Mikegdc
Jul 01 2009, 10:50 AM
Hello folks,

I take the position of NC coordinator seriously, and would LOVE to see someone (Kirk has given and given and given, time for his break) that has been actively involved in NC disc golf series be elected.

I do not know Todd G, which to me means he has not been that active (the last two years, anyway.) Nothing personal, as I don't know him.

I have written in Robert Leonard. He is active, honest, and cares A LOT about NC disc golf.

Please take this vote seriously.

Peace,

Doc

bgwvdave
Jul 01 2009, 10:53 AM
Does MTL want to be state coordinator?????????

Mikegdc
Jul 01 2009, 10:56 AM
Great question, and I did ask him (after I voted for him) before I posted this. He said he would do it, and take it seriously. I believe he would do an excellent job.

Unless you want to do it, Wave...?

MTL21676
Jul 01 2009, 12:02 PM
As I told Doc in the email, I am flattered to have even one vote for such a prestigous position.

While I highly doubt I would be elected to this, if that is the way the vote falls, I will accept the position.

However I do want to add publically that I voted write in for Mike Norris, PDGA 17390.

This may upset some people, but I want to point out reasons I feel Todd Gillihan should in no way be our state coordinator. I have seen instances where he has changed posted payouts, refused to pay NC Series Fees after being involved with the event, threatened to sue the Charlotte Disc Golf Club after posting a flyer of his event, sanctioned events without consulting the State Coordinator (which interfered with The Alamance Pro Am) and partaken in illegal activities during an event he ran. These are not heresay - these are things I've personally been involved with or seen email coorespondence with.

Once again, thanks for anyone who feels I am best for the job. Thanks to people like Alan and Kirk who have ran our state series to the best of their abilities.

And once again, please vote Mike Norris, PDGA 17390. My two successfull PDGA events will not occur with Todd Gillihan as state coordinator - that is not a threat, that is a promise.

Joseph
Jul 01 2009, 12:28 PM
I voted Mike Norris without asking him and I hope he would consider it. I do realize that he is very busy but can think of no one better. I wish that he would have been on the ballot. Anyone that plays disc golf seriously in NC knows that Mike is behind the scenes of many of our NC events and does so much for NC disc golf. Vote for Mike Norris and rest assured that the future of Disc Golf in NC is in capable and reliable hands.

bgwvdave
Jul 01 2009, 12:41 PM
vote for mike norris and rest assured that the future of disc golf in nc is in capable and reliable hands.

mike norris is wanting people to write him in on the ballot.

Please please please everyone vote for mike norris for n.c. State coordinator

Joseph
Jul 01 2009, 01:26 PM
mike norris is wanting people to write him in on the ballot.

Well, in that case, write him in.......nobody better.

stack
Jul 01 2009, 03:55 PM
been on vacation for a couple weeks and maybe I missed something but where is this ballot found?

johnbiscoe
Jul 01 2009, 04:04 PM
you should've gotten it via email.

Mikegdc
Jul 01 2009, 04:39 PM
Oh and Stack, I almost wrote you in. Balloting period July 1 to July 31 online.

We have a lot of good folks here that are quite capable. Norris certainly is. We are fortunate to have all of these guys.

Mikegdc
Jul 01 2009, 04:57 PM
One more question, this thread obviously doesn't belong under "tournaments" but where does it belong and since it was "moved", where was it "moved" to?

Thanks,
Doc

tyson99duke
Jul 01 2009, 05:56 PM
Really wish Mike Norris would of put his name in the mix before the deadline, he would be a great state coordinator. Now we get to hope and see.

stack
Jul 02 2009, 03:08 AM
thanks for the replies... i'll check my email (fell behind w/ vacation)

appreciate the thought for State Coordinator but would have declined... Mike Norris is getting my vote (when I find the email)

Trey133
Jul 02 2009, 10:33 AM
I wrote in Mike Norris's name on the ballot.

At every tournament i've been in in the past two months there has been heavy talk before rounds started of writing in Mike's name on the ballot in place of Todd G. Hopefully the word got out, I was talking to my roommate last night about hoping that word spread enough that Mike could get the position.

I have heard way too many bad stories concerning Todd's shady financial gains from tournaments and have experienced it with the horizon's classic (all time lowest payout i've ever seen in a tournament). He is far too dedicated to the HGT, and I feel like his ties will lead to diminished promotion for pdga events.

All in all, in my opinon, Mike Norris is a great choice.

Jul 11 2009, 06:05 PM
Upon looking at this string and seeing that there is an effort to have a write in on the ballot I am curious. Why did the two people being pushed for write-in not sign up when given the chance?
Does everyone really wish to remain the same and not move forward with a greater involvement in all of NC disc golf?
Todd has been as active if not more than anyone in the state. If you have not noticed maybe you have not been to more than a few local tournaments.
Mike Norris has been a great asset to disc golf. However, disc golf in NC is more than the Raleigh area. Having such a provincial view is surely detrimental to the expansion of the game. The PDGA is also not the only player. With many local and club run "tours" there will inevitably be conflict of tournaments. Are Mike and Robert ready to put in the time to coordinate with ALL the disc golf events going on in ALL of the state? Todd has already shown such a willingness in his time spent in the past.
Should you vote with a write so be it. However, I believe you a the proverbial Ostrich.
Stuart Krall 2006 GrandMaster Amateur World Champion

stack
Jul 12 2009, 12:22 AM
i don't really have a dog in the fight but I do want to address some of your points...

"Why did the two people being pushed for write-in not sign up when given the chance?"
-- when was this chance? i don't remember ever hearing that there was an opening

"Todd has been as active if not more than anyone in the state. If you have not noticed maybe you have not been to more than a few local tournaments.
-- You are saying someone should have a more statewide view and in the same breath saying that Todd is at 'local tournaments'. Anyone who has been to a tournament that Mike has been at from the coast to here in the High Country this weekend will see him giving up taking a lunch or warm-up time to help the TD (whoever/wherever it is).

"The PDGA is also not the only player. With many local and club run "tours" there will inevitably be conflict of tournaments. Are Mike and Robert ready to put in the time to coordinate with ALL the disc golf events going on in ALL of the state?"
-- The PDGA is the main player since this is a PDGA position to coordinate PDGA events. There is no way the state coordinator should ever have to keep track of all of the local 'tours' and club run events. If one of these 'tours' you speak of (im sure your referring to homegrown) want to be considered for scheduling then they could make sure to get the state coordinator their schedule in advance. It then would be up to the state coordinator to decide if there might be conflicts.

I have nothing against Todd... just your points against Mike<o></o>

Jul 12 2009, 01:52 PM
Thank You for a reply.
Todd's reach for running tournaments within the state run from Hickory to Wilson in the recent past and from Yadkinville to Charlotte. Currently he helps out with many PDGA and events in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Yadkinville area.
The reference to local is in regard to the first post; NOT Mike.
Calls for elected positions went up on this website several months ago.
Regardless of the PDGAs position as scheduler of PDGA events you are simply acknowledging that they are not the only player by mention one of the many tours in the state.
As to not having a "dog" in this you apparently do; it is Mike Norris. Otherwise why mention anyone specifically.

MTL21676
Jul 12 2009, 10:29 PM
Upon looking at this string and seeing that there is an effort to have a write in on the ballot I am curious. Why did the two people being pushed for write-in not sign up when given the chance?

Just to clarify - I can't speak for Mike, but I did not have interest in the position. That answers the question on my end.

Doc Gordon simply emailed me and said he wrote my name in and asked if I would do it if elected and I said yes.

I assure everyone I have no chance of winning and outside of Doc's vote, do not expect anymore.

drmontei
Jul 13 2009, 09:36 AM
I wish I lived in NC still so I could vote for Mike Norris. He is the best man for the job.

vonDrehle
Jul 13 2009, 02:57 PM
For me it was enough for Kirk to endorse Mike Norris for him to get my vote.

Mikegdc
Jul 13 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Stuart,

I would like to reiterate that I do not know Todd G. He is most likely a dedicated, hard-working guy. Why else would he go for this under-appreciated position.

That said, I played in quite a few of the PDGA events last year and the start of this year. Granted, Yadkinville, Winston, Hickory, and Asheville happen to be tournaments I missed, but I hit most of the others. I have not met or interacted with Todd G. yet, and I played in as many or more PDGA events then any other Master in NC last year.

Anyway, I appreciate your mentioning coordinating all the state tours, but I feel this position is completely about the PDGA. Chuck and the HGT certainly don't need help getting players at their events, and I would guess 98% of them could care less about the PDGA.

I want the best for NC disc golf, and like everyone, want a perfect schedule! One issue that will certainly come up is coordinating the North Carolina Point Series with the PDGA event schedule. But as long as there is good and timely communication with everyone, there should be no problems.

Stuart, do you play in a lot of PDGA events? We should have a stronger (meaning numbers) Grandmasters group in NC. Plenty of good players 50+ in NC.

peace,
Doc

Jul 14 2009, 10:45 AM
Hello All. Robert, I understand how your name was brought up.
As to all who are supporting Mike I believe you will not be going in wrong direction with him.
I just believe that we need to move towards something that integrates all of the disc golf community. If we in the PDGA continue to think we are the most important and only entity involved we will be missing out on the opportunity to grow as an organization and sport.
By simply dismissing others and scheduling our events with out any regard for others we may even distance those players from the sport. I have heard from various people that there have been lower attendance at PDGA events because players are choosing to play a "local" event over a PDGA event. Coordination of schedules could help eliminate these conflicts.
In traveling to other states and asking about how their tournaments are coordinated I found that in Delaware, Washington and Virginia the PDGA State coordinator consulted with ALL groups before setting the PDGA schedule. Granted we have far more tournaments than these states and scheduling will be problematic for NC. Ignoring others does not advance the PDGA.
To use a previous quote, "...as long as there is good and timely communication with everyone, there should be no problems."
Doc, I play about 15 tournaments a year. I play many outside of the state of NC. It would be nice to have a stronger group of grandmasters in NC.
Stuart

Trey133
Aug 03 2009, 01:25 PM
Congratulations Mike Norris, North Carolina's new state coordinator!

wyattcoggin
Aug 03 2009, 03:16 PM
Congratulations Mike Norris, North Carolina's new state coordinator!

Same here. Mike you are the man.

skaZZirf
Aug 06 2009, 11:26 PM
Awesome!! Congrats MIKE. MTL would have been just as good!