Merkaba311
May 21 2009, 02:01 AM
One part of my game that I've been trying to develop lately is reading the wind properly. I think most disc golfers I've played with share in the misconception that whichever way the wind is blowing, their disc will be sent in that direction.

Based on my own experiences, this is how I read the wind. I'm not saying in any way that I'm correct or that my experiences are uniform. This is just how the wind affects discs that I throw. I live near Lake Michigan and where I live there are constant high winds because we're unshielded from the west. If you disagree or have something to add, please feel free to do so.

For the sake of simplicity, I will talk about how wind affects right-hand-back-hand shots, or simply a disc spinning clockwise. For a disc spinning counter-clockwise, just reverse directions.

Headwind: A headwind will cause discs to perform a sharper high speed turn and exaggerate a low speed fade. When throwing into a headwind, it is best to use an overstable disc and try to keep it low so that when the fade occurs it doesn't fade too severely. Most times, a headwind will reduce overall distance.

Tailwind: A tailwind will cause discs to fly in a more overstable fashion than they're actually rated. Discs don't have as much glide when thrown with a tailwind so combined with the fact that they act a little more overstable than usual, throwing "hard" with a tailwind isn't out of the question which can improve distance. When throwing with a tailwind I prefer to throw midrange discs because they seem to glide better than drivers, and when accuracy counts, the last thing you want to be doing is throwing hard.

Left-to-Right or "Distance Defeating" Wind: When throwing with a strong left-to-right wind, you will see your disc "dance" in mid-air more than with any other wind. This kind of wind has the tendency to drop discs to the ground before they can perform a low speed fade which is why I always call it a "distance defeating" wind. It will add slightly more glide and high speed turn to turnover shots and they're less susceptible to the "dancing" effect. But don't be surprised if any kind of shot thrown in this kind of wind has the chair pulled out from under it.

Right-to-Left or "Distance" Wind: Obviously, from what I call a right-to-left wind, you can tell that I think it adds distance to every shot. I'm not sure why exactly, but I think that it has to do with the fact that a disc wants to fade to the left and the wind is just helping push the disc in a direction it's trying to go anyways. When a disc starts to slow down, it seems to me that in a distance wind, the disc doesn't fade at a sharp angle. It glides in a more gentle and long fashion to the ground.

The worst wind for distance to me would be from 10 o' clock. The best wind for distance to me would be from 4 o'clock.

If anyone would like to add how to read the wind while putting please do so :) I may do it myself after I'm more familiar with how wind affects putts. I don't know if anything about my putting is consistent enough to really get a good read :p

I'd actually really like to see a Discraft clinic on how to read the wind. *Hint Hint*

discette
May 21 2009, 09:28 AM
A left to right wind (for RHBH) is THE wind of choice when throwing for distance. Distance throwers take advantage of this wind and let it get under the flight plate to lift and carry discs even further. Understable discs are used to prevent low speed fade so the top of the flight plate will not get exposed to the wind and get pushed down prematurely.

The L to R wind is only a bad wind for hyzer throwers as the wind will begin to push the disc down early in the flight.

OSTERTIP
May 21 2009, 11:56 AM
A left to right wind (for RHBH) is THE wind of choice when throwing for distance. Distance throwers take advantage of this wind and let it get under the flight plate to lift and carry discs even further. Understable discs are used to prevent low speed fade so the top of the flight plate will not get exposed to the wind and get pushed down prematurely.

The L to R wind is only a bad wind for hyzer throwers as the wind will begin to push the disc down early in the flight.

I agree with above statements. A Left-to-Right wind is the wind I hope for when throwing a distance shot. And even better is a L-to-R wind coming from 7 or 8 o'clock position. With the tailwind and the L-to-R wind you get extra push from the tailwind and extra turn from the L-to-R wind. I like to throw a flippy Pro-Destroyer in this wind and have it flip and let the wind carry it as far as it can. Seems to work for me......

Jeff_LaG
May 21 2009, 01:47 PM

The L to R wind is only a bad wind for hyzer throwers as the wind will begin to push the disc down early in the flight.I agree with above statements. A Left-to-Right wind is the wind I hope for when throwing a distance shot. And even better is a L-to-R wind coming from 7 or 8 o'clock position. With the tailwind and the L-to-R wind you get extra push from the tailwind and extra turn from the L-to-R wind. I like to throw a flippy Pro-Destroyer in this wind and have it flip and let the wind carry it as far as it can. Seems to work for me......

I think the issue with Merkaba311 is that he may just be trying to throw a straight shot or hyzer shot with that L-R tailwind; and as discette pointed out, the wind will begin to push the disc down early in the flight.

As OSTERTIP pointed out, the proper way to use this wind for a RHBH throw is to use a flippy disc which will turnover and get extra push from the L-to-R wind. Indeed, some of your longest distance throws can be achieved with a L-to-R wind coming from a 7-8 o'clock position behind your left shoulder.

rhett
May 22 2009, 05:37 PM
Follow Snappers Tips:

Throw low
Reduce expectations

For conservative play, don't show the bottom of your disc to the wind. You won't get any 800+ foot giant S-shots this way, but you won't be left scratching your head wondering why your shot went 150 feet off target either.

youngster
May 23 2009, 11:22 AM
a head wind will make your disc less stable... that's why u use an overstable disc. the wind will mess with the fade and turn based on how far your nose is up. winds can be promising for a round. for driving and putting mainly, but it does kill your overhand game.

RhynoBoy
May 24 2009, 12:01 AM
This Discraft article has some good info.

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

LStephens
May 25 2009, 12:00 AM
I think many n00bs also are at a loss when it comes to wind speeds. A head wind at 10mph is very different for a driver, a mid-range and a putter. A driver may have no noticeable change in a 10mph head wind while a putter may flip hard. I think someone with more experience than I should expound on wind speed, nose thickness, and stability. i.e...how a wind will effect a 2.5 drone differently than a 2.5 predator.

roman
Jun 20 2009, 02:53 AM
When I try to teach crosswinds to the beginner players around here, I just tell them that if the wind gets on top of the disc, it will smack it down to the ground. If the wind gets under the disc, the disc will act like a sail and get pushed by the wind. That's easier for them to remember than what the wind will do coming from which direction, because all they have to do at that point is visualize which way the disc will be tilted, and what the wind will do to it at that angle. That leaves a lot of the confusion out.

crgadyk
Jun 23 2009, 05:01 PM
I think many n00bs also are at a loss when it comes to wind speeds. A head wind at 10mph is very different for a driver, a mid-range and a putter. A driver may have no noticeable change in a 10mph head wind while a putter may flip hard. I think someone with more experience than I should expound on wind speed, nose thickness, and stability. i.e...how a wind will effect a 2.5 drone differently than a 2.5 predator.

The correct answer is... wind doesn't effect a drone or a predator. They eat headwinds for breakfast!

seewhere
Jun 23 2009, 05:52 PM
"wind doesn't effect a drone or a predator" i think you mean a ZONE and Z EXTREME :eek::rolleyes:

hook1
Jul 04 2009, 08:36 PM
when putting into a headwind i like to putt a little easier, if i have a 30 foot putt i will throw it like its only 15 or twenty feet away and it will glide the extra 10 or fifteen feet. with a tail wind i just aim higher than usual depending on how hard its blowing. left or right wind don't seem to be as bad.

RhynoBoy
Jul 09 2009, 12:12 PM
when putting into a headwind i like to putt a little easier, if i have a 30 foot putt i will throw it like its only 15 or twenty feet away and it will glide the extra 10 or fifteen feet. with a tail wind i just aim higher than usual depending on how hard its blowing. left or right wind don't seem to be as bad.

How much head wind are we talking here? If I have a stiff wind in my face, and I throw a 30 ft. putt too soft, it is going to loft up and go way left of the basket, leaving another long putt. If I want to make the putt, I jam it. Tons of spin, and aim lower than normal on the chains. If I don't think I am going to make the putt anyway (30 footer into 20+Mph winds) I will simply turn the disc upside down and layup.

AnotherSteve
Jul 09 2009, 01:36 PM
How much head wind are we talking here? If I have a stiff wind in my face, and I throw a 30 ft. putt too soft, it is going to loft up and go way left of the basket, leaving another long putt. If I want to make the putt, I jam it. Tons of spin, and aim lower than normal on the chains. If I don't think I am going to make the putt anyway (30 footer into 20+Mph winds) I will simply turn the disc upside down and layup.

Now you tell me!!!

hook1
Jul 09 2009, 05:28 PM
it works for me i practice it a lot,but it might not work for you. if i try to slam it home and miss it is a disaster.

eupher61
Jul 12 2009, 10:11 AM
Direct headwind putt = ROC for me. Preferably a newish Roc. Cuts better, flies straight. Still start it off low.