cgkdisc
Jan 02 2010, 08:35 PM
The latest research has produced the following thought on brain evolution: "The brain appears to have been ideally designed to solve problems in an outdoor setting in unstable meteorological conditions, and to do so in near constant motion." Sounds like much of what we encounter for disc golf and maybe explains some of the addictive appeal of the sport. Speed golf matches the definition even better.

The context of the article* was about what the brain does well in terms of learning is almost the opposite of our conventional classroom process used for teaching. If you want to learn something or have your most lucid brain functioning, new research has shown it's best to do it right after or during exercise rather than before.

Sounds like those long walks our (grand)parents told us they took to school and then home before doing homework might have had benefits undiscoverd until now. At a minimum, sounds like scheduling your Phy.Ed class as early as possible might pay dividends in school test scores.

* "Three brain rules you need to know" Brain World, Winter 2009-2010

ChrisWoj
Jan 03 2010, 10:15 AM
Sounds more along the lines of the instinctual sport, as opposed to the brainy sport. Something brainy seems to me to be learning to calculate odds at something far less natural, at something our brains weren't specifically evolved to do (for example: chess, to cite an example I was just reading about in TIME Magazine).

exczar
Jan 03 2010, 04:50 PM
I'm getting ready to be part of a paid study, Univ of TX at Dallas Center for Brain Health. Sure hope they find something!

cgkdisc
Jan 03 2010, 06:14 PM
If they don't, it would be a hollow victory...

exczar
Jan 04 2010, 01:46 PM
If they don't, it would be a hollow victory...

Groan...

ChrisWoj
Jan 04 2010, 02:43 PM
"If you want to learn something or have your most lucid brain functioning, new research has shown it's best to do it right after or during exercise rather than before."

-Speed golf, here I come!