johnrhouck
Apr 14 2009, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry to say that the disc golf world has lost another wonderful soul. Rob Chandler left us last Friday. I knew Rob as a good-natured, sportsmanlike, respectful, and very talented young player in the early '90's. He returned to disc golf in the last couple years, and Millennium was proud to be associated with him as a sponsored player. His service to God and to mankind were exceptional.

I was shocked today to hear the sad news. The obituary below comes from his family. Dee and I send his family our most heartfelt condolences. May he rest in peace.

Robert Dwayne Chandler, 42, of Bryan passed away on Friday, April 10, 2009. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, at Hillier Funeral Home. Services are set for 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 15, at First Christian Church in Bryan. Interment will be at Steep Hollow Cemetery in Bryan.

Robert was born on born April 5, 1967. He graduated from Marshall High School, Texas Christian University and Brite Divinity School. He was a former youth minister at East Dallas Christian Church of Dallas, senior minister at First Christian Church in Stratford, Texas, and senior minister at First Christian Church in Bryan-College Station for more than seven years. For the past two years, he was employed at Brazos County MHMR.

Rob was an incredible man, gifted in so many ways. He deeply loved his family and the people he gave his life for. He was deeply loved by his family and everyone who knew him and he loved as deeply as he was loved. Rob excelled at everything he attempted, whether it was ministry, sports, music, studies or being a wonderful husband, father, son, brother and friend. He gave to people in need. He gave away at least two cars when he was barely making ends meet himself. He had his own umbrella ministry in which he collected umbrellas and gave them to people he saw struggling without one. His writings were an inspiration to countless people.

Survivors include his loving wife, Tonya; three children, Chance Schnieder, Cherylanne and Collin; parents, Bob and Cherry Chandler; grandmother, Mary Davis; brother and sister-in-law, Jeff and Pennie; sister, Christina Chandler; father-in-law and mother-in-law, David and Annette Luttrell; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Kristina and Damion Tolliver; grandparents-in-law, Elaine Lumpkin Pruett and Oscar and Jean Luttrell; and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Brazos County MHMR, P.O. Box 4588, Bryan, TX 77805, www.mhmrabv.org (http://www.mhmrabv.org); or First Christian Church Memorial Fund, 900 S. Ennis St., Bryan, TX 77803.

the_kid
Apr 14 2009, 01:49 AM
Very sad...........he was just out at a few tournaments too. He was a really good guy whom I had the pleasure to play a few fun rounds with.

My prayers are with he and the family.

gotcha
Apr 14 2009, 09:59 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/RobbieChandleronVeteransParkHole9.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=RobbieChandleronVeteransParkHole9.jpg)
Rob Chandler on hole 9 at Veterans Park, Arlington, TX (1992 photo)

seewhere
Apr 14 2009, 12:06 PM
wow very sad news :( how did he pass as the last time I saw him he seemed in good health? May his spirit soar with so many other fellow disc golfers that have been taken to young and are playing on the best fairways around.

johnrhouck
Apr 14 2009, 12:58 PM
Here is the updated obituary from the family. I'm sorry I don't know how to post the photo they sent. It's embedded in an e-mail. Maybe someone can help me with that.

Thanks,
John

Robert Dwayne Chandler
April 5, 1967 � April 10, 2009

Robert Dwayne Chandler, 42, of Bryan Texas passed away on Friday, April 10, 2009.

Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, at Hillier Funeral Home.

Services are set for 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 15, at First Christian Church in Bryan. Interment will be at Steep Hollow Cemetery in Bryan.

Robert was born on born April 5, 1967. He graduated from Marshall High School, Texas Christian University and Brite Divinity School.

He was a former youth minister at East Dallas Christian Church of Dallas, senior minister at First Christian Church in Stratford, Texas, and senior minister at First Christian Church in Bryan-College Station for more than seven years.

For the past two years, he was employed at Brazos County MHMR.

Rob was an incredible man, gifted in so many ways. He deeply loved his family and the people he gave his life for.

He was deeply loved by his family and everyone who knew him and he loved as deeply as he was loved.

Rob excelled at everything he attempted, whether it was ministry, sports, music, studies or being a wonderful husband, father, son, brother and friend. He gave to people in need.

He gave away at least two cars when he was barely making ends meet himself.

He had his own umbrella ministry in which he collected umbrellas and gave them to people he saw struggling without one.

His writings were an inspiration to countless people.

Survivors include his loving wife, Tonya; three children, Chance Schnieder, Cherylanne and Collin; parents, Bob and Cherry Chandler; grandmother, Mary Davis; brother and sister-in-law, Jeff and Pennie; sister, Christina Chandler; father-in-law and mother-in-law, David and Annette Luttrell; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Kristina and Damion Tolliver; grandparents-in-law, Elaine Lumpkin Pruett and Oscar and Jean Luttrell; and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Brazos County MHMR, P.O. Box 4588, Bryan, TX 77805, www.mhmrabv.org (http://www.mhmrabv.org); or First Christian Church Memorial Fund, 900 S. Ennis St., Bryan, TX 77803.

Please view and sign the guestbook at www.hillierfuneralhome.com. (http://www.hillierfuneralhome.com.)

seewhere
Apr 14 2009, 01:43 PM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5016/41692530.png

also here is a direct link to the guest book.
Guest Book (http://www.hillierfuneralhome.com/obit-service-schedule.jsp?site=0140&id=43376)

exczar
Apr 14 2009, 05:35 PM
Oh man, another one I hate to read about. I didn't know Rob was a committed Christian. Good to know I will see him again.

Alacrity
Apr 14 2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, I met Rob years back and then both he and I dropped out of disc golf for a while. I got to play with him several years back at Peace Park and really enjoyed seeing him again. He had talked to me about coming up to play Tyler and did make the Piney Woods Pro Am in 2007. I wanted to play a round with him, but running the event kind of killed that.

arlskipshot1
Apr 14 2009, 07:28 PM
Robbie was one of our regulars when we were getting started in the early 90's. We always enjoyed his and Tonya's company out on the course. There has never been a better person to call friend. I enjoyed seeing him playing again after he hit Masters age and got to see him and Tonya on a couple of occassions. I can't help but wonder now, if he was so thin because he was sick. Did he know this was coming and didn't let any of us know? What happened?
We'll always remember you, Robbie.

my_hero
Apr 14 2009, 08:15 PM
I was thunderstuck and deeply saddened when i recv'd the phone call. Rob was truly a class act. I have many great memories of him as he was one of the great Veterans golfers that i learned from. He was so caring and fun to golf with. It was great to see him enjoying the game again after several years of being missed. RIP my friend.

crusher
Apr 14 2009, 09:21 PM
Rob will be dearly missed as he always made me laugh and smile for years as we golfed together.

I still cannot believe he is no longer with us, rest in peace my brother!

Pizza God
Apr 14 2009, 10:23 PM
wow, shock

Rob was always a fun competitor when we were both playing Advance. I always enjoyed playing with him and hanging out with him after the round (because he was a class act)

Bozoclown
Apr 15 2009, 01:11 PM
Words do not express the sadness I feel as I try to accept the loss of a wonderful person and friend. If you love people who CARED you loved Rob. Competing against him was a privilege. Trying to match his intensity brought a higher level of focus into play. Excited to soon be able to play Masters, I was doubly excited to see Rob back on the tourny circuit. And I told him I was looking forward to battling with him again this season as my first Masters year. Last year at Waco, he was one of only 4 Masters players in the tournament. I told him getting to play all 4 rounds with him and the other old school homies would be awesome! I can't believe I will never get that chance, never see that warm look in his eyes as he smiles and grips my hand like a vice.
Rest In Peace Rob Chandler. May your family receive the blessings, strength, and support they need to get through this tragic time.

Pizza God
Apr 24 2009, 01:22 PM
Do we know what took Rob's life yet?

Pizza God
Apr 24 2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the personal reply. I really wish I could have made it down last week.

vinnie
Apr 25 2009, 10:14 PM
Really would like to get a hold of Tanya.....calling Rob's number is a little hard to hear his voice. Me and my wife have enjoyed their company for the last few years while Rob was hitting the course again. We would love touch base with Tanya and the family.......if anyone could help (never needed Tanya's #they were always together)
Our thoughts and prayers go out to them.