atreau3
Oct 02 2009, 10:36 AM
I have had a very fortunate year...

Tomorrow I'm playing in the Lehigh Valley Open.

That will be either my 16th or 17th PDGA Event. (I'm waiting on a few to get posted).

*My wife is finishing her PhD this year, and is in dissertation phase, so I'm wanted "out of the house :) *

If non-sanctioned tournaments were included, I've played over 24 events.

Hopefully next year will be as active!

E

atreau3
Oct 02 2009, 10:51 AM
I also wanted to add...

I've got a time intensive full time job- not a student or unemployed, so free time during the week is limited....definitely a weekend warrior!

exczar
Oct 02 2009, 03:59 PM
I've played in four PDGA events this year, which may not sound like very many, but it is the same number of events that I played in from 2003-2008 in TOTAL.

rhett
Oct 02 2009, 08:45 PM
11 for me so far, will be 13 total for the year. Same number for my wife.

And we were going to cut down on the number of tourneys we played this year...

blazinpat
Oct 02 2009, 09:00 PM
28 including USDGC this coming week

keithjohnson
Oct 02 2009, 11:26 PM
I will have 28 PDGA by the middle of November, and 10 other Non Sanctioned Events, plus running 6 Sanctioned and 3 USDGC Qualifiers Non sanctioned but using PDGA Rules.

Like Atreau3 I am a family man with wife and daughter with full time job who only plays weekends, which helps explain why someone who plays Disc Golf 52 weeks a year only has a 950 rating :)

chris
Oct 03 2009, 12:54 PM
This year has been the busiest year of my life! I've played 21 pdga tournaments which is down a few from past years but I also work 50-60 hours/week (unfortunately not hourly) with a 2 hour commute, run a handicap disc golf league every week, also in the process of closing on a real nice house and working on starting up an in-home buisness. Lastly can't forget I just had my first child this summer! When all said an done I basically get to sleep in past 5am about once a month . . . yuck (That day just happened to be today!)

bruce_brakel
Oct 03 2009, 02:48 PM
I've played 58 tournaments this year and I work 120 hours per week. I have three wives and 14 children.

NOHalfFastPull
Oct 03 2009, 10:13 PM
My wife and I are tied with 0 pDGA tourneys in '09.
She doesn't even play.
Sadly, the only pDGA tourney in my area,
yours truly is the TD.

keep growing the sport
steve timm

Oct 04 2009, 07:46 PM
Let's see.

one...
two...
three...

hang on, let me check the stats....

four...
five...
six...

and one this weekend makes seven

six of them were sanctioned by the pdga

ChrisWoj
Oct 05 2009, 01:16 AM
I just played my 24th sanctioned event of the year. Tack on the unsanctioneds and its probably 27 or 29. I've played more sanctioned events every year since joining the PDGA - 6, 17, 21, 30... and I'll be at 26 at the end of October. Passing up 30 will be tough, spending a total of 10 weeks this year (4 and then 6) hurt kept me from ramping up the number again.

Maybe I can top 40 next year.

dischick
Oct 06 2009, 02:23 PM
I am really impressed by everyone's numbers..... I have played in 1 this year :(
let's hope for a rockin 2010

sunrisensunrise
Oct 06 2009, 02:48 PM
7 sanctioned with 2 on the horizon and 5 or 6 non sanctioned...down from last year but it was quality over quantity this year.

veganray
Oct 06 2009, 02:52 PM
I will play my 4th in 2 weekends. 4 more than I will play next year.

poisonelf
Oct 08 2009, 06:15 PM
20 so far 4 more for the year...next year will be my rookie season and i'll probably play about 35-40..i just dont like the traveling. Just not alot of disc golf tournaments in my immediate area.

Pizza God
Oct 10 2009, 10:37 PM
Just played my 1st PDGA tournament in 2 1/2 years last week.

Hoping to play another before the years out :D

TmaCular
Oct 11 2009, 03:25 PM
i think im on 7 maybe 8 usually im near 14 but i focused on majors like am nats and MI states. as well as the bigger tourneys where the prize is much higher.

veganray
Oct 11 2009, 03:44 PM
i focused on majors like am nats and MI states. as well as the bigger tourneys where the prize is much higher.

Interesting algorithm for picking tournaments for an "Am".

bruce_brakel
Oct 12 2009, 11:08 AM
Is every tournament an event? I've played 12 sanctioned tournaments but only three or four events.

TmaCular
Oct 14 2009, 11:20 PM
well am or not..the payouts are quite nice.. i find myself making much more then your local pros anyways which is all i would be currently selling the stuff on ebay..so a nice payout can still be quite nice :)

cgkdisc
Oct 14 2009, 11:58 PM
Let's see, 14 events so far which included two Super Class leagues, six SC events and one doubles event. I've played in five divisions.

JohnLambert
Oct 15 2009, 02:47 PM
Slow year for me, barely making 4 events this year. Economy hit me hard, so next year may be different. Depends on how many events are held in Oklahoma or nearby, as I'll be travelling there a lot throughout the year.

I also have focused my attention on the best events I could make. Santa Maria, Coyote Classic, My A tier, and a new event at the newest championship caliber course in California, Shark Tooth Open in Bakersfield. I really wanted to make the Norcal Championships in Monterey, but alas it falls on my daughters birthday, and for some reason the TD won't change their tournament date. Some people are so stubborn! :p

hole5guy
Oct 21 2009, 12:54 AM
I have played 10 events and will be playing number 11 on Halloween dressed as my favorite disc golfer: Hole 5 Guy.

You can make your own costume by following the instruction I set forth in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCvGhbhStl4

jarmiller
Oct 21 2009, 08:46 PM
26 so far and counting. I have at least 3 more in the next 3 weeks. Plus I have a family, job and full time student. This was the year that I was going to "cut back." So much for new years resolutions.

gregbrowning
Nov 04 2009, 11:16 PM
Played in 0, TD for 4.

exczar
Nov 05 2009, 02:22 PM
And thank you very much for #4. The only part of the event I didn't enjoy was my score, and I can't imagine you have much control over that.

vadiscgolf
Nov 15 2009, 11:42 PM
20+ sanctioned events and almost the same amount non sanctioned as well.

McManus
Dec 05 2009, 02:06 AM
3-4

atreau3
Dec 07 2009, 09:33 AM
Now up to 18, with one more PDGA scheduled for 12.19

dionarlyn
Dec 08 2009, 10:26 PM
25 PDGA Events (5 of which I was the TD).
3 or 4 unsanctioned events
Great year for disc golf!

CaptainAnhyzer
Dec 11 2009, 10:13 AM
10 PGDA tourneys, 7 top 5's, including 3 wins in Adv Masters.......... gonna test out the Pro Masters pool in 2010 :cool:

sglfladad
May 19 2010, 03:00 PM
I've only played 1 pdga sanctioned tournament this year and extremely proud. I didn't place but that's not the point.

About 2 years ago, 1st warm up throw drive during our weekly handicap at coachman park in clearwater, something in my collabone snapped. Silly me, thought it was a muscle pull and played the rest of the round. Turned out to be a broken collarbone.

Long story short, about 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with a non cureable blood cancer that one of the symptoms is damaged bones. Picture swiss cheese bones.

So... chemotherapy, bone marrow/stem cell transplant completed late last year and this was my FIRST tournament back !!!!

If it hadn't been for disc golf, I probably wouldn't have broken my collarbone and discovered this cancer until much later and the road would have been much tougher.

Still have the cancer but it's currently stable and play dg as much as I can!!

Disc golf saved my life!!!

pterodactyl
May 19 2010, 04:26 PM
Great ending to your trials and tribulations.

seewhere
May 20 2010, 06:10 PM
with the increased entry fees not as many as last year by this time thats' for sure

the_kid
May 20 2010, 10:07 PM
9 PDGA events and 5 SN events so far this year!

Won't be going to Worlds though

discette
May 21 2010, 08:46 AM
...Won't be going to Worlds though

Is that a threat or a promise?;)

the_kid
May 21 2010, 11:39 AM
Is that a threat or a promise?;)

Neither, but unless I come across a $1,000 acepot or something Vibram and USDGC will be my only big trips this year. 33rd at Vibram = $370 payout -$170 entry which is $200 profit over entry while 33rd at Worlds = $230 payout - $230 entry which is $0. Also it was nice to see my $1 idea being discussed on the KC website with someone even saying "I guess everyone likes the idea as long as Matt Hall isn't the one backing it"

I played a small C-tier winning $170 for 990 golf (lame-O) and still made more than I would have at worlds for 1015 golf.

Anyway it is mainly due to payout but also the fact I don't expect the courses to be super stellar.

tkieffer
May 21 2010, 12:08 PM
I played a small C-tier winning $170 for 990 golf (lame-O) and still made more than I would have at worlds for 1015 golf.

Congrats, you beat a weaker group of donators.

Perhaps you'll consider that if you're gambling with other's money, your payback will be correlated with the percentage of those less skilled, not what your rated rounds were. As in poker where your take will correspond with how your skill level compares with the rest of the table, not to the populace in general.

Perhaps some day you will also consider that payback comes in many forms, many of which are greater than common currency.

veganray
May 21 2010, 12:11 PM
I may play 6 (and 2-5 unsanctioned events) in the next 9 days.

rizbee
May 21 2010, 08:25 PM
I have played six so far this year and TD'd two, with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd among the finishes. I'm hoping to play at least 3 or 4 more. All of this less than a year after spinal fusion surgery on my neck, where two bad discs were taken out and the vertebrae fused together (with a titanium brace thrown in). I'm so happy to be able to play again - the year or so away from serious play was pretty hard.

Don't overlook how lucky you are to be able to get out and play a game you love!!

the_kid
May 23 2010, 09:56 PM
Perhaps some day you will also consider that payback comes in many forms, many of which are greater than common currency.

Good thing the Vibram has both the cash and the atmosphere to make the payback well worth the trip whether I cash high or not.

Maybe one day you will realize that my beef with this event is much more widespread throughout the Pro ranks and there are more backing me than you expect.

I will admit i have been lazy and never did that petition and getting 1,000 sigs would be easy if you ask me.

mattdisc
May 24 2010, 02:01 PM
I've played zero events this year. I might end up playing 1 or 2 smaller pdga events. Entry fees too high (+travel expenses), bigger events in my area not having my division (MPM) and my biggest problem is length of events. It is now common to play from dawn to dusk. Not possible to those with families. Events used to be 3 rounds in one day and done by 6 pm! Bigger courses=Bigger time consumption.

tyson99duke
May 25 2010, 12:44 PM
I've only played 1 pdga sanctioned tournament this year and extremely proud. I didn't place but that's not the point.

About 2 years ago, 1st warm up throw drive during our weekly handicap at coachman park in clearwater, something in my collabone snapped. Silly me, thought it was a muscle pull and played the rest of the round. Turned out to be a broken collarbone.

Long story short, about 6 weeks later I was diagnosed with a non cureable blood cancer that one of the symptoms is damaged bones. Picture swiss cheese bones.

So... chemotherapy, bone marrow/stem cell transplant completed late last year and this was my FIRST tournament back !!!!

If it hadn't been for disc golf, I probably wouldn't have broken my collarbone and discovered this cancer until much later and the road would have been much tougher.

Still have the cancer but it's currently stable and play dg as much as I can!!

Disc golf saved my life!!!

That is great! Wish you many more rounds!

Jeff_LaG
May 25 2010, 02:12 PM
I've played zero events this year. I might end up playing 1 or 2 smaller pdga events. Entry fees too high (+travel expenses), bigger events in my area not having my division (MPM) and my biggest problem is length of events. It is now common to play from dawn to dusk. Not possible to those with families. Events used to be 3 rounds in one day and done by 6 pm! Bigger courses=Bigger time consumption.

That is pretty much the entire reason I stopped in playing in PDGA events more than 5 years ago - too high entry fees and the length of events. Unless it's an event like Worlds or the USDGC, I don't ever want to donate more than $40 in entry fees. I can also play a casual round of 18 holes, even on a high SSA course, in about 1 1/2 hours by myself, and with friends in about 1 3/4 - 2 hours. When I was State Coordinator I would get complaints about some one-day tournaments getting out at 7:30-9 PM, and I would just shake my head in disbelief.

Karl
May 26 2010, 02:51 PM
Just last week, I was playing a causal round with 2 other "Advanced" players. All 3 of us have played PDGA tournaments, etc.
We were "caught" on hole 3 by a 5-some (yaking the whole way) of casual players (...true, some of them only throwing 1 disc...) and seeing some of their throws going < 100' (wooded course) I was amazed. Amazed that we were "being caught". This continued for about 12 holes...until we finally "pulled ahead of them". And we really weren't playing THAT poorly / slowly!

There IS something to be said about "ready golf". I'm not advocating this totally for tournaments but it has its merits!

Karl
He who basically gave up bg because it took 'too long' (opposed to dg) :(

davidsauls
May 28 2010, 08:26 AM
The sentiment that tournaments take too long certainly demonstrates the variety of desires among disc golfers.

After holding 1-day tournaments for several days at Stoney Hill, we went to 2-days this year. Not only does this take a whole weekend, but Stoney Hill is remote, so a little more trouble and expense than many other tournaments.

We had record turnout, and when we polled people on whether they prefer future tournaments to be 1-day or 2-day, overwhelming response was 2-day. While some people may not care for the time consumption of long tournaments, it seems an awful lot do.

Tournaments have proliferated so much over the years that we're seeing 1-day and 2-day events, tournaments on long courses and short courses; and even a few low-entry events around here. (High Country will be $25, pro & am). Which is terrific---options for everyone.

vadiscgolf
May 28 2010, 10:50 PM
10 tournaments down and likely 15 more to go. Only one win but cashed 8 out of 10 in open. I like to play 20 to 25 sanctioned events and 10 to 15 non-sanctioned each year.

the_kid
May 28 2010, 11:04 PM
10 tournaments down and likely 15 more to go. Only one win but cashed 8 out of 10 in open. I like to play 20 to 25 sanctioned events and 10 to 15 non-sanctioned each year.

Good luck this weekend!

Smokey102977
Jun 02 2010, 05:42 PM
Zero...I had to finish up my master's degree. Now is when I get to play. June 19th will be my first this year.

dionarlyn
Jun 25 2010, 03:42 AM
Date - Event - Tier (UNS = Unsanctioned)

January 24th Horning's Winter Hoedown C
January 30th Festivus UNS
February 6th OLE @ Dexter UNS
February 13th Winter Flurry @ Sumner Meadows C
February 14th Sumner Meadows Doubles UNS
February 20th-21st CSUMB Otter Open B
February 26th-28th Gentleman's Club Classic A
March 3rd-7th Memorial NT
March 13th OLE @ Cottage Grove UNS
March 14th Daylight Savings Doubles UNS
March 20th Slosh at Trojan C
March 27th April Fools Doubles UNS
March 28th Oregon Warm Up C
April 3rd-4th CSI @ SeaTac C
April 10th-11th McIver 3 Play Open B
April 17th-18th Great Northwest Open B
May 1st May Day Triples UNS
May 2nd BSF Fundraiser C
May 15th-16th Camp Toali C
May 21st-23rd Masters Cup NT
May 28th-30th Beaver State Fling NT
June 11th-13th Whistler's Bend Doubles Shootout UNS
June 18th-19th Oregon Pride B
June 26th-27th Pine Jam B

That makes this weekend event number 24, and the 16th sanctioned tourney on the year. Oh yeah, I was TD for 6 of those events (1 B tier, 2 C tier, and 3 unsanctioned doubles/triples events.)