JerryChesterson
Nov 06 2009, 11:49 AM
Tossing around the following concept of the 2009 SADC Club Championships.

Date: TBD (sometime prior to the 12/31/2009)
Cost: $10 worth of non-parishable food items & your 2009 SADC Bag Tag. Optional $5 ace pot. All canned goods go as donations to the 2010 SADC Ice Bowl.
Format: 9 holes of Standard Singles, 9 holes of California Style Singles, & 9 holes of Canadian Style Singles. Best overall score wins and gets to be the 2009 SADC Club Champion. Rules for Cali and Candadian formats below.
Divisions: Pro & Am

I am leaving this open for public comments for a week or so. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

California Style Singles
Each player gets to play one of their shots on each hole like they are playing best shot with themselves. If the hole is over 450 feet, each player gets to play 2 of their shots on each hole like they are playing best shot with themselves.

Example 1 (350' hole)
Jerry tees off and his drive is terrible. He can choose to throw a 2nd shot (just like playing best shot with himself) and then choose the better of the 2 shots. Jerry takes the second shot and now must finish the hole just like normal singles. He lays up and then makes the putt. Jerry gets a 3 on the hole.

Example 2 (350' hole)
Jerry tees off and his drive is OK, it�s about 30 feet from the basket. He chooses to take that shot. He misses his first attempt. Since he hasn't used us extra shot yet, he putts again and makes it. Jerry gets a 2 on the hole.

Example 3 (475' hole)
Jerry tees off. Its an OK drive, but knowing that he gets 2 extra shots on this hole since it is more than 450 feet Jerry decides to take another one. Its a bomb and lands 50 feet from the basket. Jerry obviously takes the 2nd shot. Next, he misses his first attempt at the putt. Since he still has an extra shot he putts again and makes it. Jerry get a 2 on the hole.

Canadian Style Singles
This is the exact opposite of California Style Singles. Instead of getting to play one shot on each hole like best shot doubles, each player MUST play one shot each hole like it is WORST SHOT doubles. If the hole is over 450 feet, each player MUST play two shots like they are WORST SHOT doubles. If a player fails to use all of their worst shots on a hole (i.e. holes out without taking any worst shots) that results in a 2 shot penalty.

Example 1 (350' hole)
Jerry tees off and parks it. He knows that he must play one shot each hole like it is worst shot doubles. Jerry makes his first attempt at the deuce. Since he hasn't yet used his worst shot, he must putt from the same location again and make that putt for it to count. He does and gets a 2.

Example 2 (350' hole)
Jerry tees off and drives to 30 feet from the basket. Jerry makes his first attempt at the deuce. Since he hasn't yet used his worst shot, he must putt from the same location again and make that putt for it to count. He misses it but the putt is 2 feet way. He must take the worst of the two shots which is the missed putt. Jerry makes that putt for a 3 on the hole.

Example 3 (350' hole)
Jerry tees off and drives to 50 feet from the basket. Jerry decides to use his worst shot now so he tees off again. This shot is parked. Jerry has to take the worst shot of the two which is the shot that is 50 feet out. He attempts the 50 foot putt and makes it. Jerry gets a 2 on the hole.

Example 4 (350' hole)
Jerry tees off and drives to 30 feet from the basket. Jerry makes his first attempt at the deuce. Since he hasn't yet used his worst shot, he must putt from the same location again and make that putt for it to count. He misses it and blows it by 30 feet. Jerry has to take the worst shot of the two which is the missed putt that is 30 feet out. He attempts that putt for 3 and misses. He taps in for a 4 on the hole.

Example 5 (475' hole)
Jerry tees off with a decent drive. Next up is he approach shot. Since this hole is more than 450 feet Jerry knows he still has to do 2 shots for worst shot. On the approach Jerry places his first attempt to within 5 feet. His second attempt is 40 feet out. He has to take the second shot. On the 40 foot putt he makes the first attempt but since he still has to use another worst shot he tries again and misses. Jerry taps in for a 4 on the hole.

RiX Perez
Nov 06 2009, 12:22 PM
I like the date range........

Sounds Good! Bring It!!!

ishkatbible
Nov 06 2009, 09:40 PM
canadian sounds confusing to me... reading your examples i'm sure i could pick it up, but confusing at first. maybe you should have a round or two with a handful of people to get the point across before using that for the championships. just to see how well they understand and pick it up.
i like the cali style though. it's pretty common. (i know they are basically the same)

Paul Taylor
Nov 07 2009, 12:57 PM
Shaking my head......I can't see Lively bombing a 475 foot hole....what has he had to drink??? hehehehehe

My only suggestion would be..

Canadian style - the card members have to pick the worst lie, not the player himself. If he has a great tee shot, the card members might say, throw again, and then that would be his or hers 'worst shot throw'. If the player was to can his second shot and it was under 350 then it was a card decision and oh well, what a great hole... Just my thoughts.

ishkatbible
Nov 08 2009, 01:17 AM
or maybe two shots off the tee, no matter how good or bad the first one is, and play the worst one from there

Grog
Nov 08 2009, 07:50 AM
or maybe two shots off the tee, no matter how good or bad the first one is, and play the worst one from there

I'm in agreeance! The other way just sounds too confusing and would slow down play while everyone is attempting to interrupt the rules.

JerryChesterson
Nov 09 2009, 10:08 AM
I may have to explain it to you in person. It really isn't that confusing, it is just the exact oppiste of Cali.

As for picking the worst shot, yes the card does pick the worst shot but they can't force you to throw it. Only if you throw 2 shots, they pick the worst of the 2. There is actually a lot of strategy to this approach. I played it at Nani the other day and it was fun.

If anyone is interested in trying to format out I'll be playing on my lunch hour at Nani on Thursday.

JerryChesterson
Nov 09 2009, 11:49 AM
I've narrowed the date for the event down to the following ...

12/12/2009
12/13/2009
12/19/2009
12/20/2009

Any thoughts on which day works better?

opereida
Nov 09 2009, 07:01 PM
Sounds cool....but my favorite part is the entry fee. That is a GREAT idea Scott.:cool: I am going to start getting donations for the Ice Bowl starting soon.

mdsammy
Nov 09 2009, 10:12 PM
my vote is for either the 12th or 13th

DiscJay
Nov 09 2009, 10:13 PM
19th or 20th works best for me. I'm out of town the 12th and 13th.

hardways78222
Nov 10 2009, 09:13 AM
13th or 20th is my vote (traveling dubs. on the 12th & 19th).

JerryChesterson
Nov 13 2009, 12:04 PM
canadian sounds confusing to me... reading your examples i'm sure i could pick it up, but confusing at first. maybe you should have a round or two with a handful of people to get the point across before using that for the championships. just to see how well they understand and pick it up.
i like the cali style though. it's pretty common. (i know they are basically the same)

Micah and I played this format yesterday ... Micah your thoughts?

JerryChesterson
Nov 13 2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.sanantoniodiscclub.com/2009SADCChampionships.jpg

JerryChesterson
Nov 13 2009, 01:40 PM
Rick - Can you post this @ Pearsal?
Corey - Can you post this @ Nani?

JerryChesterson
Nov 29 2009, 07:36 PM

JerryChesterson
Nov 30 2009, 05:30 PM

JerryChesterson
Dec 06 2009, 08:00 PM
Don't forget the SADC Championships this Sunday. You do not want to miss this one! If there are any non-players that want to come out and grill, let me know.

pdgaman12
Dec 07 2009, 09:48 AM
Wanted to relay this message for Larry V: There will not be a Sunday mini at UC due to the SADC Club Championships.Somebody with a printer might want to post something there to let people know.

JerryChesterson
Dec 07 2009, 06:10 PM
Wanted to relay this message for Larry V: There will not be a Sunday mini at UC due to the SADC Club Championships.Somebody with a printer might want to post something there to let people know.

Thanks!

JerryChesterson
Dec 10 2009, 12:01 PM

JerryChesterson
Dec 11 2009, 11:40 AM
This just in, I've had several questions about a Women's Divsion ... Yes there will be a Women's Division. Same entry requirements ...

2009 SADC Bag Tag (If you don't have one we'll have them for sale.)
$10 Worth of Non-Perishable Food items. Remember heavy is better as the food bank gives us credit based on weight.
Optional $5 Ace Pot

Also I am still planning to provide some food and drinks but all are encouraged to bing some food pot luck style too.

JerryChesterson
Dec 13 2009, 07:23 PM
WOW! What a great day of disc golf. Thanks to all the players we raised a total of $100 and several hundred pounds of food for the San Antonio Food Bank! It was so much food I could hardly get it out of my car and hurt myself in the process :eek:. I can't thank enough all the people who came out today (& JimBob & Laura & LODGA who donated ahead of time) to support this great cause!

Beer, Food, CTP Prizes, and the like where donated courtesy of ..

San Antonio Disc Club
Scott Hougland
FlyInc
Orlando Pereida Home Brew
Rick Gaskill

The 2009 San Antonio Disc Club Champions are ...

OPEN: Marcos Castillo, winning in playoff against Micah Samuelson.
Amatuer: Dave "FlyInc" Wimer
Women: Myrriah Gomez

Congrats to the winners .. the rest of the score will be posted tomorrow.

jimbob8
Dec 13 2009, 09:55 PM
Well done Scott, if you build it they will come. Thanks to all the folks who spent two weekends in a row to help their communities. It's very apparent that Jesus is alive in Live Oak...

New holes in UC coming around thanks to the tree climbers! Gonna be some work days to detail 'em coming up, volunteers will be needed. No date yet, gonna be awesome, here there's some nice elevation back there.

JerryChesterson
Dec 14 2009, 10:07 AM
Ace Pot
1st - Marcos Castillo ($90)
2nd - Forgot who got this ($35)
3rd - Jerry Lively (Deer Jerky)

OPEN
1st - Marcos Castillo* (91)
2nd - Micah Smauelson (91)
3rd - Jethro Tull (93)
4th - Scott Hougland (95)
5th - Pete Lopez (96)
6th - Dusty Vodron (98)
7th - Rick Gaskill (99)
8th - Larry Vodron (100)
9th - Billy Ware (105)
10th - Ben Blount (107)
11th - Tracey Olsen (109)
12th - Shawn Hess (112)

* Won on the 2nd playoff hole

AMATEUR
1st - Dave Wimer (89)
2nd - David Vreeland (90)
3rd - Kris Hernandez (91)
4th - Brad Carver (93)
5th - Jerry Lively (95)
5th - Mark Rosas (95)
7th - Brian H (97)
8th - Jeff McGlanahan (98)
8th - Dee D (98)
8th - Jacob Gonzalez (98)
11th - Casey Howell (100)
12th - Gary Ruiz (101)
13th - John Arik (102)
14th - John Ford (105)
14th - Billy Yeamans (105)
16th - Andy M (130)

WOMEN
1st - Myrriah Gomez (125)

Items of Note
Open players played everything from its hardest location. This included 11A (original tee), 11B (2nd peninsula tee), 11C (harder than the original tee), 15C (original tee), 23 (original tee) & 25 (original tee). Open par was 99.

Amateur & women played everything from the short tees. Amateur par was 91.

Risk Gaskill scored a 2 on hole 18. That has only been done by a handful of people.

There some confusion around the Open cards. One unnamed player, and local TD, failed to add his group's scorecards correctly (missed by 5 strokes). None of the group caught the error. Of course, as the TD, I failed to catch it too. This wasn't discovered until just after tha last round. Graciously I decided to correct the scores without penalty since this event was not for money and only for pride. I didn't want the club champion determined by a 2 stroke penalty. That resulted in Marcos and Micah tying for first, which was then decided by a playoff.

JerryChesterson
Dec 14 2009, 12:17 PM
I almost forgot to mention that Dave Wimer and FlyInc donated a tight tye-dyed disc and a turkey as a CTP prize. I believe Dusty had it secured the whole way and then Larry came in and stole it from him with one by parking one of the last shots. Either way the Vodron's will be chowing down on some turkey courtest of FlyInc! :D

Dusty got revenge later by parking another CTP (per usual) and winning a sweeting protype disc and 122g #1 Helix that floats :D.

There where also a couple of other CTPs, not sure who won them.