Nxtworldchamp48
Sep 21 2009, 11:58 PM
Hello Everyone!!.,
Hope everyone is driving over 500 and draining 70% of there puts. My question this week is this. I keep here from all my pro friends and adv ams that the only difference between interm(my division) and adv ams, and pro's is them mind game. Yet no seems to be able to explain how they mean, much less offer any insights on how I can gain a better hold on the Mental game. I'm tired of being an "up" player and desperetly want to get to the other side of the mountain. Can Anyone help?
Nxtworldchamp

bruce_brakel
Sep 22 2009, 12:52 AM
First, quit kidding yourself about your skillz. When the PDGA has an Am5, that's your division. Sub-800 disc golf is not Intermediate. It's not Recreational. It's not even Novice. You're getting beat by the Intermediate Women at the tournaments you're playing. Your game isn't going to get real before you do. [If you are an Intermediate Woman, my apologies. The PDGA thinks you're a guy, so I'm going with that.]

Second, according to the PDGA, within 100 miles of you there are two 18 hole disc golf courses. There are about 60 PDGA members in your entire state, and it isn't a dinky little state like Delaware. So, if you really want to step up your game, you gotta pack your bags and move somewhere where they play disc golf. Darrell Nodland is the exception. Most top disc golfers came from somewhere there was a lot of disc golf and a lot of disc golfers.

Third, you just need to practice. Ideally, you need to find another sub-rec player who wants to get better and spend time throwing back and forth across a football or soccer field. You need to throw until you can't throw anymore, and then throw with the other arm. Nothing substitutes for the total number of reps. Buy a couple of Skillshots and spend time putting back and forth too.

Nxtworldchamp48
Sep 22 2009, 11:35 AM
2 Bad weeks does not make me sub rec dude. I completly agree with the rest of what your saying as far as packing my bags and getting out of this one horse town. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and although I am not the greatest disc golfer I am not sub rec either. Maybe you should read the question with understanding as how, your tirade about my horrible playing and deplorable shape of my state was both intirging and intresting, and burned with some slight pangs of truth. you howerver completely did not answer my question at all. thanks for your time
nxtworldchamp48

discette
Sep 22 2009, 11:37 AM
Hello Everyone!!.,
Hope everyone is driving over 500 and draining 70% of there puts. My question this week is this. I keep here from all my pro friends and adv ams that the only difference between interm(my division) and adv ams, and pro's is them mind game. Yet no seems to be able to explain how they mean, much less offer any insights on how I can gain a better hold on the Mental game. I'm tired of being an "up" player and desperetly want to get to the other side of the mountain. Can Anyone help?
Nxtworldchamp

The mental game is basically the decisions you make on the course. You need to make decisions throughout the round. First you need to decide where you want your disc to land. You need to decide the best route to get there, then you need to decide which disc to use for the shot. You need to weigh the risk and reward for each potential shot. You need to learn when to go for it and when to play it safe. Better decision making generally comes from experience, so it is not something you can just "do". However, here is some great advice I received from a top player when I started: "When in doubt, throw your strongest shot. Then practice your weakest shot so it becomes strong too."

I suppose "mind game" could refer to the other stuff that goes on inside your head. In which case, you need to keep calm and focused. Relax and throw the shots you know you are capable of executing. Have confidence in the decisions you are making and confidence that you can execute the shot.

I will add, even if you are a great decision maker and you are a confident and relaxed player, you still need to be an excellent putter to be a truly great player.

unclemercy
Sep 22 2009, 12:18 PM
i agree with bruce. i'd move to delaware.

james_mccaine
Sep 22 2009, 03:09 PM
I keep here from all my pro friends and adv ams that the only difference between interm(my division) and adv ams, and pro's is them mind game.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Just take four theoretical groups (use ratings if you like): great players, good players, average players, and below-average players. The major difference between great players and good players; good players and average players; and average players and below average players is skills. Mental game might be important in sorting out folks within a group, but it will not elevate a player into a higher skilled group. Conversely, a bad mental game will not lower a player. There are players with poor mental approaches in every group.

In short, you cannot find a satisfactory answer because the premise is flawed: mental approach may differentiate you from similarly skilled players, but it won't allow you to compete against better skilled players.

bruce_brakel
Sep 22 2009, 04:43 PM
2 Bad weeks does not make me sub rec dude. If you don't get in any more rated rounds by the end of this month it does. I looked at your stats pretty quickly, but it looked like you were working on a sub-800 rating.

The truth is harsh sometimes. The distance between where you are at and where you want to be is at least a stroke a hole. That's more than mental game.

Nxtworldchamp48
Sep 22 2009, 11:47 PM
that is a very true statement, it is about a stroke a hole and the truth is harsh but i do appreciate your input. but what usually happens is that my first round is good, my second is where it usually falls apart. I think that tournament head kicks in and from there on it's all about finishing good and i play terrible. That's what i need help with. The mental game

bravo
Sep 23 2009, 10:56 AM
confidance comes with expeirience.
if early rounds are good the expeirience says you can play good
if you have prepared the body to last thru the long part of the day trust the experience.

two5twosix9
Sep 23 2009, 03:30 PM
Being comfortable is being confident. Confidence comes with practice. Practice takes time. Be where you are and analize your skill. There is no quick fix. Keep at it and be patient. One day you to may write in short sentances.

tanner
Sep 24 2009, 09:21 AM
These last couple guys are right. It takes practice over time.

There are alot of things you can do in the meantime to help yourself. Books. Zen Golf, On the Sweet Spot, Putting out of Your Mind etc...

Core workouts. Nothing gets you in better disc golf shape than Gunnar Peterson and his Accelerated Core Workout.

But it's all tied together with practice. Finding the guys with the best technique and then mimicking them will get you on the right track.

It only took me 7-8 years to get to the top. Good luck!