denny1210
May 02 2009, 11:27 AM
Sun King Disc Sports has done it again and secured a great facility to serve as the new home for The Players Cup, which is slated to switch to a spring date in 2010.

I enjoyed the opportunity to co-design the first 18 of 27 holes on the former 9-hole ball golf course in Ocala, Florida.

The course, as is features blue, white, red, and green tees and plays to par 65. The Players Cup "gold" layout is in the works and will only be available around tournament time each year.

The greens fees to walk are only $1 or $6 with a gas golf cart. It's a great deal and a ton of fun. This June, the Ocala Shootout, FFT event will utilized the Greenway course and the new Pine Oaks course, for one of the most challenging and beautiful tournaments in Florida. Ocala has one or two more courses opening later this year and is quickly becoming a Must-Visit Florida disc golf destination, with it's close proximity to I-75.

Check out the course here:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3135

Peace.

pg043
May 03 2009, 11:35 PM
Wow that course looks really sweet. Old oak trees with spanish moss on a converted ball golf course? epic! Good work not letting this great tournament die.

cwphish
May 04 2009, 09:56 AM
Hey Mike and Denny, actually played the course several times now, both before and after the layout changes. So glad that you have seen the future of TPC in Ocala. Love the course after the changes and am looking forward to seeing the gold layout, which I assume will be using a lot of the unused land past #10 and out to the enclosure fence. So cool to have a pro-shop on site (even if it is primarily for ball golf) and have enjoyed the opportunity to explain and show the game to some of the ball golfers that have wandered over. Also get a kick out of standing on the teebox by the entrance and always having a car or two stop to watch. My parents retirement community even had a disc golf outing to Pine Oaks and it got rave reviews. Throwing in a round at the greenway certainly wouldn't be slumming either. Beckett, Mike P. and Dave have done a stellar job out there.

Keep up the great work guys, you have got yourself a gem out at Pine Oaks!

PS: I hope you do NOT change the distance signs on the new holes. I crushed a 490' forearm out there!

jvanduzee
Jul 16 2009, 10:17 AM
I did get a chance to finally play this course (after the last changes) and I must say, this is great golf! It is one of those courses that when you are on it, you get that feeling of "This is what Disc Golf should be". I anxiously await the gold layout. Thanks for the great work!