if you really want to play it you will have your entry in early so that you don't have to sweat such issues.

This battle's not that important, son. You know that. Pick the ones that are...

Godfather
Mar 08 2010, 10:33 PM
You sign up, you play, otherwise notify the TD in advance or have a viable reason for not playing. You afraid to get wet, boo hoo, play on. Enough said.

I agree with with carl... enough whining already. Sign up early or shut up. Eio was opened and filled while I was in vegas at the gentlemans club but you don't hear me complaining, and you won't after the event if people decide they aren't going to play it. I would expect your rant from someone new to socal events, but you've been around long enough to know what's up.

rizbee
Mar 09 2010, 03:41 PM
Whew...so it's not just me.