rizbee
Nov 16 2009, 09:03 PM
I am doing some research on the history of disc golf courses and I'm trying to find out when Northside Park in Azusa and Frontier Park in Tustin were installed.

Any help or even wild-assed guesses are welcome.

Thanks!

Rizbee
PDGA #1752

davei
Jan 21 2010, 10:31 AM
I am doing some research on the history of disc golf courses and I'm trying to find out when Northside Park in Azusa and Frontier Park in Tustin were installed.

Any help or even wild-assed guesses are welcome.

Thanks!

Rizbee
PDGA #1752

If Frontier is on redhill or something red street, close to the 55, then it was one of the very first courses. It was across the street from Bob and Rob Gardner's house. Bob was vice president of Wham-0. Rob was his son. This course went in 1978-9. It was one of the first basket courses. Definitely top 10, probably top 5. Not a guess.

The Azusa course is not nearly as old, but has been in the ground for quite a while. I would wild *** guess around 1990.

rizbee
Jan 21 2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. Yes, Frontier Park is just off the 5 near the Redhill exit - you can almost see the park from the freeway. If it's that old they must have replaced the baskets at some point because I think the ones there now have double chains.

1990 for Azusa? I would have thought it was older. I first played there in 1990 and I remember thinking it was a bit worn then. But that was when I first moved out here, so I could definitely be wrong.

Do you recall any courses that have come and gone? That's the part of my research that needs the most help.

Thanks!!!

discette
Jan 21 2010, 04:25 PM
Do you recall any courses that have come and gone? That's the part of my research that needs the most help.

Thanks!!!

18 holes in Mason Park in Irvine. Only lasted a couple of years.

9 Hole course in Tweedy Park in Southgate. Installed late 70's and early 80's and lasted about 10 - 15 years.

18 holes in Bonelli Park in San Dimas. Lasted about 5 years in the mid 80's.

Three 9 holes course in San Diego area. One in Chula Vista and two in National City. Snapper would have all the details.

A couple of Fly 18 courses have come and gone - Mission Trails and Riverside Golf Club.

rizbee
Jan 21 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Suzette! I knew about all of those save Mason Park in Irvine. Do you have an approximate date dor it? I wonder if those are the baskets that are now in the two other Irvine parks.

rhett
Jan 27 2010, 12:48 PM
Scot Jamison says early 80s for Azusa. They use to play it during the company picnics for his machine shop back then.

Mason in Irvine was in for one year around 2000 or 2001. Maybe 1999. I have a disc and a t-shirt with the date that I'll look for. Wait a minute...maybe the SoCal Archives list it...

It was 1999. One year in the ground only.

http://www.socaldiscgolf.org/sub-pages/results99.html

I guess i have a trophy with that date on it, too. :)

rizbee
Jan 27 2010, 04:11 PM
Very helpful - thanks Rhett!

davei
Jan 27 2010, 10:59 PM
Jurupa Hills regional park, Fontana. I believe the course was Martin Tudor. Nine holes. Might still have four or five. The rest got taken out by a water park. There was also a course in San Bernardino. Nine holes. I could never find the course though. Supposed to be a short course on the grounds of a veterans center or something like that.

A course in Wilmington, Ca has been there a long time. I never played it, and I thought it was gone, but someone told me recently, it is still there.

Fountain Valley, Ca was listed as having a course. I never saw it and it might have been mistaken for Huntington Beach.

The USA is littered with failed courses. Especially nine holers. Poor support systems for those courses.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">