AlmaWillie
Apr 27 2009, 11:30 PM
About two years ago I was getting ready for a local tourney and distance competition. I was practicing with another player who could throw considerably farther than I could (at the time 300-325 backhand). During practice I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Intead of doing the right thing and letting it heal, I went ahead and played the tourney the next day. I of course had no drive, and actually ended up giving myself a habit of dropping my shoulder (to stop pain in my back) on my pull-through.
I have watched myself on video and I literally almost hit the ground on my pulls. Of course this has lead to a dramatic decrease in distance due to the extreme hyzer release, and the lack of pull-through speed.

I have tried all I know short of a coma to make my body forget this motion and throw right again. I am now only throwing 180-240 feet backhand, and the only good thing that has come of this is me learning to throw more forehand.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do to get my form back?

RhynoBoy
Apr 27 2009, 11:52 PM
Try throwing anhyzers. You'll have arch your back and follow through with a lot higher motion.

LStephens
Apr 28 2009, 12:14 AM
Try standing up TALL...if you have to clench your butt muscles to keep your posture...so be it...SLOW your 'run up' to a 'walk up'...reach back thinking of keeping your elbow up and pulling thru...don't try to throw hard...only excellerate your pull once your disc is even with your torso....now you are instantly throwing 300+.

After doing this..you can start tweaking...and gradually start throwing harder. I'm betting that you are trying way too hard....probably running up fast...bending over to maximize torque..in your mind..and thinking that putting more umph! behind the throw will make it go farther. Meanwhile the 13 yr old girl in Rec is throwing 300+ and she can barely open a jar of pickles by herself....so..stop trying to manhandle the disc..and just throw it.

LStephens
Apr 28 2009, 12:23 AM
Also...what discs are you throwing? I'd give you a 170G Elite X 0 turn XL, a 170G FLX BuZZz, and a max weight Elite X Challenger. I'd have you throwing the Challenger until you could bust out 200 feet with it and keeping it flat. Then we'd work with you on the BuZZz until you could bust it out to 240 feet flat and straight. Then we'd work on the XL until you could bust 300 feet throwing flat with no turn.

When you get those three items checked off...your form will be ready for a meaner driver.

mutt
Apr 28 2009, 12:54 AM
You may try just getting in a field and standing flat footed and reach back and throw while standing straight up. do this for a while to develop muscle memory, then add a step, then work into a run up. this video might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo