olddiscer15
May 08 2009, 12:20 AM
What is being used on disc golf courses to protect trees from damage from sharp edged discs

dionarlyn
May 08 2009, 06:54 AM
Tree Blockers were just recently emplored at our course here in the NW. very simple - long pieces of lumber fastened to the tree just far enough apart not to let a disc through and tall enough to guard a variety of trajectories. They don't look tacky and in fact are kinda intimidating.

Jeff_LaG
May 08 2009, 08:52 AM
For smaller trees, you can use french drain pipe, sliced vertically. The tree in the center of the picture has two sections of such pipe protecting it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/124/d7e9bfdf.jpg

gotcha
May 08 2009, 10:27 AM
The French drain pipe works great as it will expand with the growth of the tree. ^Nice image of Knob Hill hole 2, Jeff... :)

mule1
May 15 2009, 10:31 AM
The French drain pipe works great as it will expand with the growth of the tree. ^Nice image of Knob Hill hole 2, Jeff... :)

I wonder if we have an arborist in the PDGA (or if anyone knows one) who can address if the black corrogated plastic pipe could do more harm than good. I have heard it said that the black corrogated plastic pipe holds moisture too close to the tree and also provides cover for insects to damage the tree without birds being able to munch on them.

Any feedback from an expert?

gotcha
May 15 2009, 10:52 AM
A quick search on Google revealed you are correct in potential damage from tree wraps/guards:

"Damage reported from using protective materials include cracked or split bark, fungal and bacterial diseases due to excess moisture held behind wraps, borer infestations under plastic guards, cambial damage during the summer due to high temperature injury, and most frequently, damage due to trunk girdling or constriction."

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets2/tree/aug94pr5.html

mule1
May 15 2009, 06:38 PM
Wow, good info there Jerry. I have wondered often, what the truth was. We had a really great Dogwood at Reedy Creek in the early years and we wrapped it and a few other trees with that stuff because the Dogwoods do not take hits well. They lose bark rapidly and look horrible. The dogwood and the other trees died within a couple of years. We attributed it to discs, but I have seen some Dogwoods recently at old courses that look like crapola. They have taken decades of hits and somehow, in spite of all the lost bark and such they are still alive. I like the idea of a pole or board or something out in front to protect the tree. Probably the best thing is for the course designer to consider what type of trees are going to comprise the limits of the fairway where the disc carnage occurs, and also any trees that are in the kill zone. Anyway, thanks again for that information Jerry.

p.s. I can't figure out how to get my name back up when I post, or my avatar. It is hell to be so digitally challenged.

mule1
May 15 2009, 06:39 PM
Hahahahah. My name popped back up! All I did was look around. Remember when there were no computers , cell phones, and or pagers and faxes and stuff. I loved 5 cent candy bars. Sigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

exczar
May 15 2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Stan! I still remember meeting you in South Bend. Are you in good health? Going to KC Worlds? If not, tell Carlton and Alan I said "hey"

mule1
May 15 2009, 09:01 PM
Health is fine, thanks. Probably no KC for me.I will pass on your greeting. I am busy here preparing for the likelihood of hosting the 2012 Pro/Am worlds. Many courses to get in the ground and we are off and running.

b dale
Jul 24 2009, 11:15 PM
planning on planting some trees this fall to compensate for some chainsaw happy rangers. any designers/knowledgeable folks out there have suggestions for tough trees that could be planted in a kill zone?
thx,
brandon

ross
Oct 19 2009, 01:50 PM
Here are the constructions documents for the Golden Gate Park disc golf course. You'll find at the bottom a sketch of the tree scrims we built:
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/disc-golf-forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=205&sid=01f5327dc066279db3b9ae8fda9642ff