Shags17
Nov 06 2009, 02:06 PM
I've got a couple of questions here that are kind of confusing, and both involve putting.

1. After you mark your disc, are you required to stay behind it in a perpendicular line, or does this line in fact become a circle around the basket. The reason I ask is I have noticed that a lot of people, including myself, who line up with staggered feet when straddle putting. Is it considered a stance violation if you line up with the foot that is back behind your mini and your other foot slightly forward, but technically not closer than the rear edge of the mini? Sorry for the wording of this question.

2. I had this happen to me during a round a few weeks ago with some friends of mine. I throw my drive and end up hitting a tree. I'm about 80 feet out so I jump putt. My putter lands on top of the basket, wedged in between two of the bars that hold the chains. The basket we were putting on was an older DISCatcher Sport. Both of my friends are now out, so one of them putts and misses, flying by the basket. Still being out, he putts and makes it. As his putter hit the chains, my disc falls down through the top and into the chains. I said that it counted for a two but the both of my friends said it was a three. What is the ruling on this? I had not touched or marked the disc since my jump putt due to the fact that I was not furthest away. Being a casual round it didn't matter then but I am wondering what the correct ruling on this is just in case it ever happens again. Thanks for the time!

veganray
Nov 06 2009, 02:17 PM
1. After you mark your disc, are you required to stay behind it in a perpendicular line, or does this line in fact become a circle around the basket. The reason I ask is I have noticed that a lot of people, including myself, who line up with staggered feet when straddle putting. Is it considered a stance violation if you line up with the foot that is back behind your mini and your other foot slightly forward, but technically not closer than the rear edge of the mini? Sorry for the wording of this question.
803.04A:
When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the lineof play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.
In other words, circle.

2. I had this happen to me during a round a few weeks ago with some friends of mine. I throw my drive and end up hitting a tree. I'm about 80 feet out so I jump putt. My putter lands on top of the basket, wedged in between two of the bars that hold the chains. The basket we were putting on was an older DISCatcher Sport. Both of my friends are now out, so one of them putts and misses, flying by the basket. Still being out, he putts and makes it. As his putter hit the chains, my disc falls down through the top and into the chains. I said that it counted for a two but the both of my friends said it was a three. What is the ruling on this? I had not touched or marked the disc since my jump putt due to the fact that I was not furthest away. Being a casual round it didn't matter then but I am wondering what the correct ruling on this is just in case it ever happens again. Thanks for the time!
803.07B:
B. If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. (If the two meter penalty is in effect See also 803.08 C and D for movement of a disc above the playing surface.)
In other words, no dice.

Shags17
Nov 06 2009, 08:32 PM
Right on, thanks man!

Patrick P
Nov 06 2009, 09:15 PM
Funny, I was just talking about this in the last post, see the pic in post #22.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=32742