thediscinmusician
Nov 14 2009, 05:36 PM
Scenario...
Person throws shot, disc is searched for for 3 minutes, at that point, player states he will go re-tee, at that point he grabs a disc and takes a couple steps headed back towards tee. Soon after 3 minutes is up someone finds the disc.

A- Does player play original shot even though 3 minutes is up

OR

B- Player has to re-tee despite disc being found?

Just wondering. This came into play today in our tournament. THANKS for any help!

bcary93
Nov 14 2009, 06:40 PM
B- Player has to re-tee despite disc being found?

803.11 Lost Disc

A. A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group must, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit

We had an unfortunate example of this at KC Worlds where we thought the disc had passed into the woods, but after declaring the disc lost and rethrowing, discovered it stuck in the tree we thought it had flown thru on it's way into the forest.

thediscinmusician
Nov 14 2009, 07:04 PM
That really didn't help...cause in your case you had rethrown. I know the rule states that once the 3min is up it's declared "lost" but what if it's found and that player hasn't thrown his "re-tee" yet. See in your case that person had already reteed and then found the disc. No disc had been thrown yet, it was actually within seconds of the 3 minutes being up...

Anyone else care to input? Or have an official ruling on it?

MichaelWebster
Nov 14 2009, 08:35 PM
"The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit"

Hence the disc in your scenario would be considered lost. In most tournaments, at least a player or two in a group would be against calling a lost disc if a retee hadnt happened yet.

thediscinmusician
Nov 14 2009, 08:37 PM
It was the last hole and I was in the lead by 5 strokes, the guy that mentioned the "rule" to me let me go on it, and I played my shot from where my first shot (the "lost" disc) was...but he mentioned that I SHOULD have gone back and re-teed since the 3 minutes was up.

Still looking for an official ruling on it, so I know from now on. Thanks!

keithjohnson
Nov 14 2009, 08:52 PM
The rule is posted upthread, and a guy quoted the part of the rule that answers your question, yet you are still asking it.

Read it word for word and see how you can interpret it any differently than:
When 3 minutes is up - IT IS OVER - You LOSE - good day sir.

thediscinmusician
Nov 14 2009, 09:33 PM
End of discussion, thanks! I suppose you're right.

bcary93
Nov 14 2009, 10:52 PM
End of discussion, thanks! I suppose you're right.

It's true the rules are really pretty simple. Only, sometimes we make them complicated :)

exczar
Nov 15 2009, 12:11 AM
I am chiming in because I did not see the complete answer given. If the three minutes have expired, then there is a one-stroke penalty for a lost disc. However, if the disc is found before the player throws again, the player plays the found disc, but still gets the one-stroke penalty.

gotcha
Nov 15 2009, 07:02 AM
I am chiming in because I did not see the complete answer given. If the three minutes have expired, then there is a one-stroke penalty for a lost disc. However, if the disc is found before the player throws again, the player plays the found disc, but still gets the one-stroke penalty.

Are you sure about that, Bill?

<!-- content-left --> <!-- content-main --> <!-- main --> 803.11 Lost Disc

A. A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group must, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit.
B. A player whose disc is declared lost shall receive one penalty throw. If the throw was made from the tee, the player will re-tee for the next shot. If not made from the tee, the group will determine the approximate lie from which the throw was made, and the player will throw again from that lie. In all cases the original throw plus one penalty throw shall be counted in the player's score.
C. If it is discovered, prior to the completion of the tournament, that a player's disc that was declared lost had been removed or taken, then the player shall have two throws removed from his or her score.
D. A marker disc that is lost shall be replaced in its approximate lie as agreed to by a
majority of the group or an official with no penalty.

krupicka
Nov 15 2009, 02:53 PM
Under the 2002 rules, yes you would play the late found disc as it would mark the location where it was last seen. But, under the 2006 rules, the options were reduced to solely the previous lie. Once the 3 minutes is up, +1, next lie is at the previous lie. If someone finds your disc at 3:01, rejoice that you have your disc back, but you still have to take that lonely walk back to your previous lie.

bcary93
Nov 15 2009, 04:17 PM

I don't see any justification in the rules for playing differently if the disc is found after the three minutes have expired. I could certainly be missing something and if so, please show where the rules make this the correct action.

Again, the rules are very simple and easy to use in almost every situation - we only make them complicated.

exczar
Nov 15 2009, 09:30 PM
I didn't see any justification for playing the disc from where it was found, either, since the player would receive the one-stroke penalty in either case, so the reply we received here about that question from the RC, that the disc should be played from its found lie, must have been posted before the 2006 rules change.

I apologize for the confusion. That's what I get for remembering a RC decision!

krupicka
Nov 15 2009, 10:06 PM
Current Q&A:
Lost then found (http://www.pdga.com/discussion/../faq/rules-questions-answers/lost-then-found)
Question: Jon Player can't find his tee shot. He enlists the aid of the entire group. They begin searching for Jon's disc, officially noting when the three minute clock starts. The timer goes off on the three minute clock. As the group is discussing where the "disc was last seen", so that they could determine the lie for Jon's next shot, they stumble upon Jon's disc. What's the ruling and from where does Jon take his next shot?
Response: A player's disc is lost. After the three minute timer sounds the disc is found. What's the penalty and where does the affected player resume play?
Applicable Rules: 803.11 Lost Disc
Discussion: Time expired during the search for Jon's disc, so Jon is assessed one penalty throw for the lost disc. (It doesn't matter that Jon's disc was found one second after time expired. The rules allow three minutes for finding a lost disc. Once the three minutes are up the disc is officially lost.) Jon resumes play from his previous lie and is accessed a one throw penalty.
Conclusion: A disc is officially lost at the end of the three-minute search, and a penalty throw is assessed. It makes no difference where the disc is found after is has been determined to be lost; the thrower plays from their previous lie.

bcary93
Nov 15 2009, 10:20 PM
... before the 2006 rules change.

Got it - from a previous version of the rules.

ChrisWoj
Nov 16 2009, 02:10 AM
does anyone actually keep a timer and stop at 3:00.00?

krupicka
Nov 16 2009, 08:33 AM
Yes.

kkrasinski
Nov 16 2009, 09:30 AM
I wonder what is the average elapsed time spent looking for a disc before someone starts a timer. I'll wager it's pretty darn long.

pterodactyl
Nov 16 2009, 12:48 PM
It just depends on who is in your group.

One issue that I would like to see added to the rule: The timer doesn't start until it is your shot. In other words, if other players in your group did not throw as far as you did, they need to throw before you start scurrying frantically around in front of them looking for your disc. I'm saying the timer shouldn't start until it is your turn to throw. You shouldn't be ahead of those players anyway.

exczar
Nov 16 2009, 02:42 PM

I usually carry a wrist watch, and I will use it if need be. The great majority of the time, I have started the clock on myself.

Think of how much more pleasant it would be for the group if the person whose disc is being searched for was the one that initiated the start of the 3 minutes? That is why I start it on myself, and delay starting it on others.

Alacrity
Nov 16 2009, 03:02 PM
I know, answered, but this is another example of why officials should take a refresher test every so often:eek:

As for keeping time, the clock should not be started until everyone is looking. If you lose your disc and start looking while someone else throws, I don't see anything wrong with that. If everyone does not look, by the rule, you can argue that you have all the time you want until they do:

803.11 Lost Disc

A. A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group must, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit.

On the other hand, if the player does not ask and someone states the time starts, then it starts at that time. I would strongly suggest you request everyones help and start the clock once they do.

kkrasinski
Nov 16 2009, 05:22 PM
As for keeping time, the clock should not be started until everyone is looking.

That's not what the rule you quoted states.

pterodactyl
Nov 16 2009, 05:30 PM
What, then, does the underlined sentence say?

chainmeister
Nov 16 2009, 06:17 PM
The rule does not specifically state that but we have an enthymeme here. We need all players to be requested to be present. We need them to get there. Once that happens we have three minutes to look for the disc. Alacrity's statement was made with the assumption that the summons had been made and everybody had arrived. We can digress and talk about the courtesy issues of ignoring the summons but that really isn't the issue at hand. I think one reality under the rules is that if the purported disc loser can expiditiously get to his or her disc without interrupting play or committing a courtesy violation of his or her own, more time can be spent in the hunt. My missing assumption (another enthymeme here) is that the call to search and he arrival at the focus of the search may take a few minutes as well. A crafty player can usually get 5-7 minutes to search before those three minutes have run. If that occurs, he or she should have no complaint when Krupicka looks at his watch and calmly states that time has run. It truely has.

kkrasinski
Nov 16 2009, 06:47 PM
The line BEFORE the underlined one states that the time shall start after the player arrives at the last spot the disc was seen. The player, not the group. The underlined sentence governs the actions of the group, any individual of which should be sanctioned for failure to perform. If a group member refuses to search, does that mean the clock never starts?

veganray
Nov 16 2009, 08:11 PM
The rule does not specifically state that but we have an enthymeme here.

$0.25!!! Maybe there are still a few folks out there fluent in the English language. My faith in humanity is restored, at least for a few moments . . .

exczar
Nov 17 2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think that this qualifies as an enthymeme, unless the unstated assumption is that the player should not arrive at the spot where the disc was last seen until all others players are there as well, so that the three minutes stated in the rules can apply to the time after the player arrived, as well as the time that the group searched for the disc.

Is that the unstated or implied assumption? If not, then this rule could use a little reworking, since a player can arrive at that "last seen" spot before the other players in the group arrive.

Or the three minutes could start when the player arrives at the last seen spot, and part of the three minutes that the others in group use up, if requested, could be the time to walk from where they were to the "last seen" spot.

Either way, I do not approve of someone going ahead to determine the status of their disc. What if they were going to see if it was OB or not, and they stated that it was before anyone else could arrive at the spot. Rule 803.09D addresses that issue. If the player whose disc may be lost is not away, the player should not be near that spot.

chainmeister
Nov 17 2009, 02:45 PM
Well, the underlined sentence in the rule indicates that all players in the group must, upon request, look for the disc. They have three minutes. If one of the players is hobbled, or needs to hide behind a nearby tree for a minute or two, he may not get there as soon as the others. I think the unstated premise in Alacrity's post was that everybody has to get there. As Kurt mentioned the rule does not specifically state that the clock starts until everybody is looking. However, I think that this is clearly implied. The rule was not artfully written. At one point it says the player has three minutes. However, the underlined section seems to me to clearly indicate that the group has three minutes. As mentioned in my prior post, I think this give the crafty player more than three minutes to conduct a search. Also, since the three minutes cannot start until either two players or an official indicate that time is starting it is implied that at least more than one person is present when time begins to run. I think its clear that time is not running when the player, eyes wide and sweat dripping, arrives at the scene where he starts to search.

Alacrity
Nov 18 2009, 03:37 PM
Can the player get there before the disc is called lost? Absolutely, otherwise the assumption is all discs are lost until the group arrives to verify it is not. If a player arives at the location of their disc and starts to look for it, he must make a determination that it "could be lost" to call for help. If you throw into the schule and know approximately where it is, you can then go see if you are correct. Often times, a disc is not easy to spot, but on the other hand I know for a fact that it fell in a specific area and I must look around for it. It is not uncommon for a player to walk up and take some time to locate the disc.

thediscinmusician
Nov 18 2009, 04:04 PM
If we just read the rules it's all pretty clear, I would say we could get down there and look ( you know if others are playing out their shots...) but then come collectively together, agree to search for the disc and start the timer. In my case, there were 3 guys in the group. They finished out the hole and then one of the guys came along and stated he was going to start the 3 min. I never asked him too or even asked them to look, so...but either way. The 3 min. was up and I should have had to have gone back and re-teed but he let me play the disc from where it was found after the 3 min had expired!

kkrasinski
Nov 18 2009, 04:48 PM
Can the player get there before the disc is called lost?

Yes. That's explicit in the rule. According to the rule the disc is not called lost until three minutes after the player gets there.

PhattD
Dec 15 2009, 11:21 PM
I don't know what enthymeme means.

geo
Dec 16 2009, 05:40 PM
enthymeme

in syllogistic, or traditional, logic, name of a syllogistic argument that is incompletely stated. In the argument "All insects have six legs; therefore, all wasps have six legs," the minor premise, "All wasps are insects," is suppressed. Any one of the propositions may be omitted-even the conclusion; but in general it is the one that comes most naturally to the mind. Often in rhetorical language the deliberate omission of one of the propositions has a dramatic effect. This use of the word differs from Aristotle's original application of it (in his Prior Analytics, ii, 27) to a rhetorical syllogism (employed for persuasion instead of instruction) based on "probabilities or signs"; i.e., on propositions that are generally valid or on particular facts that may be held to justify a general principle or another particular fact.

The rule doesn't make complete sense--go figure. It states time will start when the player arrives at the last seen place of the disc. But then it states two players or an official must be present to start the time. How can the time start when the player arrives when it is required to have two people or an official? And what if a player refuses to help look for the disc? When does the time start? The rule is pretty clear but these are the kinds of things that need to be thought out before being put in an official rule book.

803.11 Lost Disc

A. A disc shall be declared lost if THE player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group MUST, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit.

Dana
Dec 16 2009, 06:44 PM
Got a watch strapped on my bag.

bravo
Dec 17 2009, 10:42 AM
when i read the rule i comprehend that the thrower can reach approximate lie not find his disc easily then must request the aid of the rest of the card.
once the rest of the card reaches the search zone the three minutes begin.

Alacrity
Dec 17 2009, 02:34 PM
803.11 Lost Disc

A. A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group MUST, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit.

It is not reasonable to start the clock until the group or an official has stated, "this is where it was last seen!" So while it could be argued that an official can start the clock, a player, by the rule, cannot start the clock simply by walking up to where the disc was last seen. The rule does go on to say the group must be looking before the clock can be started. This is not like some rules where precidance suggests one thing following rules suggest another. It is a MUST occur. I don't know what happens when everyone is not looking. The rule implies the clock cannot be started. However, I once lost a disc in mutant poison ivy that was 3 to 4 feet in height. One player apologized, but stated they could not go into the spot it was considered OB without going into the emergancy room after the round. I did not press for the player to go in and once the 3 minutes were up, the disc was considered lost. The player did look from outside the patch of death, but not at the "all important" spot.

august
Dec 18 2009, 11:42 AM
It is not reasonable to start the clock until the group or an official has stated, "this is where it was last seen!" So while it could be argued that an official can start the clock, a player, by the rule, cannot start the clock simply by walking up to where the disc was last seen. The rule does go on to say the group must be looking before the clock can be started. This is not like some rules where precidance suggests one thing following rules suggest another. It is a MUST occur. I don't know what happens when everyone is not looking. The rule implies the clock cannot be started. However, I once lost a disc in mutant poison ivy that was 3 to 4 feet in height. One player apologized, but stated they could not go into the spot it was considered OB without going into the emergancy room after the round. I did not press for the player to go in and once the 3 minutes were up, the disc was considered lost. The player did look from outside the patch of death, but not at the "all important" spot.

There is no stated requirement in the rule that the group or official must start looking before the clock is started. Only that two players or an official must note when the 3 minutes begins. "Must note" does not mean "must be present at the spot last seen". Additionally, there is no rule statement restricting when the clock can be started; instead, direction is given as to when the clock is supposed to be started, that being upon the arrival of the owner of the lost disc at the spot last seen. It is perfectly legal for the owner of the lost disc to arrive at the "spot last seen" and declare to the others in the group, or an official, that the clock has been started. The other players in the group or the official are only required to look for the disc if asked.

The rule is clear in stating that the 3 minutes is to begin when the player arrives at the spot last seen. The only other requirement is that the beginning of the 3 minutes be noted by two other players or an official. Now, if the player wants to consult with the others and agree upon a spot last seen, that seems to be permitted by the rules, but not necessarily required.

md21954
Dec 18 2009, 11:57 AM
"go ahead... i'm looking for it from over here."

reallybadputter
Dec 18 2009, 12:00 PM
Here's another question: Do the "players" need to be in the group of the disc loser?

It is always a good time when you get to a tee, see the group ahead of you wandering around looking for a disc and then wait five+ minutes and then when you ask "have you started a clock?" they say "we probably should..."

Or can the "Players" in the group behind (and in the same division) say that they are starting a clock on the group?

I don't see anything in the rules saying the players have to be in the group involved...

august
Dec 18 2009, 01:54 PM
Here's another question: Do the "players" need to be in the group of the disc loser?

It is always a good time when you get to a tee, see the group ahead of you wandering around looking for a disc and then wait five+ minutes and then when you ask "have you started a clock?" they say "we probably should..."

Or can the "Players" in the group behind (and in the same division) say that they are starting a clock on the group?

I don't see anything in the rules saying the players have to be in the group involved...

I think you're right. It does not have to be players from the group. However, the requirement to look for the disc when asked is limited to the playing group per the wording of the rule. Nonetheles, I think the spirit of the rule is for anyone to assist upon being asked, whether in the group or not.

In your scenario, it would be perfectly legal to announce "since you folks have not done so, I'm starting the 3 minutes now so we can get this round moving again". Though you may step on some toes, these would be toes that need to be stepped upon. Theoretically, you could probably cast a courtesy warning on the group, and maybe even have them DQ'd since failing to measure the 3 minutes from the appropriate point in time is a clear attempt to circumvent the rules and give one player more than the statutory amount of time to find the disc. But we both know that disc golfers don't take things that far.

Alacrity
Dec 18 2009, 02:51 PM
There is no stated requirement in the rule that the group or official must start looking before the clock is started. Only that two players or an official must note when the 3 minutes begins. "Must note" does not mean "must be present at the spot last seen". Additionally, there is no rule statement restricting when the clock can be started; instead, direction is given as to when the clock is supposed to be started, that being upon the arrival of the owner of the lost disc at the spot last seen. It is perfectly legal for the owner of the lost disc to arrive at the "spot last seen" and declare to the others in the group, or an official, that the clock has been started. The other players in the group or the official are only required to look for the disc if asked.

I disagree. Let us disect: the first part of the rule says it starts when the player cannot locate within three minutes, but then it says where it was last seen by the group or an official. You see a player can be at the "supposed spot", but it is not the real spot until the group or an official says it is. Then and only then, the clock can start. If you are a smart player you can then ask the group to help look. If you do not, then you are correct, the group does not have to. If on the other hand you ask, then they MUST and it MUST be done for the full three minutes.

803.11 Lost Disc

A. A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official. Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins. All players of the group MUST, upon request, assist in searching for the disc for the full three minutes before the disc is declared lost. The disc is considered lost immediately upon the expiration of the three minute time limit.

veganray
Dec 18 2009, 03:15 PM
Can a player then garner extra searching time by proceeding directly to an area deeper in the shule where the disc most likely has ended up & not "arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official"?

august
Dec 18 2009, 04:03 PM
I disagree. Let us disect: the first part of the rule says it starts when the player cannot locate within three minutes, but then it says where it was last seen by the group or an official. You see a player can be at the "supposed spot", but it is not the real spot until the group or an official says it is. Then and only then, the clock can start. If you are a smart player you can then ask the group to help look. If you do not, then you are correct, the group does not have to. If on the other hand you ask, then they MUST and it MUST be done for the full three minutes.

803.11 Lost Disc

You're getting closer, but you are still quoting words and phrases that do not exist. The rule absolutely does not say the 3 minutes starts after the player cannot locate within 3 minutes. It appears you are purporting this to be fact above when no such statement is made in the rule. There is also no requirement that a declaration be made by the group or official as to where the last seen spot is before counting the 3 minutes. The interference rule and the OB rule both require a determination from the majority of the group as to placement of markers and/or discs; the lost disc rule does not make such a requirement. The rule does say that the 3 minutes begins when the player arrives at the spot last seen by the group or official, but makes no specific requirement that a formal declaration of that last seen spot be made before starting the 3 minutes. The interference and OB rules make a specific requirement that a group decision be made. The last seen spot is not that critical as there is no way to gain advantage by allowing a player to select a last seen spot by his or her self. In fact, requiring the group to make a last seen spot determination allows for collusion amongst the group to select a spot they know to be far from where the disc went.

The scenario described by the rule is this: After teeing off, the player goes to where the disc was last seen by the group or official. On the way down the fairway, discussion may ensue as to where that is. At that point, the disc is not known to be lost; it's usually too far away to make that determination. After arriving at the last seen spot and not finding the disc where it was thought to land, the 3 minutes is supposed to begin, per the rule. There is a requirement that the beginning of the 3 minutes be noted by the other players in the group or an official. At the end of 3 minutes, if you have not found your disc, it's lost, and you proceed with the next directive in the rule.

wsfaplau
Dec 18 2009, 11:22 PM
Obviously this is a rule that needs to be looked at in the upcoming rules update.

I'm not even talking about the can the 3 minutes start before all players, upon request, are looking for the disc? question.

I'm talking about the "where it was last seen" part. What about a 450' dogleg left hole with the dogleg 150' down the fairway and no view of the disc after it makes the turn. I bomb a big hyzer 400' around the corner. The place "where it was last seen" is not even close to where they disc most likely is.

According to the literal reading of the rule the clock starts when the players round the dogleg since that is where the disc was last seen.

Obviously that isn't right but thats what it says.

johnrock
Dec 19 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't know, it seems in that situation there would be a spotter. Possibly an event spotter or at the very least, someone in the group would be at the dogleg to assist in locating the group's tee shots. That's what I've seen happen. Then the spotter would be the "group or an official" and time would start when the group got to the area that the spotter points out and doesn't see the disc.

Consider this: As the group rounds the dogleg, the spotter starts telling everyone in the group where their tee shots went. He probably sees some and has a good idea about where the others are. If the player farthest from the basket is in the fairway or otherwise visible, he's going to go ahead and play even if the rest of the group has not located their next lie.

The time should not start until the player is at the approx. location, it's his turn to play, and he has asked the rest of the group to assist in the hunt.

bruce_brakel
Dec 21 2009, 02:29 AM
One of the problems wuth the rule is that it is drafted in a passive voice. It says the three minutes begins after arriving at the spot where it was last seen, but does not say WHO must arrive at that spot.

Also, assuming they mean the thrower, could he thwart the start of the clock by never going to that spot? In the case of a disc that is last seen high up flying over a hill, there would be no reason to look where it was last seen. If it was a hyzer over a hill, there might be no reason to go to where it was last seen. The clock would never start.

Hmmmm?

august
Dec 21 2009, 08:53 AM
One of the problems wuth the rule is that it is drafted in a passive voice. It says the three minutes begins after arriving at the spot where it was last seen, but does not say WHO must arrive at that spot.

The first sentence of the rule provides that information.

"A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes of arriving at the spot where it was last seen by the group or an official."

Now, granted, it doesn't say which player, but hopefully there's someone in the group with an adequate IQ who can deduce that "player" in the above sentence means the player who can't find the disc.