youngster
Jun 09 2009, 03:14 PM
is it illegal to right little notes on your mini disc. for example: "you have 30 seconds", "don't rush", "you have this putt", "take a breathe". you know, little notes that inspire you. it helps you but there's nothing in the rule book. just want to make sure.

cgkdisc
Jun 09 2009, 03:23 PM
No problem. Let us know if it really helps. We could all probably use a little positive inspiration when putting.

dinoroger
Jun 09 2009, 03:41 PM
Well it is in the rules that you should mark your disc for identification so just think of it as your mark. One tournament the TD said the make sure your discs are marked and someone blurted out they had by putting a # between 150-200 on all their discs.

youngster
Jun 09 2009, 04:16 PM
kk. so it's been helping. the things i written on my mini is the following:
- "Don't rush things!"
- "take a deep breathe!"
- "get rid of all bad thoughts!"
- "you have 30 seconds!"
- "Put this putt down!"
- "Play it safe if needed!"
- "you got this!"

just little reminders.

gnduke
Jun 09 2009, 05:26 PM
Well it is in the rules that you should mark your disc for identification so just think of it as your mark. One tournament the TD said the make sure your discs are marked and someone blurted out they had by putting a # between 150-200 on all their discs.

Did the TD remind them that a number between 150 and 200 does not meet the requirements 802.01.F ? It may be identifying, but it is hardly unique. Now, if they used a number between 1 and 20, they may have something.

krazyeye
Jun 09 2009, 06:00 PM
What is considered unique? I have seen a dot. I put an L on some discs. Sometimes just a little squiggle if I am only testing a disc.

keithjohnson
Jun 09 2009, 08:36 PM
Do the manufacturers use it to mark the discs before they are sold?

ANYTHING after that you do that identifies it to you or others is unique by the definition of the word.

It is done to "try" to avoid 5 people all throwing 175 gram Star SL's that are white with green stamps on the hole that is a blind turn and 4 of the 5 are in the same place - no marks? - then how do you KNOW which is your throw if none are marked?

Because if you play your next shot not from YOUR lie, it is a penalty.

That's why they should be marked.

You'd be amazed at reading lost and found threads on local discussion boards, how many discs are found or reported lost with no names and numbers on them (probably only 20% of the real total, as some people if they find a blank disc just "gained another disc for themselves")

I mark mine inside the rim with name pdga and phone number to give it the best chance to "come home" if lost but without marking up the top or bottom, which is especially nice for Fly-Dyes or Custom discs to keep their allure.

Keith

gnduke
Jun 09 2009, 09:01 PM
Just about any mark that differs from the manufacturer's weight marks would be unique and identifying. The more detailed and informative, the better the chance it may be returned if lost. I have a box of discs in the garage with unique marks that only identify the owner of the disc to a handful of people they play with regularly. I would love to return the discs, but have no idea how to contact the owner.

Mine have my name and an email address. Gave up on the phone number a few years ago.

august
Jun 10 2009, 08:55 AM
Did the TD remind them that a number between 150 and 200 does not meet the requirements 802.01.F ? It may be identifying, but it is hardly unique. Now, if they used a number between 1 and 20, they may have something.

If no one else is using the chosen number, it is by definition "unique" and meets the requirements of 802.01(F).

krupicka
Jun 10 2009, 09:33 AM
Let me help you out here. The number between 150 and 200 was the weight written on the disc by the manufacturer.

exczar
Jun 10 2009, 11:02 PM
It's only illegal if you can read the writing on the mini while you are standing behind it ready to throw, you whipper snapper youngster! :)

youngster
Jun 11 2009, 03:44 AM
It's only illegal if you can read the writing on the mini while you are standing behind it ready to throw, you whipper snapper youngster! :)

where does it say that in the rule book. that can'tbe a rule. some people see better than other's. that would be cheap.

exczar
Jun 11 2009, 12:39 PM
Sorry, youngster, that is not a rule. I was making a joke. You can write whatever you want on your mini (hopefully, it will not be in bad taste), and if you can read it while you are putting, you are OK.

Remember, if it is not addressed in the Rule Book, then it is not a Rule of Play.

dinoroger
Jun 11 2009, 04:41 PM
Remember, if it is not addressed in the Rule Book, then it is not a Rule of Play.

I don't see that in the rule book anywhere. :)

exczar
Jun 11 2009, 06:26 PM
Exactly!!!

skinner
Jun 12 2009, 09:25 AM
Let me help you out here. The number between 150 and 200 was the weight written on the disc by the manufacturer.

If you write over the weight put there by the manufacturer...with the exact same numbers put there by the manufacturer...with a sharpie...in your own handwriting...then that is a unique mark...albeit, a mark that probably won't get your disc back if lost...but still unique...

pdorries
Jun 12 2009, 12:11 PM
If you write over the weight put there by the manufacturer...with the exact same numbers put there by the manufacturer...with a sharpie...in your own handwriting...then that is a unique mark...albeit, a mark that probably won't get your disc back if lost...but still unique...

hrm. i think i disagree. just cuz you wrote it doesnt make the actual mark unique. the mark itself is still the same, just a new paintjob. thats only my opinion though, no facts.

unclemercy
Jun 12 2009, 12:34 PM
3cm

dinoroger
Jun 12 2009, 12:36 PM
hrm. i think i disagree. just cuz you wrote it doesnt make the actual mark unique. the mark itself is still the same, just a new paintjob. thats only my opinion though, no facts.

Well if adding a dot is unique then maybe if you went over the number in dots that would work. Man I love where this thread is going. Next we will say under a microscope the numbers are unique even if the same number. :)

exczar
Jun 12 2009, 12:38 PM
OK, I'll bite on this one. Please explain what you mean by 3cm

unclemercy
Jun 12 2009, 12:46 PM
have thick skin and carry thin minis. i think a beer can can only be used at bg ams.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80202-mini-marker-discs

802.02 Mini Marker Discs

A. Mini marker discs shall be used to mark a player's lie as
required by these rules. Mini marker discs must have a diameter of between 7
and 15 centimeters and a height not exceeding 3 centimeters.

exczar
Jun 12 2009, 12:51 PM
Well if adding a dot is unique then maybe if you went over the number in dots that would work. Man I love where this thread is going. Next we will say under a microscope the numbers are unique even if the same number. :)

Fortunately, with over 400 disc models to choose from, with the great majority of those produced in various colors and hotstamps, it is a rare occurance for two players in the same group to be throwing the same disc, same color and same hotstamp.

This was much more of a problem when the disc of choice was a Midnight Flyer, and there were only a handful of commonly used models, with almost all of them having the same disc color (glow, duh) and hotstamp color. That's why Ed made them with numbers from 1 to 8.

KMcKinney
Jun 12 2009, 04:05 PM
If I wanted to test a disc during a tournament, could I use my daughter's sidewalk chalk to put my initials on the bottom of the disc? Just in case I wanted to sell the disc if I didn't like it, would this still be O.K. for tournament marking requirements?

krupicka
Jun 12 2009, 04:16 PM
Unfortunately, no.
"F. All discs used in play, except mini
marker discs, must be uniquely marked
in ink or pigment-based marking which
has no detectable thickness."

exczar
Jun 12 2009, 05:03 PM
I would consider colored chalk a "pigment-based marking".

krupicka
Jun 12 2009, 05:51 PM
But chalk has a detectable thickness (at least when my daughter's draw with it on the driveway).

exczar
Jun 12 2009, 06:18 PM
You know, there are some rules that deserve more defense because they address more of the integrity of the game than other rules do. If you think that using chalk to temporarily serve as a unique marking does not comply with the appropriate rule, then by all means, have at it.

youngster
Jun 13 2009, 10:15 AM
as long as the chalk stays on their. then it is a unique marking. if it washes up, then i believe it becomes illegal. but smart idea on the test before buy.

gnduke
Jun 14 2009, 12:31 AM
You know, there are some rules that deserve more defense because they address more of the integrity of the game than other rules do. If you think that using chalk to temporarily serve as a unique marking does not comply with the appropriate rule, then by all means, have at it.

I doubt that I would have it, but chalk does not meet the requirements of the rule.

The more pertinent question would be why a player is throwing a disc they are so unfamiliar with as to not know whether they want to keep it, during sanctioned tournament play?

exczar
Jun 14 2009, 04:53 PM
Gary,

Why do you think that chalk would not meet the specification of the rule? Sure, it comes off easy, and the disc may have to be re-marked before each throw, but are you saying that you could detect the thickness of the chalk mark on the disc? If a chalk mark was made on the bottom of the disc, and I rubbed my finger across it, trying to detect, not any texture difference, but only any thickness difference, I doubt that I could detect it, so it would be in compliance with the rule.

Why someone would want to "field shop" a new disc during an event is beyond me.

gnduke
Jun 15 2009, 12:44 AM
One, the detectable thickness. Chalk is always left as a residue on the surface. It has a visible thickness, there is no need to wipe it off with a finger to verify it has a detectable thickness.

Two, pigment based. On this point I was mistaken. I thought that chalks used dye based colors as opposed to pigment based colors, but there are pigment based chalks. Then again, many people that mark their discs with markers that quickly fade are probably not using pigment based markers either.

If I was asked to make an official ruling, I would rule against the chalk. If someone was using chalk, I would mention it if I noticed.

unclemercy
Jun 15 2009, 12:49 AM
this has been the best conversation ever. i am switching to an ink pigment based dry erase chalk like marking of minimal detectable thickness on the double.

thank you.

unclemercy
Jun 15 2009, 12:52 AM
also, it would be the best thing for the sport if a chalk disc marking player was stroked. it all sounds very reasonable. i can only gather that chalk has never been in the spirit of the game.

gnduke
Jun 15 2009, 04:24 AM
The rules are the rules. I don't make them, I just try to follow them.

As a marshal and state coordinator, I am sometimes asked to make official rulings. I do not have access to the discussions that took place when most rules were made, and the spirit of the game means different things to different people. All I have is the words in the book. If asked what they mean, I will do my best to tell you exactly what they say.

The rule is detectable thickness. I am thinking paint or stickers, but chalk fits too.

exczar
Jun 15 2009, 01:41 PM
Gary,

Fair enough. The rule is indeed detectable thickness, and it doesn't say how to detect the thickness. You are evidently using a criterium of "if the substance used to mark the disc uses friction as the means of application, it must have a detectable thickness". I can't think of any other way the thickness is detectable, because one can't feel a raised surface where the chalk is, and there is no shadow cast by the chalk's thickness on the disc. I tried both with my kid's chalk.

No worries. There are many other rules with I will plead "Uncle" or "Mercy" with others' interpretations.