two5twosix9
Dec 29 2009, 12:33 PM
I am designing a course at a ball golf course for a tourney coming up and all bunkers are OB. I would like to have the bunkers be OB but have the player that landed in the bunker play their lie where it lands with a penalty stroke added. Is it within PDGA rules to allow a player to throw from OB in this manner?
Thanks.

Alacrity
Dec 29 2009, 01:24 PM
No, you cannot stand OB that is why the 1 meter relief. I would suggest that you add a drop zone. Maybe a flag at the back side of the bunker.

With that said, if you want it anyway, petition the PDGA when you do sanctioning. I would not do it because it will cause confusion.

NOHalfFastPull
Dec 29 2009, 01:28 PM
803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

captklank
Dec 29 2009, 02:27 PM
I think the pdga has a special conditions rule you can use for this.

captklank
Dec 29 2009, 02:31 PM
Anything that goes against the pdga rules must be approved by the tour manager.

bruce_brakel
Dec 29 2009, 06:03 PM
I have played many tournaments where an area was declared o.b. for some holes and not o.b. for other holes. Like for hole 11A, everything but the tee and the roped off area around the green is o.b. It's an island hole. But none of that is o.b. for any other hole. Um, Idlewild has this kind of o.b. on several holes.

So, if o.b. can be "on" or "off" depending on what hole you are playing, why can't you turn it on and off based on other conditions?

"The first time you land in a bunker for any hole, the bunker is o.b. Take a one-throw penalty. Once you have landed in that bunker it is no longer o.b. for the rest of the hole. So play it where it lies, with the penalty, and play on."

Remind them to rake their footprints.

ishkatbible
Dec 29 2009, 08:59 PM
"The first time you land in a bunker for any hole, the bunker is o.b. Take a one-throw penalty. Once you have landed in --->THAT<--- bunker it is no longer o.b. for the rest of the hole. So play it where it lies, with the penalty, and play on."

I'd never guess that that would have to be explained. maybe i'd drop out of the event, from embarrassment, if i landed in the same o.b. bunker i just threw from.

pterodactyl
Dec 29 2009, 11:16 PM
Usually each hole has more than one sand bunker. Make the farthest one from the pin the designated drop zone bunker for each hole.

rhett
Dec 30 2009, 07:30 PM
I am designing a course at a ball golf course for a tourney coming up and all bunkers are OB. I would like to have the bunkers be OB but have the player that landed in the bunker play their lie where it lands with a penalty stroke added. Is it within PDGA rules to allow a player to throw from OB in this manner?
Thanks.

Are the bunkers gigantic? Any reason not to just call them OB and play them like normal OB at the last place the disc was fair?

Emerald Isle in Oceanside is on a ball golf course, and all bunkers and greens are OB. It works well, and people are encouraged to respect the course and not walk on the greens or in the bunkers except to retrieve OB discs.

Like a previous poster said, it would be more confusing to add a stroke and throw from the bunker. So unless there is some really compelling reason on this course I'd recommend you just make the bunkers regular OB, as I've played disc golf on ball courses and it works just fine.

You didn't say if the greens were OB, but if they aren't I'd highly recommend that you make them so. A huge chunk of money is spent to maintain the greens at a ball golf course, so you dont' want people intentionally chunking hyzer-bombs into the greens for the "tombstone effect" and messing them up.

two5twosix9
Dec 30 2009, 09:58 PM
The greens are ob. I have run a doubles event at this course for the past 3 years and this is the first year it is a sanctioned event. I just wanted to do something a bit different and make people have to shoot from the bunkers but keep the difficulty high. I might just make a few of them in bounds. Not sure yet but I still have some time.

rhett
Dec 31 2009, 03:17 PM
You could do a "Chuck Kennedy Special" and make a special condition that if you land in a bunker you have to do something weird like throw from your knees. :)

Actually, that's not a bad idea... Hitting out of a bunker in ball golf is hella harder than hitting from the fairway or light rough. Throwing from your knees would be much harder than standing and throwing from the bunker, which isn't much of a penalty at all.

For something smart-arsey that I just threw out there, I'm liking this the more I think about it. If I ever make it out to EI again I'm gonna give this a try.

cgkdisc
Dec 31 2009, 03:29 PM
I'd be OK with the knee throw for an X-tier, but I still side with those who would rather not restrict the specific type of throw to be made if landing in a specified hazards. But if somebody dictated that "stand and deliver" would be required for all shots not from the tee as a new basic rule for disc golf, I would be fine with that.

two5twosix9
Dec 31 2009, 06:34 PM
I like the knee shot idea, but making someone throw from a knee in february in the NW is just mean. There are a bunch of ideas for buncr type penalties that can make a hole or course more interesting. I am looking forward to getting creative for my final layouts.

DShelton
Dec 31 2009, 07:00 PM
The greens are ob. I have run a doubles event at this course for the past 3 years and this is the first year it is a sanctioned event. I just wanted to do something a bit different and make people have to shoot from the bunkers but keep the difficulty high. I might just make a few of them in bounds. Not sure yet but I still have some time.

I can see a problem if you want to make the course more difficult.

If the proposed OB is closer to the pin, then a person with a good lead could and probably would throw for the OB area and then take the easier throw from there while everyone else would be trying to avoid it.

If your trying to make it harder, why not put a drop zone back from the bunker and have the players play from there. It would keep people from aiming at the bunker just to get a little closer to the pin when they have the lead and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a rule exception from the PDGA.