Kette_Master
Jan 11 2010, 01:44 PM
Are all tournaments held in Japan 150-class events?
What is the reason for this type of restriction?

johnbiscoe
Jan 11 2010, 01:52 PM
yes
safety

exczar
Jan 11 2010, 02:07 PM
So, are the Japanese more risk-adverse than Americans, since we do not restrict except to the 6 point something grams per cm of diameter, and 200g total? Can you use discs above 150 class in Japan during non-tournament times on courses, or are courses only set up for tournaments?

DShelton
Jan 11 2010, 06:37 PM
I was told once that anything above 150 is considered a weapon and would thus be illegal.

ishkatbible
Jan 11 2010, 07:50 PM
from what i read elsewhere... forgot where... most courses in japan are in heavily populated city parks, and the chances of hitting park patrons are much greater... and the heavier discs "cause more pain" than lighter ones.

i've seen what a 175 wraith can do to someone, and if i was to get hit, i'd rather it be a much lighter disc that will cause less pain. maybe one of those kids frisbees

krazyeye
Jan 12 2010, 11:47 AM
Because you are soft.

ishkatbible
Jan 12 2010, 02:55 PM
better soft than sorry!! oh wait...

pterodactyl
Jan 13 2010, 05:30 PM
Some guys and I were discussing having a tourney where you get a 150g driver and putter with your entry fee and the winner gets the rest of the cash to use to play in the Japan Open. What do you think?

cgkdisc
Jan 13 2010, 05:49 PM
I think you could go as high as 159.9g driver and putter this year for your event since that's what's allowed for the Japan Open this year.

rizbee
Jan 13 2010, 08:43 PM
Some guys and I were discussing having a tourney where you get a 150g driver and putter with your entry fee and the winner gets the rest of the cash to use to play in the Japan Open. What do you think?

Great idea - I'd love to play in one of those! All of the drivers in my bag are below 159.9, so I'd just have to get used to the light putter.

cgkdisc
Jan 13 2010, 08:57 PM
However, maybe part of the challenge would be to see how well everyone can play with just the official two discs provided as the player pack?

dionarlyn
Jan 16 2010, 04:20 AM
However, maybe part of the challenge would be to see how well everyone can play with just the official two discs provided as the player pack?

Great idea! That way one of the PDGA Majors could really be a gimmick. Seriously...if they are allowing discs up to 159.9 why don't they allow athletes to use their standard set of equipment. Is the Japan Open played in a heavily populated major city park? No. Is there any chance we could convince the Japanese legislature to allow this for one event?

Anyways, it'd be my dream to play this event this year. Stocking up on light Flicks...