gokayaksteven
May 02 2009, 03:06 PM
what do you throw if you are looking at a 30+ mph headwind, and need all the D you can get? what hi-speed disc is the most overstable?

dangle
May 02 2009, 04:42 PM
Devilhawk-X

MikeG
May 02 2009, 07:34 PM
I definitely get the most penetration with my Star Boss (red 175g poppy top), but find my Star Max to be more reliable.

gokayaksteven
May 02 2009, 10:22 PM
star max beefier than a cfr xcal? spirit?

shteev
May 02 2009, 10:53 PM
destroyers(star) but champion too

MattyInRR
May 03 2009, 02:33 AM
I have the most consistent headwind booms with newer domey star boss's. the lighter weight (167) boss are even better. they penetrate the wind further than the heavier ones and they seem to stay stable longer. by stable i mean higher resistence to turn.

JHBlader86
May 03 2009, 04:08 AM
Z Predator, but if things really start kicking up then I'll get an E Spirit.

dgdave
May 03 2009, 09:22 AM
Bubble Boss

KevinMPeterson
May 03 2009, 10:42 AM
If you are really throwing into a 30 mile an hour dead at you headwind, you need to realize that you just aren't going to get out there quite as far. Staying on the line trumps all in that situation. I like a heavy Z Force, but I don't throw it as hard as I normally would either.
KP

gokayaksteven
May 03 2009, 01:27 PM
yea- i am talking about crazy wind. ridiculous wind. I throw bosses and xcals and they work for a headwind, but was wondering what is more overstable than those w/ nearly the speed.

reallybadputter
May 03 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm with KP on this one... Crazy headwind? Give up the distance... don't try and be the hero... At some point playing within what the elements give you is the better choice and better for your score than tying to do what you usually do without the weather.

The problem is that as you get faster, you get much more nose angle sensitive too. Slightly nose down, into the turf, no distance and a possible brun-out roller. Slightly nose up... way left... If I get into those kind of winds, I drive with a Monster. If its blowing that hard, you need to be within 15-20 feet to have reasonable shot at a putt anyway. The left-right on a faster driver in wind like that is much larger than that in those kind of winds.

Now if you are throwing into a wide open field on a long, two-shot hole then maybe more than a Max or Monster might help, but the margin for error starts getting a lot smaller.

15 MPH headwind I find a max weight XCal flies like a 170 Destroyer.

gippy
May 03 2009, 03:43 PM
TeeRex is my goto with a heavy head wind just make sure to give it enough hyzer so it dosen't flip all the way over

Merkaba311
May 03 2009, 05:10 PM
When throwing backhand I use an Xcal for headwind drives where I'm trying to get distance at the same time.

When throwing forehand I use a Star Max. The Max and Xcal seem to have similar stability in the wind but the Max has a much bigger fade at the end which takes off some of the distance.