GoRiLLaBoY25
Jul 20 2009, 12:18 PM
I am heading from Cincinnati Ohio to Mrytle beach, and i was just wondering what courses are on or around KNoxville/Asheville area on Interstaste 40, or highway 26? Ive looked at Disc Review, but i was going to see if anyone knew of a really nice course in that area? If so, please reply!

davidsauls
Jul 21 2009, 11:50 AM
A lot depends on what you consider a good course. Here are my recommendations, without getting into the "way off your route" suggestions that are certain to follow; I think all of these are reasonably easy access:

KNOXVILLE
Victor Ashe is pretty good, though much of it is long and open. I assume you're coming in the summer; this might be a bit hot for you. I can't remember how far off your route it is, but I don't think it's too bad.

ASHEVILLE
I haven't played Richmond Hill, but a lot of people like it a lot. I'm not sure
where it is in relation to I-40/I-26. Assuming you're coming in summer, this is sure to be the coolest option.

SPARTANBURG
Val-Du-Mar in Boiling Springs (Spartanburg area) is a fairly new, very good course with an excellent mix of open, tight wooded, long, and short holes, and some great elevation holes. Easy access.

NEWBERRY
Stoney Hill is a private course.....MY private course. So consider there may be some bias here. It's a very challenging course with huge hills and lots of OB. About 15 minutes off I-26. You'd need to call in advance to make arrangements, especially if you wish to play during a workday. Check it out at www.saulsinsurance.com/stoneyhill.

CHAPIN
Crooked Creek Park, about 10 minutes off I-26, is a very fine wooded course, not a very long course Shady in the summer.

COLUMBIA
Earlewood is an excellent short course in an urban park, with lots of hills. It's a 5-10 minute detour from the I-26 / I-20 intersection.

GoRiLLaBoY25
Jul 21 2009, 03:01 PM
I think i read up on Your course "Stoney Hill" and it sounded very interesting! I would be playing on saturday/ sunday depending where u are in relationship to Asheville. Becuase we will be stopping there for saturday night and gettting up early to finish our trip to Mrytle Beach. So are you south of Asheville, or north of it? I would love to come and play if i can get a reservation! ALso, do you have anything for a kid to do while im hucking discs? ( Play ground or a nice walking path or anything of that sort) Not a deal breaker but it be nice to not have my wife in my ear asking when we were going to leave because she is bored! LOL

davidsauls
Jul 21 2009, 03:46 PM
We're 2-2.5 hours south of Asheville, between Spartanburg & Columbia on I-26. If you're talking about this weekend I expect to be home; if you just contact me in advance with an approximate time, I can meet you.

Our course is on private land---no playground. Depending on the age of the child there's a pond, horses to see, creeks to play in.

For the other courses, both Crooked Creek and Earlewood have playgrounds next to the course, and Val-du-Mar has a massive playground near the course. Not sure how shaded it is, but if you left Asheville early you'd be there in the relative cool of the morning.

davidsauls
Jul 21 2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, and to save you the trouble of being misled by me, the name of one of these courses is VA-DU-MAR. Search under the name I gave earlier, and you'll never find it.