dthrow
Jan 18 2010, 10:21 AM
I am a little disturbed about the name and advertising for this new disc. IMO it is a very distasteful name for a disc. Why would you name a disc after a weapon which has destroyed 2 cities and killed numerous people? THen promote your disc with images of gas masks and mushroom clouds. I would be interested to hear how some of the players from Japan or any other player, feels about the name. I understand it is just a name but after seeing the ad on the back of the mag it just makes me feel uneasy.

geo
Jan 18 2010, 12:42 PM
I agree, of all the options out there, they chose that dumb name. It's only a name, but it has major implications. The ad is lame, can't believe the editors let that one go. I know this is a world now in which just about anything goes, but that's a little extreme. Bad choice Discraft!

the_kid
Jan 18 2010, 04:56 PM
I am a little disturbed about the name and advertising for this new disc. IMO it is a very distasteful name for a disc. Why would you name a disc after a weapon which has destroyed 2 cities and killed numerous people? THen promote your disc with images of gas masks and mushroom clouds. I would be interested to hear how some of the players from Japan or any other player, feels about the name. I understand it is just a name but after seeing the ad on the back of the mag it just makes me feel uneasy.

This came up somewhere else and we came to the conclusion that the photos in the marketing campaign are pretty generic and there have been many worse names.

I will find the thread and post a link.

the_kid
Jan 18 2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14994&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90

"I don't think the name should be taken too seriously...there are many disc names that are "bad" things. Destroyer, Wraith, Banshee, Tsunami, Demon, Predator, Monster, Cyclone, Venom...just to name a few."

This was followed by more opinions but this kinda summed it up.

JerryChesterson
Jan 19 2010, 05:25 PM

With all the people that had their lives destroyed by Hurrican Katrina I am demanding that the Miami Hurricans change their name. Also Discraft should discontinue the Cyclone.

Seriously, this is what people have to complain about?

warlocks00
Jan 19 2010, 06:04 PM
With all the people that had their lives destroyed by Hurrican Katrina I am demanding that the Miami Hurricans change their name. Also Discraft should discontinue the Cyclone.

And with the recent guns in locker room deal: I demand the Washington Wizards change their name back to the Bullets!

Oh wait...that's backwards isn't it!

the_kid
Jan 19 2010, 07:31 PM
Well the TX guys don't see a problem but the CA guy does. Seems like a perfectly ordinary thing id you ask me. lol

dthrow
Jan 20 2010, 10:29 AM
Jerry, this is a discussion board correct, so lets discuss. Hurricanes and cyclones are mother natures work, not MAN made like a nuclear bomb. How many people were killed in Japan by the US trying to sieze the power(discraft slogan) using the nukes? Doesn't even compare to Katrina deaths.
Like i said it is just a name but a poor choice IMO. I have 2 young kids and when the oldest asked about what a Nuke was and what a gas mask was, i was uneasy trying to explain that it is a WEAPON of mass destruction, and then to have her ask me why would a company name a disc after such a horrible thing. All i could say was sometimes companies make poor choices. It is much easier to talk to a 10 year old about what a hurricane or tornado is than such a horrible weapon. Bad comparison my friend, try again.

JerryChesterson
Jan 20 2010, 10:40 AM
Jerry, this is a discussion board correct, so lets discuss. Hurricanes and cyclones are mother natures work, not MAN made like a nuclear bomb. How many people were killed in Japan by the US trying to sieze the power(discraft slogan) using the nukes? Doesn't even compare to Katrina deaths.
Like i said it is just a name but a poor choice IMO. I have 2 young kids and when the oldest asked about what a Nuke was and what a gas mask was, i was uneasy trying to explain that it is a WEAPON of mass destruction, and then to have her ask me why would a company name a disc after such a horrible thing. All i could say was sometimes companies make poor choices. It is much easier to talk to a 10 year old about what a hurricane or tornado is than such a horrible weapon. Bad comparison my friend, try again.

In my opinion, this level of worry about an issue such as this absurd and a waste of time. It is kind of like Nancy Reagen saying rap lyrics caused gang violence. Its the other way around. Art imitates life.

dthrow
Jan 20 2010, 10:40 AM
THe lack of kids playing disc golf is whats keeping the sport from growing to where we all want it, and when the full back page of the PDGAs magazine is an advertisement portraying such a bad thing is poor taste. I would say the same thing if discraft was advertising destroyed houses for the cyclone and people standing on the roof of their houses for a disc called a hurricane, or even the if the DGA showing people being washed away for their disc the tsunami. There are lots of dumb golf disc names but this one is a bit over the top. Discraft could have shown a nuclear reactor which also portrays power but instead they choose gas masks and mushroom clouds.

dthrow
Jan 20 2010, 11:11 AM
Jerry, can you explain to me why its absurd and a waste of time to discuss something i feel needs discussion, again this is a discussion board right? This ad is being shown all over the world via our PDGA magazine. That makes me feel like it is not a waste of time. I wonder how much of the current NUKE ads and promotion will be done at the Japan Open. Do you think Discraft would use the same ad to promote the disc at this event? I would be very surprised if they did, ok well maybe not to surprised since they allready feel the ad and name of the disc is fine. Like a buddy of mine said 'this is America" , seize the power with nukes. Your right art does imitate life.

warlocks00
Jan 20 2010, 11:38 AM
So if a disc came out called "the kamikaze", you'd have the same issues?

dthrow
Jan 20 2010, 01:46 PM
I might, but i didnt post here to talk about hypothetical names and what ifs. I posted to talk about the real name NUKE and Discrafts,IMO poor advertising choices and the PDGA editors poor choice to allow the ad to run.

warlocks00
Jan 20 2010, 01:59 PM
I posted to talk about the real name .

Ok then, how about the Assassin and it's logo?

dthrow
Jan 20 2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for pointing that one out it,another stupid name with a not so great logo. We could go on and on about disc names which may offend people, tank, stinger, archangel and so on. My whole point is that with the growing popularity of this game with younger more impressionable kids, i think leading disc makers should take a little more time thinking about the discs names and especially how to promote them They also may want to take some time to consider the image that they want to portray to these kids. If they want to portray violence and weapons as something cool, then so be it.

twoputtok
Jan 20 2010, 04:08 PM
Every sport has stupid names, snowboarding, skate boarding, at least stupid as you see it. WOW, must be REAL sensitive. I took a quick look at some other names out there.

Snowbaording: "Charlie Slasher" I'm sure anyone named Charlie would be offended. Oh heres one for you. Just imagine some time before Christmas, your daughter tells you she wants a "Moustache Rider" on Christmas morning. I'd bet you have a heart attack over that one.

Seriously, there are many many things in life bigger than this.

geo
Jan 20 2010, 05:46 PM
We're not talking about other sports here--those names don't project to the rest of the world anything to do with our sport.
"In my opinion, this level of worry about an issue such as this absurd and a waste of time," then why are you wasting your time posting on it? "Seriously, this is what people have to complain about?" If you haven't noticed, people complain about a lot of stuff on the discussion board, this is just one of them, and it might actually be important--although you guys don't seem to think so.
"Seriously, there are many many things in life bigger than this." Then, once again, why are you wasting your time--there's bigger fish...
Most of the other names mentioned for discs are mythical creatures that don't exist or predators, not weapons that have killed millions of people with an ad basically confirming this.
My wife is from Texas and I've spent a lot of time there. I know other people who are disturbed with that ad and are from Tx., it's not just a Ca. thing.
Dthrow is right on with his posts, this not the image we need to be sending!

bcary93
Jan 20 2010, 07:31 PM
It's often difficult for people to empathize with the suffering of others. There are people would be up in arms (rightly so) if they named a disc the "Zyklon B".

Maybe what I should have said is that it is difficult for some people to empathize with the suffering of others. Some people just don't give a rip - they might politely tell you something along the lines of "don't like the name, then don't throw the disc."

Could they name a disc the "Abductor" or "Kidnapper" and avoid a crap storm?

On the other hand they are just words - just not ones that I want to think about while doing something as awesome as playing disc golf!

DiscJay
Jan 20 2010, 10:16 PM
I have to agree with Mr Chesterson on this one. It's just not that big of a deal. When you say that this isn't a good representation for our sport, how many people do you seriously think are going to see the Nuke and think to themselves "I can't play this sport, they support nukes."? I just don't see why this name seems to be getting such a bad rap. I will have no problem explaining to my daughter when she is old enough about what nuclear weapons and power plants are and how they are used and that this is just a disc golf disc. If I have done my job as a parent up to that point I am sure she will see it for what it is, just a disc name. Big deal.

perica
Jan 20 2010, 10:58 PM
I would be interested to hear how some of the players from Japan or any other player, feels about the name.

I wonder if katanas have killed more people than nukes. I'm sure they've been used a lot more often.

JerryChesterson
Jan 21 2010, 11:18 AM
THe lack of kids playing disc golf is whats keeping the sport from growing to where we all want it, and when the full back page of the PDGAs magazine is an advertisement portraying such a bad thing is poor taste. I would say the same thing if discraft was advertising destroyed houses for the cyclone and people standing on the roof of their houses for a disc called a hurricane, or even the if the DGA showing people being washed away for their disc the tsunami. There are lots of dumb golf disc names but this one is a bit over the top. Discraft could have shown a nuclear reactor which also portrays power but instead they choose gas masks and mushroom clouds.

Kids think names like the Nuke are cool and your opinion is lame. If we want more kids to play should we start naming idscs after Twilight characters?

geo
Jan 21 2010, 12:23 PM
It's not just the name, it's the FULL page ad on the back of our only magazine that depicts a mushroom cloud with people that have gas masks on. It doesn't show a reactor powering city lights to play night golf, it depicts mass destruction with the fall out afterwards. If the magazine is turned backwards at a news stand, this will be the first thing people see of our sport. I'm not saying this will be their opinion of our sport, but could shape the opinion they eventually form. I think if it was in the middle of the mag., then it wouldn't have such an effect. But it's a full back page--can't imagine an ad like this at a national event with t.v. coverage. Do you recall any other sports with mushroom clouds and gas masks in the background while someone was swing a club, or shooting a basketball, or kicking a soccer ball--no. Poor choice.

perica
Jan 21 2010, 01:34 PM
I want one with little boy and fat man hotstamps.

warlocks00
Jan 21 2010, 02:43 PM
It's not just the name, it's the FULL page ad on the back of our only magazine that depicts a mushroom cloud with people that have gas masks on. .

There are no "people" on the back of the mag, just a gas mask with a basket in each eyes above a mushroom cloud. It actually looks like a desert test explosion. I've seen mushroom clouds on Bugs Bunny(minus the gas mask of course). But then again, I'm sure bugs offends certain people as well.

Giles
Jan 21 2010, 03:28 PM
lol

"wow dad, this cake is 'tha bomb"

"that is it young man, you are grounded until you can learn to not use language like that in my home. Do you know how insensitive that is? I thought I raised you better."

agyba
Jan 21 2010, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=dthrow;1408928] My whole point is that with the growing popularity of this game with younger more impressionable kids, i think leading disc makers should take a little more time thinking about the discs names and especially how to promote them [QUOTE]

Maybe they are thinking more about it then you realize ... spent any time with a 14 year old in the video game store lately ...

"Modern Warfare, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Killer 7, Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault, Left 4 Dead, Hitman Blood Money, Duke Nukem Forever, Doom" ... the list is endless

These are some of the TOP SELLING videogames of all time ... a market which I think we can all agree is much larger than our humble sports ... and one which has grown to its stature in less time.

Me thinks the marketing execs at Playstation and XBox know something we don't ...

I'm with the boys from TX on this one ...

agyba
Jan 21 2010, 04:11 PM
Do you recall any other sports with mushroom clouds and gas masks in the background while someone was swing a club, or shooting a basketball, or kicking a soccer ball--no. Poor choice.

lol ... Ever seen an english soccer game live ... all I saw in the background at the last one I was at was cops in gas masks, throwing cannisters of tear gas into the rioting crowds, that had lit half the stadium on fire, as they beat the fans with their clubs ... just saying

dthrow
Jan 21 2010, 05:35 PM
Wow Jerry "your opinion is lame" is that how they teach you down in texas to respond to an opinion you don't agree with. Genius.
Agyba, you do make a good point about the video games but dont you agree those game title somewhat explain what the game is about? How does NUKE relate to disc golf or that disc? I am not a gamer nor do i have anything against gaming but i can tell you I wouldnt want my kids playing those types of games thats why we play disc golf. A better activity for children in my opinion. Out of curiousity are there age restrictions for buying such games?

DiscJay
Jan 21 2010, 07:30 PM
I don't think there would be anything wrong with disc golf following the gaming path. Is there something specific you have against gaming? I mean sure there are some things in gaming that aren't for everyone, but the key really is raising your kids to understand the difference between games and reality. I really think people in this country are getting way to sensitive about things. Everything is offensive to someone these days. I'm getting sick of having to think about everything I do and say because someone might be offended by it. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't go out of my way to offend people but good lord things are getting out of hand.

dthrow
Jan 21 2010, 08:45 PM
Discjay, i am not offended by the name Nuke, i just dont like it. I also dont like mushrooms but I am not offended by them. There is a difference between not liking something and being offended by something.
I agree with you we are living in a very PC world.

DiscJay
Jan 21 2010, 09:34 PM
dthrow, I can respect that. Although I definitely don't share your opinion on it. I'm not trying to change your mind here as you can like or dislike anything you want. I think the name actually fits pretty well. I hear guys all the time commenting about a long throw saying "that was a bomb" or "he/she really bombed that one" or some other variation. As for the advertising, again I really don't have a problem with it as it is the most powerful bomb there is. Do nukes cause great harm, sure. But lets be honest here, is it really that big of a deal that a company named their product "Nuke"? Not really.

As far as the advertisement, like some of the other guys have said, there are mushroom clouds in kids cartoons all the time. There are mushroom clouds in plenty of other advertisements and painted straight on other sporting products like skateboards and snowboards. Again, not really that big of a deal.

It just has to be put into perspective, this is a disc golf disc and not the end of the world(pun intended).

Jeff_LaG
Jan 22 2010, 12:55 AM

dthrow,

I see your point but I think this is political correctness run amok. I work for a Fortune 500 company and we get diversity, political correctness & "sensitivity" training all the time and this is not something I think anyone would ever bat an eyelash at. As someone who is a moderator for several disc golf message boards, a nationally touring rock band, and one of the largest fantasy football communities on the internet, I can't see anyone in any of those genres ever taking offense to something like this.

Sports like skateboarding, snowboarding, BMX, and many others have similar, if not far more extreme, names in their product lines. Frankly, as successful as those sports have been, I think disc golf could use edgy marketing like those sports employ for even increased exposure.

Newhouse, it was cool meeting you at Pro Worlds in Flagstaff in 2003 and again, I get the point you are trying to make. But I think you are going to be almost alone on this one.

dthrow
Jan 22 2010, 07:36 AM
Jeff, nice meeting you as well.

I could care less whether i am alone on this or not. I know people who agree with me so i know i am not alone. i didnt post this to try and win a popularity contest, all that junk stayed in high school. I posted about the image our games disc makers and governing body try and promote.
As i posted 2 posts before yours i am not offended, i just think its poor taste and i hope some of the disc makers and the PDGAsee that some people do care about the image that is portrayed.
We have the boards to discuss things big or small, we tallk about thekids $1 worlds idea, Nikkos lack of coverage after the USDGC, tournamenst, tds, the pdgas poor marketing director, payouts, rules and so on. Thats why these boards are here. Why should we not talk about the not so big things, as so many on this thread said this is?
You say disc golf should be a bit more edgy. Why not start naming disc something like Pineapple Express or Big Bud and then show a big old herb bud? People would be up in arms if the back of the PDGA magazine showed some kid with a joint in his mouth holding a disc with a big pot leaf on it. Its just a name and an ad, no big deal right? This is Disc GOlf.

dthrow
Jan 22 2010, 07:47 AM
I am interested what some non disc golfing folks feel about this ad. i think i may try some sort of poll today during my daily activites. I will bring my magazine and show as many people as i can today. I will also ask a couple questions. Something like Do you like the ad, what is the ad for, is it appropriate for a kid under the age of 12 or something along those lines. I will post my findings later. I also ask anyone who reads this to do the same if they can and feel free to post the type of reactions you get. Think of it as disc golf promotion day and be sure to show every person the back page of our latest PDGA magazine. The ad there is no big deal, edgy, people wont even" bat an eyelash at".
A question for whoever choses to answer, comparing 2 of the ads in the Disc Golfer, Innovas R-pro Boss, or the Discraft nuke ad,which in your opinion portrays the sport of disc golf better? Which would you show to a potential sponsor. There is a line and imo this Nuke ad is getting close if not over. A Big Bud ad would also be close if not over.

JimKelly
Jan 22 2010, 10:05 AM
I am interested what some non disc golfing folks feel about this ad. i think i may try some sort of poll today during my daily activites. I will bring my magazine and show as many people as i can today. I will also ask a couple questions. Something like Do you like the ad, what is the ad for, is it appropriate for a kid under the age of 12 or something along those lines. I will post my findings later. I also ask anyone who reads this to do the same if they can and feel free to post the type of reactions you get. Think of it as disc golf promotion day and be sure to show every person the back page of our latest PDGA magazine. The ad there is no big deal, edgy, people wont even" bat an eyelash at".
A question for whoever choses to answer, comparing 2 of the ads in the Disc Golfer, Innovas R-pro Boss, or the Discraft nuke ad,which in your opinion portrays the sport of disc golf better? Which would you show to a potential sponsor. There is a line and imo this Nuke ad is getting close if not over. A Big Bud ad would also be close if not over.

Looks like the ad worked! It got you talking...

dthrow
Jan 22 2010, 10:23 AM
Your right Jim, it did get me talking, to bad im not talking about running out and buying one. Instead im talking about how poor of an ad and name it is. I am not in marketing but i thought the reason was to get people to buy your product. This ad does not do that for me so from that aspect it hasn't worked. The ad doesnt even say anything about what the disc does or what kind of disc it is. Poor but it did get me talking. I guess even negative publicity can be good. IF thats the path Discraft was going for than they did a great job.

agyba
Jan 22 2010, 10:49 AM
Agyba, you do make a good point about the video games but dont you agree those game title somewhat explain what the game is about? How does NUKE relate to disc golf or that disc? I am not a gamer nor do i have anything against gaming but i can tell you I wouldnt want my kids playing those types of games thats why we play disc golf. A better activity for children in my opinion. Out of curiousity are there age restrictions for buying such games?

dthrow I do agree with you ... and 'NUKE' has nothing to do with disc golf, however nor do anyother disc names out there.

I wouldn't want my kids playing those gruesome games either ... and I think that anyone who has children that are interested in disc golf should take serious stock in the fact they are interested, active, and not glued to a tv screen. You guys are doing more than one thing right.

But it seems when we are young the most alluring things are those we do not fully understand and most importantly, can not have. Business recognizes this fact.

Objectively I feel one needs to look at the big picture here ... any manufacturers #1 goal in business is to make a profit, before it can consider promoting, educating and growing the sport said buisness NEEDS CASH ... cash, cash, cash ... whether we agree with it or not, that is what makes the business world go round ... it is simple, that is capitalism

Lets not ignore the market either. Conservitavely how many disc golfers are there constantly buying new discs every year ... 10 000 - 100 000 ... more even? Even with those numbers, now split those consumers amongst all the disc manufacturers out there .... Innova(#1), discraft, and all the newer growing companies that are attracting that consumer base away from the big guns such as latitude 64, DGA, ... now pay salaries, materials, warehouse space, taxes, etc... At the end of the day the pie doesn't split as many ways as you want it to.

Now look at what this disc release means for discraft ... it is their first speed 13 driver ... the newest, latest, greatest technology out there and they are going head to head with the new boss and katana which have been incredibly well received ... to discraft this disc HAS to take and it HAS to sell ... how do you do that? you get noticed!

That is a singular goal 'You only have to see an ad once for it to work'(so the marketing gurus say) Discraft wanted to make sure they were noticed ... i mean look at all this free publicity ... you mentioned you were going to show the ad to non golfers for there comments ... that is FREE exposure to a new client base and all discraft did was print and ad. Good or bad impressions, the only name your friends will know that is accossiated with disc golf after you show them will be discraft. It is amazing how advertising works.

A graphic ad campaign ... backed by a solid product generates attention ... no one here can disagree (lol) ... i think discraft has actually done a very good job identifying with the new paradigm, and has chosen a proven marketing direction. (Which was my point about the videogames)

agyba
Jan 22 2010, 11:54 AM
Why not start naming disc something like Pineapple Express or Big Bud and then show a big old herb bud? People would be up in arms if the back of the PDGA magazine showed some kid with a joint in his mouth holding a disc with a big pot leaf on it. Its just a name and an ad, no big deal right? This is Disc GOlf.

stick to your guns dthrow

I might, but i didnt post here to talk about hypothetical names and what ifs. I posted to talk about the real name NUKE and Discrafts,IMO poor advertising choices and the PDGA editors poor choice to allow the ad to run.

geo
Jan 22 2010, 01:40 PM
At what point does a manufacturer have a moral obligation to the people and the sport they're trying to make money on and the culture that was decimated by the mass weapon of destruction? Never? Sometimes? Is it all about the money? Is that why you play, didn't think so. If the roles were reversed, and Japan had dropped the bomb on us, do you think that ad would be acceptable? No. We're not talking about fantasy here, we're talking about something that really happened and is a possibility every day. There are so many other ideas and ways Discraft could have gone about the name and ad. What's next, the S.C.U.D. with and ad displaying them en route, the AK-47 with the gun displayed? Those are extremes and I don't expect that, but you see where I'm going, and the ad for me is more disturbing than the name. Discraft needs to stand by there product and not resort to poor ad choices to sell the disc. Innova has never done this(they have simple, classy ads) and people buy those discs, why can't Discraft do the same?

dthrow
Jan 22 2010, 05:01 PM
Agyba, your right i didnt want to start throwing out hypothetical names but i wanted to hear how Jeff felt about what also could be considered edgy advertising.
Geo i agree with you that the ad is worse than the name and I am really interested if Discraft will use that ad on any Japan Open literature which i am sure Discraft will be a sponsor. Anyone who goes please let me know if they do. I also really like your idea about the nuclear powered lights so the game can be played at night, what a good angle for an ad about a disc called the nuke. You are still seizing the power just a power of a different kind a power used for peaceful purposes not warfare.
So far the people i have shown the mag to have had mixed feelings, some dont care others agree with me, a poor option especially in the times we are in. THey said the ads which told about discs, what they did, what kind they were were a better choice for a family game than the one about the nuclear bomb.
This game is about fun that is why i play and when i see this ad fun is not what comes to mind, what comes to mind is fear, death and destruction.

my_hero
Jan 23 2010, 10:52 AM
I'm still waiting for a company to grow a set and call a disc The Hanging Chad......and i'm not talking about a ballot's hanging chad.

schick
Jan 24 2010, 12:44 AM
I'm still waiting for a company to grow a set and call a disc The Hanging Chad......and i'm not talking about a ballot's hanging chad.

I prefer the shiznit!

j_d
Jan 25 2010, 04:02 PM
I like the name. "Nuke" has transcended into a word in our vocabulary. It has multiple meanings now and for discs, has essentially the same meaning as the "destroyer" which I don't hear anyone complaining about.

JerryChesterson
Jan 26 2010, 10:11 AM
Quick Quick! I saw on the tournament thread there is a series called the "Keep It Green" series. Its time for the zealots to go to that thread and complain about how the name gives disc golf a bad image!

geo
Jan 26 2010, 06:29 PM
I like the name. "Nuke" has transcended into a word in our vocabulary. It has multiple meanings now and for discs, has essentially the same meaning as the "destroyer" which I don't hear anyone complaining about.

I agree, the name is part of our vocabulary, but have you seen any ads with the disc "destroyer" destroying things? We're talking about the ad here as much as the name.

Quick Quick! I saw on the tournament thread there is a series called the "Keep It Green" series. Its time for the zealots to go to that thread and complain about how the name gives disc golf a bad image!

Now you're just being silly. Dthrow's right, you really don't like to discuss, do you?

JerryChesterson
Jan 27 2010, 10:09 AM
Now you're just being silly. Dthrow's right, you really don't like to discuss, do you?

I love to discuss, I'm a philosopher by training. Silly is claiming that the Nuke is giving disc golf a bad name. Once we get rid of all the nukes (real ones) stop nuclear proliferation, and all together stop war then I can be persuaded that a disc name can influence our children.

gippy
Jan 29 2010, 10:29 AM
Why hasn't any demanded the Change of the name of the Washington "Redskins" thats pretty offensive in our PC world not to me but just saying............ Oh wait cuz the U.S. dosen't really care about them we killed them took thier land and made them live in remote places and confined them........ Okay bit off topic back to your regular schduled thread sorry

tkieffer
Jan 29 2010, 11:13 AM
Many have and many still do.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2006/08/11/should-the-washington-redskins-be-forced-to-change-its-name/tab/article/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_Mascot_Controversy

As for product name changes, there have been many examples. A notable recent one was that Toyota dropped the Celica Tsunami model name in 2005 after the disaster in Asia.

In business classes, at some point product and business naming discussions come up with recommendations to avoid names that might result in bad connotations down the road. You might not want to be the owner of Quake Electric if the majority of your customers are in California.

Not making or taking a side on the Nuke discussion personally. But the product may not sell very well in Japan with the current product promotion approach.

my_hero
Jan 29 2010, 01:52 PM
Not making or taking a side on the Nuke discussion personally. But the product may not sell very well in Japan with the current product promotion approach.

Coupled with they'll never see it in 150 class, you're probably right. ;)

tkieffer
Jan 29 2010, 02:00 PM
Shoot, I was waiting for it to come out in 150 class before trying it out!

dstearns5
Jan 29 2010, 02:32 PM
Oh no!! Kids are going to see the ad and start building atomic weapons it thier rooms, because the ad makes it seem cool. They will probably grow up to be militant dicators, too. Better change the name, so the world will be a safe place!!!

dstearns5
Jan 29 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't like the name Leopard either. My great grandfather was mauled by one. Therefore, it is distasteful to name a sporting good after such a vicious animal.

mrpbody33
Jan 29 2010, 04:04 PM
If you don't like the name of the disc then don't buy it!

If you find Discraft's marketing campaign offensive then don't buy their products!

End of story.

krazyeye
Jan 29 2010, 04:05 PM
MaRV = Manueverable renentry vehicle

Vern
Jan 29 2010, 04:23 PM
Maybe they can name discs with more comfortable names to appease the masses.

Here are a few I came up with:

1. The Wuss
2. The Teddy Bear or Koala
3. The Smiley Face
4. The Hugger

Mr. P'Body summed it up..If you don't like it then don't buy it.

perica
Jan 31 2010, 11:40 PM
maybe there can be a special south park edition called the snuke.

Frodo_Bagger
Feb 01 2010, 12:02 AM
This thread is very entertaining for the most part , but if they changed the name of the disc it would just make it more sought after than it already is . There are a couple of them on Ebay wanting a hundie a piece.I agree that kids would buy more discs if there were crazier names so I think this is pretty tame as names go .I think if someone asks what a Nuke is you should say a weapon , they didnt ask for a history lesson so leave all the death out of it enjoy killing your competition instead.

Now I'm going to throw a grenade with my Nuke , a tomahawk with my Warrior , thread a gap with my Sniper,kill a line with a Reaper, impress the ladies with a Flash (dont look ethel ) , and cut a few strokes off with my Katana

Peace out !

Mickey B.

exczar
Feb 01 2010, 05:53 PM
impress the ladies with a Flash (dont look ethel )

You're giving away your age with that quote, even though it should be for a SkyStreak instead of a Flash.

Frodo_Bagger
Feb 01 2010, 08:33 PM
You're giving away your age with that quote, even though it should be for a SkyStreak instead of a Flash.

I know , I was just hoping someone would get that one. Heres another one that will date me .I told my buddie after he read this thread , that if we take disc names literally, I need a company to come out with an IKE TURNER to improve my backhand. I better shut up before someone thinks I promote violence on this serious thread. HA HA.

Peace Out !

Mickey B.

warlocks00
Feb 02 2010, 10:25 AM
Now I'm going to throw a grenade with my Nuke , a tomahawk with my Warrior , thread a gap with my Sniper,kill a line with a Reaper, impress the ladies with a Flash (dont look ethel ) , and cut a few strokes off with my Katana

I need a company to come out with an IKE TURNER to improve my backhand

That is some good stuff!!!! :)

ekauserud
Mar 09 2010, 09:13 PM
Ever heard of "BOMBING" a drive? Guessing a nuke is THE biggest bomb? You should call the ACLU. Bet they would offer far more discussion to your liking.

*biting tongue*

JerryChesterson
Mar 10 2010, 10:00 AM
They should come out with the Discraft MAOB

MOAB = Mother Of All Bombs

Or the Innova BOHICA :eek:

krazyeye
Mar 12 2010, 10:54 AM
I had to google that. Isn't that what the Obama campaign in 2012 will be called.

JerryChesterson
Mar 12 2010, 11:12 AM
I had to google that. Isn't that what the Obama campaign in 2012 will be called.

No it will be called ... HAHAHA we won last time due to superior intelligence and your idiot candidate and we can only hope you nominate another tool that has no chance of winning.

It cracks me up when I see people still rocking the McCain Palin gear on their cars. Seriously? Anyone who takes palin serious is a complete ignoramous.

That's sure to spin up some debate :)

Lyle O Ross
Mar 16 2010, 03:09 PM
Cut to the chase, buy a Katana. That's the best way to accomplish your stated goal.

BTW - as a marketing symbol, Nuke is very powerful. It makes an affective symbol. DC has used it well, and this thread is all to the good for them.

An Epic tale. One day a man decided to take a life journey so he got on his Katana, and road out to the desert where they had set off a Nuke. When he got there it was clear that the Reaper had come and gone. Nothing lived, not a Predator, not a Birdey. Even the Coyotes were gone. Could anything have survived this he asked? Maybe a mythical animal, a Roc perhaps? He turned to his bike but it too had died so he hitched down to the closest town and bought a Teebird, he'd always liked sports cars, and drove into the night. Above his head the stars were bright and he could see Orion, it was Long and Far away. Ah to be a Wizard he thought, then I could fly to the coast, climb aboard a Destroyer and go head to head with the Beast! After all, with a ship that powerful, couldn't one ride out the Storm while watching Sharks swim by and still beat the Demon that haunts men's souls? In the end he decided that doing much of anything was just too hard, so he pulled over, got out a good book and opened it up. Ah yes, a good part, where the Orcs quail under the baleful eyes of the Wraith King as they marched off to Assassinate the good men of Gondor. Yet he found his reading unsatisfactory so he set his book aside. He could feel the Force of the earth around him as he watched the night sky and realized he was hungry. He drove off to McDonalds where he got a Quarter K burger and ate it with a bottle of XXX lager. Then he continued on his way to the coast where he walked down the beach and saw Stingrays and Morays swimming through coral laced seas. Yes he thought, life is a metaphor. Not sure phor what, but somewhere there has to be meaning...

csheafer
Mar 17 2010, 04:01 PM
OK, well if you really want to go there with the "bomb", then you should also take into account that it ENDED THE WAR! It saved countless lifes perhaps including some of your own family. Many of us are here today because of it... Just sayin!

Lyle O Ross
Mar 18 2010, 06:28 PM
OK, well if you really want to go there with the "bomb", then you should also take into account that it ENDED THE WAR! It saved countless lifes perhaps including some of your own family. Many of us are here today because of it... Just sayin!

Not sure how much truth there is to this. It's been repeated often and sold quite well. The truth is that history suggests differently. Indeed secret documents show that the Japanese had already sued for peace before the bombs. That aside, many public records show clearly that the generals did not think it was necessary.

The speculation has long been that the bombs were sent to send a clear message, to whom isn't clear to me.

Here is a link to a discussion of the situation. It is biased towards "it wasn't necessary," but tries to cover both sides.

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v16/v16n3p-4_Weber.html

csheafer
Mar 19 2010, 12:00 AM
Oh I just love you conspiracy theory people! Your guys are a riot!
Your always good to make me giggle and smile!
Live would certainly be a lot more boring without you folks for sure.
Glad your here living in a free county ranting and raving just as is the right of every American who got the privalage on the backs and blood of other people.

Now, thanks in no small part to this thread... I smile every time I play dsc golf when I pull my Nuke out of my bag. Smiles are priceless. Thanks!!!

Lyle O Ross
Mar 19 2010, 12:50 PM
Oh I just love you conspiracy theory people! Your guys are a riot!
Your always good to make me giggle and smile!
Live would certainly be a lot more boring without you folks for sure.
Glad your here living in a free county ranting and raving just as is the right of every American who got the privalage on the backs and blood of other people.

Now, thanks in no small part to this thread... I smile every time I play dsc golf when I pull my Nuke out of my bag. Smiles are priceless. Thanks!!!

Too much fun, did you read the article or just make up your mind? The article quotes the Generals involved, including Eisenhower. The memorandum I mentioned was presented to Roosevelt by MacArther. The Japanese had presented him with offerings of peace five times. Are you saying that MacArther was a liar? Truman ignored it at the time but when later questioned did not deny it's existence. Are you saying that Truman was a liar?

Henry H. (Hap) Arnold commanding General of the Army air forces declared in his memoirs that Japan was on the verge of collapse well before the H bombs were dropped. Do you know more than Hap?

Most of the citations are from people involved at the time. The topic was written about extensively in newspapers and magazines at the time. Truman made the decision, but by and far our military, religious, and political leaders were against it, feeling it cost us credibility.

It's easy enough to spout out that someone is a conspiracy nut when you've read none of the surrounding documents. It's not like the nuts who are saying the government planned 9/11, a true denial of reality, when indeed the only problem was that our government was incompetent, and still is IMO. Take the time to read the article, do a Google search and try and find one article that supports the case that the bombing was necessary. Look at the numbers.

I heard the same things you've heard all my life. But in every case, I heard them on the playground, or in casual conversations from people with no real study of the matter. The article I've presented is a historical overview by an expert, not some guy in his garage with conspiracies.

The former Japanese prime minister Fumimaro Konoye said "Fundamentally, the thing that brought about the determination to make peace was the prolonged bombing by the B-29s."
In the weeks before the nuclear bombs, we fire bombed Tokyo killing 100,000 civilians. Those bombings left millions homeless. The fact is that those bombings were more affective than the nukes were, based on the death count and damage to infrastructure, and had already shown the Japanese that the war was lost. They wanted peace but they had one request, that we not molest the Emperor. We were refusing based on that request. We wanted unconditional surrender. Interestingly enough, we ended up leaving the Emperor in place, as a powerful statement of stability that we needed.

I am probably older than you, and many of my teachers were World War II vets. One of the great outcomes of the GI bill was that we had an influx of older, more thoughtful teachers who understood what America represented. They were clear and adamant about the war and how it was pursued and it's cost. I think I quite well understand the cost and the blood spilled. Appreciating what those Americans did for me doesn't mean I have to do them a disservice by not understanding what they fought for, and what happened.

csheafer
Mar 19 2010, 11:03 PM
Wow, I quess next time I post something on the INTERNET I should do a few years of research first!

I am sure I am quite a bit older then you, and I lost a Grandfather in that war.

The bottom line is this. The discussion on the name of this disc is rediculas. It reminds me of the folks who demand the football teams change their names because of what we did to the Indians.

Tomorrow, at the Lucky 13 in Republic MO, I will be using the nuke on my competitors because I need every advantage I can get.

drdisc
Mar 23 2010, 12:35 AM
According to the History Channel account, the Emperor was ready to go live on the radio to offer surrender and some war monger Generals tried to stage a coup to stop it.
You are both probably somewhat correct. Remember, the side that wins gets to write the history. I think we all can agree to thank the Greatest Generation while they are still with us. At our course an old man (80+) collects cans for recycle sales. He was the first American on the beach after those Nukes dropped. He tells stories when asked.
BTW, did anyone mention the Sniper or the Bomb? Hate to leave any out.

Lyle O Ross
Mar 23 2010, 01:19 PM
You need to read back through my posts. At no time did I protest the use of the name Nuke, in fact I said DC had used it well and that indeed I thought this thread was in their best interests. I also stated that if someone didn't like the use they should let their wallet do the talking.

My initial response to you was based on your notion that the Nukes ended the war. I simply said I wasn't sure that was true and provided a reference to which you replied that I was a conspiracy theorist. So I simply argued my point by going back to the reference source.

As to the History Channel, again go back and look at the article I cited. It isn't internet trash, nor is it T.V. trash. It is a well regarded journal that asks History exports to write reviews. They do so with more than adequate citations of historical records and documents. I'm pretty confident that my position has validity. On the other hand, it is entirely possible that the Generals wanted a coup, although that is inconsistent with the other documents that clearly show they wanted to protect their Emperor at all costs. The notion of over-throwing your living god seems a bit strange. Nonetheless, our own history shows that frequently we are at odds with our own basic beliefs and founding principles so clearly anything is possible.

BTW - CS, we're rather close in age, and while my grandfather didn't die, he did serve, as did my great grandfather, my father, most of my uncles, my sister, and two of my brother-in-laws. I didn't, just so we're straight on that.

Lyle O Ross
Mar 23 2010, 01:49 PM
A quick search shows indeed that a coup was attempted. Interesting.

The numbers I heard in high school were that the bombs saved 50,000 American lives. The idea was that if we went from island to island, that is how much it would have cost. The premise would have to be that if we didn't drop the bombs, that the coup would have succeeded, and the Generals would have fought on with no resources due to the full naval blockade of Japan and it's surrounding islands that we had in place, and that we would have landed each island instead of simply holding the blockade and starving them out.

I have greater faith in our Generals than to think they would have done that, but I could be wrong.

Lyle O Ross
Mar 23 2010, 01:58 PM
According to the History Channel account, the Emperor was ready to go live on the radio to offer surrender and some war monger Generals tried to stage a coup to stop it.
You are both probably somewhat correct. Remember, the side that wins gets to write the history. I think we all can agree to thank the Greatest Generation while they are still with us. At our course an old man (80+) collects cans for recycle sales. He was the first American on the beach after those Nukes dropped. He tells stories when asked.
BTW, did anyone mention the Sniper or the Bomb? Hate to leave any out.

The sniper implies accuracy. The bomb has been used in many contexts so the neo-liberals wouldn't be too offended by it.

BTW - old, yet still keen observation, the winner does write the history. I remember a passable sci-fi story in which the Germans won the war. One reality may have been that Canada and America were still British and Europe was all German controlled.

Let's not forget that many in this country supported Germany before we entered the war. Lots of money there.

KBRISTOW
Mar 23 2010, 02:01 PM
I honestly just wasted a lot of time reading this stupid post. And does it really bother ya'll that discraft named a disk "Nuke"? If so your a Yankee and I wouldn't want you on my card!

JerryChesterson
Mar 23 2010, 10:00 PM
I honestly just wasted a lot of time reading this stupid post. And does it really bother ya'll that discraft named a disk "Nuke"? If so your a Yankee and I wouldn't want you on my card!

Nice first post.

krazyeye
Mar 24 2010, 11:38 AM
I hope that is tongue in cheek Scott.

JerryChesterson
Mar 24 2010, 03:34 PM
I hope that is tongue in cheek Scott.

Who is this S cott person you speak of :p

Chris Hysell
Mar 24 2010, 05:12 PM
can I say Hooker here?

my_hero
Mar 25 2010, 12:34 PM
can I say Hooker here?

Yes, only b/c it relates to the Kitty Hawk Hooker.

exczar
Mar 25 2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but you can't say that you **** your wrist to throw a Hooker.

Lyle O Ross
Mar 25 2010, 02:56 PM

I'm bettin' if they named a disc the progressive y'all be down right upset. At this point I'm figuring we're about three pages away from the Blitzkrieg, a disc invading your homeland today... :)

I think the guy that started the thread felt it might be found offensive in Japan, a country that has a huge disc golf following and that has the scars of nuclear bombs still present. From a purely marketing point of view, this does seem a tad off base. I'm thinking turnabout is fair play. The same as the Japanese will give a car one label in Japan, and a different one here, Discraft should do the same.

Sooooooo, let's hear it, what do we call the Nuke in Japan? Perhaps the Peacemaker? Best answer wins.

exczar
Mar 25 2010, 03:00 PM
"Peacemaker"

warlocks00
Mar 25 2010, 04:54 PM
I'm thinking turnabout is fair play. The same as the Japanese will give a car one label in Japan, and a different one here, Discraft should do the same.

Sooooooo, let's hear it, what do we call the Nuke in Japan? Perhaps the Peacemaker? Best answer wins.

If they are going for an unPC name: "the pearl"

since that's what caused the "nuke" in the first place!