LastBoyScout
Oct 20 2009, 05:30 PM
I am interested in trying to get as validated as possible for course design. Im not looking to do it for profit, but merely for the fact of having all the core knowledge needed to design or redesign a course to its fullest. Besides, im already a TD, so why not complete the package.

Are there any PDGA rules or suggestions so far as the BunCR rule that Chuck had been working/tweaking for use since atleast 2006, or even as simple as the recommended distance from O.B. for a basket?

I have read the Houck/Kennedy article and spend time surfing the Houck articles on his site, but want to complete my personal repository of course design knowledge.

Any additional sites with info on course design would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

LBS

cgkdisc
Oct 20 2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.discgolfcoursedesigners.org/discgolfwiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page

Some of what you are looking for is in the FILES section of the DGCD Yahoo group for members.

There is no official guideline for OB from the basket. If you're going to "cheat" closer than 10m into the putting circle, better to be closer on the front side of the pin and maybe just one side or the other versus the back side. The days of designs where there's OB close behind the pin (< 25 ft) have faded since most feel it's so close that the follow up putt isn't much of a challenge and the OB penalty is just fluky.

Buncrs are still too new to have any specific parameters as various designers experiment with them to add moderate challenge to some terrain that's lacking natural features.

Jeff_LaG
Oct 20 2009, 06:33 PM
There is no formal certification from the PDGA available, nor colleges which offer a curriculum for disc golf course design, nor state licensing program for course designers. But you should consider joining the Disc Golf Course Designers (DGCD) group (http://www.discgolfcoursedesigners.org/discgolfwiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page), which consists of more than 120 members. At this point, there are no professional requirements for becoming a member other than a one time initial fee to cover a membership card, some printed materials, and website hosting costs. The DGCD is an independent group with a wide range of experience, from associate members who are interested in learning about course design and keeping up with developing methods and technologies in the field, all the way up to senior and master designers who have created many courses.

LastBoyScout
Oct 21 2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

Guess i will be joining once the next pay period rolls around.