disctrapper
Apr 14 2009, 06:54 PM
Over the last year my putt has turned into a nose down putt...not sure how or why this happened. Is putting nose down a bad thing? If so, what are some steps I can take to putt more flat? Thanks!

readysetstab
Apr 14 2009, 11:02 PM
putting nose down isn't a bad thing. with minimal wind its nice. you can learn to use it in different ways to fight wind also. and it can allow you to really make a hard run at the basket with little blow-by, because the disc will sink faster as it slows down.

you're probably releasing the disc near the "back" (6 o'clock). if you really want a flat putt, you should release at around 4 o'clock so that your last point of contact with the disc is more toward the side than totally behind. also, if you use your palm to push the disc off your hand there will be no chance of a nose down or nose up putt because your palm will push the disc in the direction its pointing and your fingers have less interference.

bravo
Apr 14 2009, 11:12 PM
try watching your putter
are you seeing the bottom of your disc?
now throw it so that you only see the top of your disc, with practice youcan the find center or flat.
from 10 feet if your nose up the disc will expose only the top after impact with the cains then fall vertacly into thee basket. nose down or nose up can be affected much more by the head wind than a flat putt learning all three releases will help your game.

CRUISER
Apr 15 2009, 12:27 AM
Over the last year my putt has turned into a nose down putt...not sure how or why this happened. Is putting nose down a bad thing? If so, what are some steps I can take to putt more flat? Thanks!

Well...are you missing or making your putts? And if you are missing, where are you missing?

disctrapper
Apr 15 2009, 01:27 AM
I am definitely guilty of missing a putt or two. The weird thing is, I am generally more consistent putting nose-down (when I miss with this it is usually short, though).

The main issue with my nose down putt, however, is that it gets a lot trickier in the wind. Like with tail wind putts: instead of the disc getting knocked down, the wind actually gets under the flight plate and lifts the disc. I've been trying to use a more flat putt to avoid this problem in winds, but I am not nearly as accurate. I think part of this is because my flat putt is more of a spin putt, while my nose-down putt is a push putt.

What do you think, Cruiser? Does that help explain my problem a little better? Thanks, man.

MTL21676
Apr 16 2009, 09:30 AM
the main mechanical problem with a nose down putt (when you don't want it to do that) is obviously with the release.

Next time you practice, focus on the way the disc feels coming out of your hand. Nose down putts typically have the middle finger as the last thing to touch the disc which is what causes it to become nose down. Once you feel it the first time and then the putt ends up nose down, you are half way corrected. Focus on popping the disc more out of your hand and releasing from your pinky.

But all in all, releasing from the middle finger is really what is doing it.

jshattuck
Apr 18 2009, 10:39 PM
I am definitely guilty of missing a putt or two. The weird thing is, I am generally more consistent putting nose-down (when I miss with this it is usually short, though).

If you are short but on line - pick out a higher aiming point.

pterodactyl
Apr 20 2009, 04:37 PM
the main mechanical problem with a nose down putt (when you don't want it to do that) is obviously with the release.

Next time you practice, focus on the way the disc feels coming out of your hand. Nose down putts typically have the middle finger as the last thing to touch the disc which is what causes it to become nose down. Once you feel it the first time and then the putt ends up nose down, you are half way corrected. Focus on popping the disc more out of your hand and releasing from your pinky.

But all in all, releasing from the middle finger is really what is doing it.

What??

noely757
Apr 23 2009, 02:35 AM
Nose down is great if your a push putter like the champ or Barry. it takes another factor out. However if your a spin putter then it can be mixed. If your a taller or more power putter then it can be good but if not it can leave you with big comeback putts and skips. Its al situational..