davidsauls
Jul 03 2009, 03:00 PM
In the recent issue of DiscGolfer magazine is an image of a PDGA newsletter from August 1983. With the aid of a magnifying glass, I read this paragraph:

"I feel that it is now time for the players to make a greater effort to enforce the rules as written. It is time to stop marking your lie with your golf bag. Penalize other players for bending or breaking branches. Stop the freestyling, loud talking, and yelling during play, etc. The sport of Disc Golf is trying to climb to the next plateau in its development. Playing by the rules is one milestone that we can achieve with your concerted effort."

Interesting to notice, after a quarter-century, how much this has changed....and not changed.

dinoroger
Jul 06 2009, 11:00 AM
I agree the rules need to be acted upon in most if not all situations. In rec I could see a few more warnings for new players that do not know all the rules by heart but others should know better. Blatant rule breaking or cheating should always get called out. I always have so much respect for players that call things on themselves. The PDGA has come a long way with the rule definitions. Though there is still confusion and interpretation arguments it is usually ended by the TD or a quick post to these forums.

JHBlader86
Jul 07 2009, 12:55 AM
As much as I try to uphold the rules, seeing as I'm only an Intermediate player I have a personal policy that I call Education Before Enforcement. About 95% of Int. players that I have played with in tournaments do not even know some of the basic rules like what a foot fault is. When I see a rules violation I take them over to the side, tell them what they did wrong, and simply say its a warning this time. With one exception I've always had the players thank me for looking out for them, and educating them so they know what to do and what not to do. I'm not a rules guru however, and if I break a rule I expect to be called out on it myself.

I take the game seriously, but at the end of the day amateurs are playing for plastic so there's no need to get bent out of shape on every little thing. Like I said, education before enforcement.

Vanessa
Jul 07 2009, 06:26 PM
One thing that has changed, David ... sadly, it appears that there are folks out there playing disc golf now who don't even know what freestyling is, let alone are ready and able to freestyle when someone else is making a throw. Those were the days!

bruce_brakel
Jul 07 2009, 08:32 PM
for those people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3z1ZRsdOvE

RhynoBoy
Jul 07 2009, 08:35 PM
Haha, I think that came up in another thread.

I just don't like it that only a select few people know the rules, and all of then sudden it's our job to be the teacher.