John Keith
Nov 12 2009, 02:30 AM
At what altitude (feet) does is start to affect disc??? I am moving from sea level windy cond to Colorado 6000+ feet elev.
Will I need to get light versions of all my disc to stay same, Change to less stable disc, or will 6000 ft not effect me???
ANy advice...maybe form some local Colorado springs or Denver guys???
Just figured I'd ask?

new local course will be 6300 feet.

discette
Nov 12 2009, 11:34 AM
At what altitude (feet) does is start to affect disc??? I am moving from sea level windy cond to Colorado 6000+ feet elev.
Will I need to get light versions of all my disc to stay same, Change to less stable disc, or will 6000 ft not effect me???
ANy advice...maybe form some local Colorado springs or Denver guys???
Just figured I'd ask?

new local course will be 6300 feet.

I am not from Colorado and I am not a guy, but I am from California and I do play a mountain course at 7,800 feet above sea level. I also play sea level courses most of the time, so I am quite familiar with the differences.

Basically, discs take on more stable flight characteristics at altitude. So your awesome beat in flippy Wraith (or insert your favorite hyzer flip model) will likely hyzer like a Firebird at altitude - even when thrown with turnover. I find at altitude I only need one stable driver in the bag and all the rest can be turnover mids and drivers. You can use "beat in" turnover discs or simply understable models. However, be advised that even really beat in discs will likely "regain" their original low speed fade at altitude.

For example, I have a super beat lightweight R-Pro Boss that I can't even throw anymore at sea level because it turns over too quickly. It becomes a roller even when thrown on a hyzer angle. On the mountain, this very same flippy disc is a predictably stable flyer. I must throw it with an exaggerated turnover angle to get any turnover and even then it will still fade hard at the end of the flight.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself throwing Kites and Archangels as you will need to find a disc that can turn over and stay over. You will likely not be throwing any Monsters, Max or Firebirds because even a Leopard or a Beast can be a spike hyzer disc at altitude.

Jeff_LaG
Nov 12 2009, 12:41 PM
Discette's observation about the flight characteristics of discs at altitude are spot on - you will need your flippiest roller just to get any anhyzer at altitude. A disc which if released with hyzer at sea level immediately turns over and dive bombs into a cut roller will be necessary at altitude to get a turnover flight, and you still may have to deliver it with serious anhyzer. I would also throw lighter discs which should help to keep them from hyzering out. (and losing both a staight line throw and distance)

I can't tell you at exactly what alttitude you will start to see these effects. Intuitively, I'd say 2000-3000 ft. above sea level but that is really just a guess.

John Keith
Nov 13 2009, 01:43 AM
wow thanks Dude'ette and Dude...thats crazy/ Im a little nervous cause im playing great right now and im very close to hitting my 1000 rated goal..and now im worried about changing for altitude. I hope i can use light weights of disc i like to keep some familiarity.

flynvegas
Nov 13 2009, 01:01 PM
There's a section in S Johnson's book about altitude and flight changes.

gokayaksteven
Nov 13 2009, 01:08 PM
if you are worried about reaching 1000, choose tournaments carefully here in CO. it seems we have a ratings bubble here (topic for another thread), and i feel that sometimes rounds in tourneys here do not get the rating they deserve.
Back on topic- you will get used to the altitude fairly fast. I feel discettes comments are correct, if a little exagerrated. My home course is at 9200 ft., and I play a lot of courses above 5000. These major changes she is talking about will happen going from sea level to 9000 ft., but the denver area courses are a little less dramatic of a change. just try what you throw now, but a little lighter and a little more seasoned.

Jeff_LaG
Nov 13 2009, 02:36 PM
I do not think the comments are all that exaggerated. I have played disc golf in Denver (5,300 ft. elevation) and Flagstaff (6900 ft. elevation) at Pro Worlds 2003. I had to throw my flippiest rollers to achieve an anhyzer at NAU, Thorpe, and the Hotel course down in town; it wasn't just high up on Snowbowl at 9,500-11,000 feet where the changes were dramatic.

On several occasions I've played golf with someone who lives in Denver but is back visiting on the east coast, and they always complain about how their stable discs suddenly dive bomb into cut rollers.

exczar
Nov 13 2009, 05:39 PM
It's amazing how the lower gravity at those higher altitudes affect disc flight!