garydropcho
Sep 09 2009, 12:24 AM
We have one more chance to pour concrete at Deer Lakes before they shut off the budget for the year, before the daylight is gone, before the weather turns sour and makes it impossible to get machinery to the holes across the lake. It's also our last chance before the Hunt to make progress on tee project.

What we are thinking is to pour 6 1/2 tee pads on Saturday, Sept 19. We know it conflicts with Pleasant Valley Open in Fairmont WV, so what we need to know is who is NOT going to WV and WILL come out from 8 am- 3pm on 9/19 AND who can help during the evenings the next two weeks to finish building the walls on #15 and prepping the forms?

We will need 10 people on Sat. 9/19, and about 40 man hours between now and 9/19 to get ready. AC Parks will bring the materials (including concrete) to the sites. We have to build walls, tamp the bases and frame the pads by Friday 9/18. On the pour date 9/19, PFDS volunteers will screed, float edge and finish the concrete.

Can you commit to evening prep work and/or 9/19 pour?

We gots to know!

sandalbagger
Sep 09 2009, 02:43 PM
What evenings will you be out there J Gary? I can probably lend a hand as long as I don't have to lift anything heavy. But I will be in Fairmont to defend my title.

SCOTT
Sep 09 2009, 03:30 PM
by "heavy" he means anything over 170 grams!

sandalbagger
Sep 09 2009, 03:58 PM
Actually I try to keep under 169 if at all possible.

So I was playing Knob last night and I remembered that I used to throw 149 gram Polaris LS's, and I could crush them. Used to be able to drive Hole 11 B-pin like it was nothing. Maybe it's time to go back in time.

gotcha
Sep 15 2009, 09:39 AM
Wednesday, September 16 ~ Complete retaining wall on Hole 15 blue tee (5:30 pm)

Thursday, September 17 ~ Start/complete retaining wall on Hole 15 red tee (5:30 pm)

Friday, September 18 ~ Finish building frames and use tamper on 14 & 15 tees (5:30 pm)

Saturday, September 19 ~ Pour concrete on Holes 14, 15 plus the remaining half of hole 2 blue tee (8:00 am - noon)

The club needs volunteers for this Saturday's tee party at Deer Lakes Park! If you are not planning to play the Fairmont tournament this Saturday, the PFDS needs your help! The more folks who show up, the quicker the job will go.....and we'll have more concrete pads to play from come the Hunt!

garydropcho
Sep 16 2009, 10:36 PM
Concrete truck is scheduled to arrive at 8 am on Saturday, so we need everyone that can help to be at #17 parking lot ready to rock and roll at 8!

Prep work is going well, thanks to Scotty Mac, Josh Arnette, Jerry Gotcha, Dan Sauers, Josh Charlton and myself who have been out strong this week.

Tees on #14 Red, White and Blue are framed and ready for pouring. Retaining walls are completed on #15 Blue and White, and Red tee wall will get completed Thursday.

Frames are ready to be staked into place.

All we need is you.

gotcha
Sep 17 2009, 09:46 AM
Here's an image from last night's work on Hole 15 blue tee. Tonight we will finish constructing the red tee retaining wall and setting the frames on both red and blue tees. 5:30 pm.....it sure would be nice to see some additional volunteers. :)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Hole15bluetee.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=Hole15bluetee.jpg)

gotcha
Sep 18 2009, 08:24 PM
The concrete is ordered and truck will be at park at 8:00 am. Plan on working 'til noon. Park in lot near 16-17....will be working on holes 14 & 15.

Please come out and lend a hand if you can.:)

Images from Thursday night's tee-prep:

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w214.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Deer%20Lakes/64b15fb8.pbw" width="640" height="480">http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif (http://photobucket.com/slideshows)http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Deer%20Lakes/?action=view&current=64b15fb8.pbw)

garydropcho
Sep 22 2009, 11:07 PM
11 PFDS volunteers and two Allegheny County employees poured 7 more tee pads on the Deer Lakes disc golf course Saturday, Sept. 19.

Red, White and Blue tee pads on holes #14 and #15, as well as the Blue tee on #2 got finished and will be ready to throw from at The Hunt at Deer Lakes this Saturday.

With Jimmy and Mike running two Gators from the concrete truck to the tee sites, and Jim, Brad, Scott McIntyre, Don Altmyer, Robin White, Scott Heintzleman, Scott Hartle, Stella, DS and J. Gary shoveling, screeding, floating, edging and turf-finishing the concrete, the work got done in perfect order.

5 missing tee signs were also reset.

Three weeks worth of prep work went into making the day happen, with Scotty Mc, Jerry Gotcha, Big Mule Josh Arnette, Kurt Poole, and of course Dan "the Wall Building Man" Sauers, Josh "Stella" Charlton, and JGD putting in BIG WORK to build retaining walls on hole 15. PFDS volunteers have logged 924 hours on the Deer Lakes tee pad project in 2009.

The Allegheny Parks and Public Works crew, lead by park manager Mike Dutch and skidloader operator Darren Mc moved dirt, rock, and landscape timbers in the weeks prior to the pour to get the job done.

Better bring your cameras this weekend for The Hunt -- this place is sooo photogenic.

Go here to see some pics from the pour:
http://gallery.me.com/jgdropcho#100099

garydropcho
Jul 30 2010, 02:59 PM
I met with Park Manager Mike Dutch yesterday and backhoe operator Darren to review the work remaining on the Deer Lakes tee project. We have only 10 more pads (#13, #3, #5 and Red Tee #10) to complete the set of 54 at Deer Lakes.

The park will excavate, grade and fill tee pad locations with base gravel, starting with hole 13.

Last evening Dan Sauers, Vince Slaugh and I laid the first ties on the last retaining wall to be built (Red tee #13). We need you on the evening of Monday, August 2 (5-8:30) to complete the work. Bring work gloves, rake, and pruning tools.

August 21 is the date we will pour the remaining 10 tee pads. Please mark your calendar to come out and help starting at 8 am and finishing around 2 pm (the day before Deer Lakes Course Championship).

In the run up to the pour, we need help prepping the forms, landscaping around the tees, and general pruning around the greens and fairways. We will work on Monday and Thursday evenings, but if you can give some time other than these, we can use your help:

Items to be completed in order of importance:

1. Build #13 Red Tee retaining wall

2. Dismantle concrete forms on #14 and #15 tee pads. (Need cordless drill and phillips bit) Move forms from #14 tees and reassemble on #13 tee pads. Level and stake forms.
Store forms from #15 under plastic behind bathroom building next to #12 Red tee.

3. Assemble and set forms on #3 and #5. Extra forms stored behind bathroom building near #8 Blue tee.

4. Set form for Red Tee #10

5. Install anchor for #13C pin. Proposed position marked by green stake and orange flag.

6. Install anchor for #15 C pin. The county is not going to allow us to build a peninisula green in the lake -- location will be to left of A pin closer to water.

7. Move #7 C pin and #9 A pins -- 7C is in a bad sight line and needs to move 10 feet to make it visible from tees. 9A is too short for par 5 hole and will be moved behind and to right of current C pin.

8. Cut up fallen tree blocking #9 green.

9. Use flat shovel to clear erosion from #8 Red Tee. Install "curb" of landscape timbers around back and sides of tee to prevent erosion onto tee surface.

10. Route directional signs on pressure treated wood for #7 Tees, #9 Tees, Knob Hill, Moraine, Schenley Parks all to be mounted on a post to be installed where garbage can located behind #8 green.

Check here or on the the PFDS event calendar for more info.

garydropcho
Aug 03 2010, 03:34 PM
Another strong effort yesterday by PFDS members Scotty Mac, DS, Gotcha, JG and Jeremy. Retaining wall for Red Tee #13 is 2/3 done and can be finished this Thursday. Stumps and saplings cleared from the fairway, including the routes to C pin to be installed this month.

Come out this Thursday, or next Monday 8/9 from 5-8:30 pm to help.

If you have not yet marked your calendar for Sat. Aug. 21 concrete pour date, please do it now. We will need everyone to finish the job.

Thumbnails attached are of the new Red Tee and the tee shot from the new White Tee location.

kUrTp
Aug 03 2010, 04:37 PM
J Gary...Is the blue tee on hole #13 staying the same?

garydropcho
Aug 03 2010, 05:44 PM
No, the new blue tee is also moved back.
Here are the new distances:
Blue -- 468 ft
White -- 384 ft
Red -- 300 ft

Thumbnail show the view from new Blue tee.

How do you like me now?

garydropcho
Aug 10 2010, 05:57 PM
WE NEED YOU! PFDS and Allegheny County Parks are pouring the last 10 tee pads on the Deer Lakes Course from 8 am till noon on SAT. AUGUST 21.
If you have played at any of the area courses, you have already reaped the benefits of the work of the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society. Give something back by putting in.
It's a big job and you can help get it done.

No experience necessary, but experienced concrete finishers with float tools are a plus. Bring work gloves, lunch, and meet at parking lot near hole 17. We also need a bull float, wheel barrows, rakes, shovels and hoes. The cement truck will arrive early in the morning and we need all hands on deck at 8 am.

Please send an email to [email protected] and confirm that you will come . We want to complete the job and have Deer Lakes ready for The Hunt on September 25.

Tee parties are also working in the evenings (5:30 - 8:30) this Wednesday 8/11 and Thursday 8/12 to prep the forms on Hole 13. Next week on Monday 8/16, Thursday 8/19 and Friday 8/20 we will prep forms on #5, 3 and 10. Come out and lend a hand then as well.

J. Gary Dropcho
Course Superintendent
Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society

[email protected]
www.pfds.org

vslaugh
Aug 12 2010, 11:58 PM
Planning ahead for the big pour on Saturday, August 21, from 8am to noon, would anyone be able to give me a ride from Pittsburgh? I live in Point Breeze along Penn Ave. Please send me an email at vslaugh*at*gmail.com. Thanks!

Vince

garydropcho
Aug 13 2010, 12:33 AM
Let's do the math: KB, Matt and JG were at Deer Lakes Park from 5 pm until 8 pm. The guys worked the whole time and were able to set the forms for two tee pads (#13 White and Blue).

How many more people are needed to come out on Monday evening Aug 16 and Thursday evening Aug 19 if the club needs to prep 8 more tee pads to be ready for the concrete truck at 8 am on Sat, Aug. 21?

Can you give up a round of golf to permanently improve one of your favorite courses in time for The Hunt this year? :)

To be done:
Carry forms to Red, White and Blue tees on hole #5 (two 13 ft boards and two 5 ft boards/tee pad + 8-10 stakes for each tee pad) from behind the brick building near #8 Blue tee.

Carry a form to Red tee on Hole #10 (two 13 ft boards and two 5 ft boards/tee pad + 8-10 stakes for each tee pad) from behind the brick building near #12 Red tee.

Carry forms to Red, White and Blue tees on hole #4 (two 13 ft boards and two 5 ft boards/tee pad + 8-10 stakes for each tee pad) from behind the brick building near #8 Blue tee.

Assemble forms with deck screws (small boards go between long side boards); rake out gravel base, set form with slight side slope to drain (use a level); stake it in place with wooden stakes or rebar. Back fill around form enough to keep cement from leaking out under the wood form.

Thanks to Dan, Jeremy, Scotty Mac, Jerry, Matt, Vince, KB and Stella? for coming out the past two weeks!

garydropcho
Aug 18 2010, 03:22 PM
Much was done on Monday evening -- forms assembled and set on #10 Red, and #5 Red, White and Blue. thanks to Lori, Chris, Sid, Vince, Scott Mac, Dan and Jerry for putting in.

Scotty Mac is bringing a tamper out tonite (Wed) to finish prep on #13 Red tee and we can use some hands working that.

Thursday's party will hopefully be focused on #3 tee pads which we are waiting for the public works operator to excavate.

10 yards of concrete, two gators and hopefully YOU will converge at 8 am this Saturday 8/21 to pour and finish the remaining 10 tee pads. We need everyone who can spare a few hours to be at the parking lot near hole 17. Bring concrete finishing tools, hoes, rakes, shovels, wheebarrows (if you have any of these). Otherwise bring work gloves.

Please send me a PM or email me at [email protected] to confirm that you are in.

PFDS is buying pizza for after the work is done!

Don't forget about the Deer Lakes Course Championship on Sunday, Aug 22.

gotcha
Aug 20 2010, 03:33 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/DLPhole13redtee.jpg
Deer Lakes Park ~ Hole 13 red tee

garydropcho
Aug 20 2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks to park manager Mike Dutch and equipment operator Darren, as well as volunteers Matt Plunkett, Ron Hosek, KB Clark, Jerry Gotcher, Scott Mc, Jeremy, Dan Sauers and me, all of the 10 tee pads to be poured on Sat. 8/21 are prepped, formed and waiting.

The cement truck is to arrive at 8 AM tomorrow morning, and we will be pouring the tees in this order:

Hole 5 (Red, White, Blue)
Hole 3 (Red, White, Blue)
Hole 13 (Blue, White, Red)
Hole 10 (Red)

Volunteers are asked to bring any concrete finishing tools they may have (bull float, hand floats, edgers) and hoes, rakes, shovels. Wheelbarrows may also be needed.

PFDS is buying pizza for the crew after the job is done (estimate noon at Blue Gill Pavillion). If you haven't already confirmed for the pour, please contact J. Gary so we know how many to order for.

Although the new pads will NOT be ready for play in Sunday's Course Championship, we are, nonetheless, all a-twitter about the completion of all 54 tees!

gotcha
Aug 21 2010, 10:53 PM
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Deer%20Lakes/th_DSC_9514.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Deer%20Lakes/?action=view&current=18349b32.pbw)

garydropcho
Aug 21 2010, 11:54 PM
25 people and 3 Deer Lakes Park workers, 2 Gators and 1 Toro cart filled, floated, edged and textured the 10 remaining tee pads.

We also moved three tee signs to go with the new concrete pads. With so much help, the crews knocked out the work in time to eat 10 Stello's pizza's by 1 pm.

Mike Dutch, Bob and Jimmy ran the carts to and from the cement truck and the tee pads, while Marcus Ranii-Dropcho, Dan Sauers, Vince Slaugh, Dave Kuhrt, Will Graves, Matt Plunkett, Robin White, KB Clark, Joe Olar, Ben Hoolahan, Tim Stouden, Katie Stouden, Scott Heintzleman, Scott McIntyre, Josh Charlton, and Kurt Poole worked da mud.

Jerry Gotcher and Alanna Poole pruned a number of greens and tees and took some pics, too. (see previous post)

WOW, that was amazing!

gotcha
Aug 31 2010, 09:30 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/DLPHole5redtee.jpg

Concrete steps installed at Hole 5 red tee. Ground has been graded around all three tees.
Looking good! :)

garydropcho
Sep 09 2010, 10:27 PM
Tonight, Tim Wright, Scott McIntyre and J. Gary pulled the forms off of the last 10 tee pads poured. Thanks guys!

Plan on coming out to DL to do final prep for The Hunt the next two Monday and Thursday evenings from 4-8 pm. Bring metal rakes, loppers, pole pruners and work gloves. Here's the To-Do list

Rake out, seed and cover tee pad aprons on #1 Blue, #2 R/W/B, #3 R/B, #5 R/W/B, #15 R/W/B

Prune left side of Blue tee fairway #4

Rope saw low branches on #16 fairway

Reset OB rope on #6 dogleg

Build a curb of landscape timbers behind #7 Red tee.

Set directional sign post behind #8 green. Route directional signs for #9, #7 tees, as well as Knob Hill, Moraine, Schenley, IUP College Lodge. More course signs can be added as we get them finished :)

Selectively prune left side of #10 fairway half way up hill.

Move #12 basket to C pin (lock frozen)

Weed whack pond bank and around C pin on #15.

Paint OB on #8, #9, #15

gotcha
Sep 13 2010, 10:15 AM
I plan to be at Deer Lakes tonight with pole saw in hand. :)

gotcha
Sep 14 2010, 10:33 AM
J Gary and I got some work done on hole 3 last night. Gary raked dirt surrounding the red tee and planted grass seed. I pole sawed low branches along both sides of the fairway.....from blue tee to green. We ran out of daylight and were unable to clear all of the cut branches from the edges of the fairway. Anyone who desires to pitch in and clear these cut branches/limbs, the effort will be greatly appreciated. :)

SCOTT
Sep 14 2010, 01:48 PM
Clean up on aisle 3!

vslaugh
Jan 04 2011, 08:47 PM
Looks like the hard work has paid off...congrats to Deer Lakes for being the #1-rated course in the world for 2010 according to Disc Golf Course Review* (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/topcourses/topcourses_2010_rvwd.php)!

(* Ranked by all reviews submitted during the year.)

RangerMer
Jan 05 2011, 12:29 AM
Yey!! Way to go PITTSBURGH!!

vslaugh
Mar 06 2011, 10:33 PM
From the desk of J. Gary Dropcho:

Spring cleaning time at Deer Lakes! Lend a hand rebuilding steps on hole #11, seed and landscape around new tees, and do a little clearing of downed limbs on the course. Bring work gloves, shovels, pruners and other implements of construction. Meet at Anglers parking lot at 10 am Saturday March 12.

We will take a lunch break at the local Deer Creek Diner, then play a round from Red tees. A bounty is at stake for setting the Red tee course record, 55, set jointly by Marcus Ranii-Dropcho and Connor Kazmierczak at the 2009 Scholastic Series!

garydropcho
Mar 06 2011, 11:05 PM
I must add that the Red Tee course record bounty is good ONLY for those who put in at least two hours of work beforehand! The bounty is a full color Discraft Buzz PFDO fundraiser disc of Deer Lakes Hole 15.

vslaugh
Mar 10 2011, 04:42 PM
From the desk of J. Gary Dropcho:

Spring cleaning time at Deer Lakes! Lend a hand rebuilding steps on hole #11, seed and landscape around new tees, and do a little clearing of downed limbs on the course. Bring work gloves, shovels, pruners and other implements of construction. Meet at Anglers parking lot at 10 am Saturday March 12.

We will take a lunch break at the local Deer Creek Diner, then play a round from Red tees. A bounty is at stake for setting the Red tee course record, 55, set jointly by Marcus Ranii-Dropcho and Connor Kazmierczak at the 2009 Scholastic Series!

UPDATE: The work day and round are postponed due to the impending rain/snow. Look here for information about when it will be rescheduled.

SCOTT
Mar 10 2011, 06:57 PM
good call ladies. would not want to get your skirts wet.

vslaugh
Mar 23 2011, 08:10 PM
The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society is hosting a series of work days over the next few weeks to spruce up the Deer Lakes disc golf course for a new season of recreational play and tournaments. All disc golfers ready to give a little back to top ten-rated course in the country are invited to help with various important tasks related to course upkeep in order to make Deer Lakes the best course it can be.

Please bring work gloves, shovels, pruners and other implements of construction. Meet at the Anglers parking lot (near #1 tee). Contact PFDS Director at Large Vince Slaugh at [email protected] with any questions about the workday or if you would like to help. We hope to see you there!

Dates and times are as follows:
Saturday, March 26, ~2:00pm (This will be a light work session after the PFDS monthly at 10am and a proposed group trip to the Deer Creek Diner for lunch.)
Tuesday, April 5, 5pm-dusk
Tuesday, April 12, 5pm-dusk

Any updates or changes to this schedule will be posted at www.pfds.org or http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=125. In case of inclement weather, check either of those sites for announcements.

vslaugh
Apr 12 2011, 03:17 PM
100% chance of rain tonight, so let's cancel our work session for tonight and let Mother Nature do the work to get our grass to grow. Look for upcoming announcement about more opportunities to help out at Deer Lakes.

vslaugh
Jun 02 2011, 05:32 PM
Please join Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society members on Thursday, June 9, at Deer Lakes for a work session to help get the course in shape for hosting a National Tour Event that is less than three months away! Work will begin at 5pm, although feel free to arrive whenever you are able. Meet at Blue Gill lot, and if you arrive late look on course bulletin board for instructions as to where to go. Scott Macintyre will direct work, and we will most likely focus our efforts improving teepads (especially Hole 14).

Please bring shovels, rakes, and work gloves, if you have them. Contact Vince Slaugh at (412) 450-0705 with questions. We hope to see you there.

vslaugh
Jul 19 2011, 01:22 PM
Work Session, Thurs 7/21

Meet at Blue Gill parking lot at 5pm. Help prep the course for the PFDO! Work directed by Scott McIntyre. Contact Vince at 412-450-0705 or [email protected] with questions.

vslaugh
Jul 21 2011, 02:43 PM
Work Session, Thurs 7/21

Meet at Blue Gill parking lot at 5pm. Help prep the course for the PFDO! Work directed by Scott McIntyre. Contact Vince at 412-450-0705 or [email protected] with questions.

Postponed to next week. Look for announcement.

vslaugh
Jul 27 2011, 09:22 PM
Tomorrow evening, Thurs 7/28, there is a work session to do pin-related work at Deer Lakes. Meet at 5pm at the Blue Gill parking lot, or come when you can and look for us probably at Holes 7 or 9, where we will be moving pins.

garydropcho
Jul 29 2011, 12:30 AM
Matt Plunkett, Will Graves, Vince Slaugh, Scott McIntyre and J. Gary Dropcho worked between cloudbursts, thunder and lightning to install a new Deer Lakes C pin on Hole 9, and prune sightlines to an adjusted C pin on hole 7. Thanks guys!

Milling has begun on DL park roads with the expectation of new pavement!

vslaugh
Aug 15 2011, 05:05 PM
Last major work session before the PFDO! Please come out to help on Thursday, August 18, and bring any tools for weed whacking (we will also have some to provide). Arrive when you can, but we plan to be there between 4 and 5. Call Vince at 412-450-0705 or listen for the weed whackers when you arrive. Emphasis will be on Holes 3, 9, and 15, among others.