JHBlader86
Feb 15 2010, 03:49 AM
Played a tournament on Sat, and the pros and ams played different courses, and since ratings are based on the Top 10 rated players in a tournament will that negatively affect round ratings for ams who did not play the same course as the pros? I hope I'm making sense.

discette
Feb 15 2010, 08:58 AM
Played a tournament on Sat, and the pros and ams played different courses, and since ratings are based on the Top 10 rated players in a tournament will that negatively affect round ratings for ams who did not play the same course as the pros? I hope I'm making sense.

Ratings are not based on the Top 10 rated players. Only five propagators are needed to determine round ratings and a propagator is a current member whose rating is over 799 and is based on at least 8 rounds.

Here is the link to the information:
http://www.pdga.com/faq/ratings/how-are-event-ratings-calculated

As long as the TD inputted the proper course information for each division, the unofficial ratings already showing for the event should be very close to the official ratings.

JHBlader86
Feb 15 2010, 12:40 PM
Thank you!

bruce_brakel
Mar 03 2010, 01:56 AM
This is how that affects ratings:

A pool of all ams is more likely to have more improving players than a pool of all pros, where many of them have plateaued or are not improving that fast. An 890 MA3 player who is currently playing 920 golf is going to be treated as an 890 for purposes of calculating ratings. An 890 FPO who has been shooting 890 golf for the past three years will also be treated as an 890 for ratings purposes. So even though one might play three throws better than the other, they are both 890s. So the pool of all ams is likely to get lower ratings for their efforts.

We saw this effect at the Michigan State championships this year. I shot the same score under the same conditions as Geoff Bennett. He got a 1020ish unofficial and I got a 990ish unofficial because we shot them at different times in different pools. His pool was all pros; my pool was intermediates and old guys. Fortunately, when calculating official ratings the PDGA tossed all rounds on that course in together and Geoff and I both got an official 998.