atreau3
Jun 30 2009, 11:52 AM
I am, admittedly, a big baby when it comes to a slick teepad (especially concrete or fly pad). I use a lot of leg drive in my throws, and the overemphasis is exposed when the conditions are less than favorable.

I've seen people use a towel on the teepad to increase grip, but are there any restrictions to this ( in regards to material, thickness, length, etc )?

I've used a "shamwow" will success, but due to the length, it is only usefull in the last step.

Can one carry a small strip of astro turf/ or even a welcome mat and use it on the tee pad?

I am thinking a thin bristle welcome mat could work well.

Thoughts?

atreau3
Jun 30 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm going to reply to myself rather than edit...

"Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed."

But to what extent?

cgkdisc
Jun 30 2009, 12:14 PM
The RC indirectly answers that question in the Q&A by stipulating that a pad up to 1cm think after compression can be used behind your lie not on the tee pad. One could extrapolate that 1cm might be the acceptable max thickness on the tee.

unclemercy
Jun 30 2009, 01:03 PM
i understand the need to set limits, but the one centimeter compressed towel thickness, as included in the official suggested guidelines, has always made me laugh. please refresh our recollection's as to why this was added this way.

krupicka
Jun 30 2009, 01:09 PM
To prevent people from bringing out a ladder.

unclemercy
Jun 30 2009, 01:12 PM
of course. i was sure there was a logical reason.

discette
Jun 30 2009, 01:12 PM
i understand the need to set limits, but the one centimeter compressed towel thickness, as included in the official suggested guidelines, has always made me laugh. please refresh our recollection's as to why this was added this way.

To prevent "building a lie".

exczar
Jun 30 2009, 01:18 PM
There he goes again, with "suggested guidelines" instead of rules. I think we have all got your POV now.

Mercy me, if you ask a "why" question about the rules, you need to ask the RC, but my guess would be to prevent someone from gaining an unfair advantage, which both a ladder and building a lie could do, and since it is common for players to carry a towel, the use of said item would not be an unfair advantage. If someone chose not to carry a towel or similar cloth, they are possibly giving other players an advantage over them, but it is not an unfair one.

unclemercy
Jun 30 2009, 01:41 PM
if she can use a towel or small pad with a maximum compressed thickness of one centimeter, can she also make use an overturned disc? what other types of pads can she use? what should i use to determine maximum compressed thickness? is it in poor taste to point out the silliness of this all by playing devil's advocate?

unclemercy
Jun 30 2009, 01:43 PM
please tell me how to safely compress her pad, so that we can put this issue to bed.

trey27
Jun 30 2009, 02:03 PM
I am, admittedly, a big baby when it comes to a slick teepad (especially concrete or fly pad). I use a lot of leg drive in my throws, and the overemphasis is exposed when the conditions are less than favorable.

I've seen people use a towel on the teepad to increase grip, but are there any restrictions to this ( in regards to material, thickness, length, etc )?

I've used a "shamwow" will success, but due to the length, it is only usefull in the last step.

Can one carry a small strip of astro turf/ or even a welcome mat and use it on the tee pad?

I am thinking a thin bristle welcome mat could work well.

Thoughts?

Isn't it outrageous when your worst lie of the day is on the teepad?
I have the same problem. A welcome mat could work ok, and I think it would compress to less than 1 cm. I think I'm going to start using a non-slip rug pad on the tee. It's made to be grippy even when wet and it'll compress just fine.

exczar
Jun 30 2009, 02:04 PM
I don't mind you playing Devil's advocate at all - but then again I am not on the RC.

Short answer - if you take issue with something that someone uses to improve their tee or lie, take it up with the TD after the round, and let the TD make the call. That's what a TD is for, among other things.

unclemercy
Jun 30 2009, 02:15 PM
i don't feel comfortable leaving the determination of the thickness of her pad to the tournament director.

seriously, though... can i legally kneel on an overturned disc?

krupicka
Jun 30 2009, 02:56 PM
Kneeling on a towel (http://www.pdga.com/discussion/../faq/rules-questions-answers/kneeling-on-a-towel)
Question: A player�s shot lands in a spot that has very hard, rocky ground. Can she place a towel or pad down in order to prevent abrasions to her body (or to keep her knee/clothes clean and/or dry)?
Important Note (4/15/08): Previously we had ruled that this was not permitted. This opinion reverses that ruling.
Response: Applicable Rules - 802.04 Artificial Devices, 803.05 (Obstacles and Relief) C, 803.04 (Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off) A.1
802.04 allows the use of items that reduce or control abrasion. Towels or pads may fulfill this purpose. Assuming that the unsafe items on the playing surface are not subject to removal or relief under PDGA rule 803.05.C (which covers relief from obstacles to one's stance), she is allowed to place a towel or small pad under any body part, with the exception of her feet (which should already be covered by protective devices such as shoes).
Note: She may move items under 803.05 C and also use a towel or small pad under her knee.
A "small pad" is defined as being 1 centimeter or less in thickness, when compressed.
Conclusion: One may use a towel or small pad (with a maximum compressed thickness of 1 centimeter) in order to prevent harm/abrasions to the body during competitive play. A towel or pad may be used under one's foot only on the tee box.
I would say yes kneeling on a disc to protect your knee is legal. Personally, a towel does a much better job, but then my knees are probably worse than yours.

cgkdisc
Jun 30 2009, 03:59 PM
To be on the safe side, kneel on an upside down disc.

Not sure why 1cm is a "silly" thickness? Some measurement needed to be specified. The alternative was not allowing anything or allowing items behind the lie but not specifying how thick, thus leading to the ladder concern or perhaps more likely, players hopping on their caddy's back when needed. In retrospect, and also looking to the next rulebook update where this pad ruling will likely be incorporated, I would think 3cm might be a better choice since it also happens to be the maximum allowable thickness of a mini and several mini designs would work nicely as "padding" in a pinch if a towel wasn't available.

unclemercy
Jun 30 2009, 04:08 PM
agreed. she thinks carrying different thicknesses of pads during the same round is silly. i think the fact that a disc is allowed as a pad should be included in the wording of the guideline. i think it will be the only time the disc is referred to as a pad and serve as an important clarification.