ellswrth
Apr 13 2009, 12:55 AM
So I've got 8 days to get from NY to SF and I'm planning to drive a lot -- and also play the following courses. Anyone see any huge mistakes? I've played about 1/2 of these before and want to play them again --but there are a lot of new ones in here, too.

Maple Hill DGC Leicester, MA Fri, May 1st @ 10:00 AM
Brakewell Steel / Warwick Town Park Warwick, NY Sun, May 3rd @ 8:00 AM
Tyler State Park Newtown, PA Sun, May 3rd @ 3:00 PM
The Woodshed Paw Paw, WV Mon, May 4th @ 8:00 AM
Seth Burton Memorial DGC Fairmont, WV Mon, May 4th @ 2:30 PM
Idlewild Burlington, KY Tue, May 5th @ 8:00 AM
Grandview Park Des Moines, IA Wed, May 6th @ 8:00 AM
Ewing Park Des Moines, IA Wed, May 6th @ 12:00 PM
Pickard Park Indianola, IA Wed, May 6th @ 4:00 PM
Water Works Park Thu, May 7th @ 8:00 AM
Swope Park Kansas City, MO Thu, May 7th @ 12:00 PM
Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park Conifer, CO Fri, May 8th @ 8:00 AM
Colorado Mountain College, Glenwood Glenwood Springs, CO Fri, May 8th @ 2:00 PM
Solitude Mountain Resort Brighton, UT Sat, May 9th @ 8:00 AM
North Tahoe Regional Park Tahoe Vista, CA Sun, May 10th @ 11:00 AM

Am I driving right past something I should be playing instead? Lemme know.

MK

LStephens
Apr 13 2009, 01:00 AM
I would say you need to hit Mt. Airy in Cincy on the 5th...or Banklick...now called Lincoln Ridge...after or before you hit the glorious world of Idlewild...but you want to be in IA the next day? Looks as though your travel schedule is going to be tight.

Give me a yell when you get to Idlewild...I'll most likely be there playing or doing course maintenance.

cevalkyrie
Apr 13 2009, 11:04 PM
I personally would rather play Walnut Ridge than Grandview.

ellswrth
Apr 14 2009, 12:51 AM
Both good calls guys. I've played Mt Airy and Walnut Ridge -- they're both great courses. I might switch things up in Iowa, but I don't have time to play Idlewild and something else in Oh-tucky.

I should be at Idlewild right on schedule LStephens -- but I'll try and send you an PM a day or two before I arrive.

Matt

kUrTp
Apr 15 2009, 02:45 PM
Two things - The Seth Burton Memorial DGC in Fairmont, WV has two courses. They are set up so you can play the front of Orange Crush then the back of the Original, Or vise versa. I would suggest doing just that.

Second - Solitude Mountain Resort in Brighton, UT might not be ready yet. I'd check their website to see if all the snow is gone. I played this course back in 04 when I lived in SLC. But I had to wait until June. Granted that year was the longest ski season in Utah history. Snowbird Mt. Resort, where I worked, opened before Thanksgiving and closed JULY 4th.

Jeff_LaG
Apr 15 2009, 02:53 PM
The front nine of Mt. Airy is exquisite, but the back nine pales in comparison and is very, very ordinary. As you well know, Idlewild is the best disc golf course on the planet and I would rather play 27 or 36 holes there and would recommend to others to do the same.

ellswrth
Apr 15 2009, 05:16 PM
Good call kUrTp, thanks for the info.

Martin_Bohn
Apr 15 2009, 06:51 PM
matt, forget about solitude, its another year of epic snowdom. they wont be open until late june, if they are lucky. :( on the other hand if your a skier, woohoo! :D
the colorado courses in the mountains are gonna be snowed in too. same with tahoe i hear. truckee might be ok, but i would check that first.

ellswrth
Apr 15 2009, 07:02 PM
Hey Martin: Good to know -- I'll probably focus on making miles through those parts of the country.

Matt

kUrTp
Apr 16 2009, 09:07 AM
If the snow pack in the rockies is going to free up some time in the east you should consider heading up I-79 before or after Fairmont, WV to Knob Hill in Pittsburgh.

ellswrth
May 01 2009, 08:47 AM
Played Maple Hill Blues yesterday - great course. They've still got a lot of work to do, although it's pretty apparent they've been working hard to recover from that storm that blew threw a while back. I shot a 68, which probably would have been a 67 if the basket for 11 had been puttable (it was smushed by a fallen tree).

If I have the energy after KC - I'll probably take the southern route through Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona and play the course in Bakersfield.

I think I'm going to play both Whippin' Post and the Woodshed now that I realize there are two courses there in PawPaw -- and I'm going to camp. This might mean skipping Seth Burton, we'll see.

johnrock
May 01 2009, 10:08 AM
If you come across I-40, consider a stop in Amarillo. Play the course here then overnight rest and be ready to tackle some of New Mexico's best the next day.

ellswrth
May 02 2009, 09:37 AM
If you come across I-40, consider a stop in Amarillo. Play the course here then overnight rest and be ready to tackle some of New Mexico's best the next day.

Yeah, Amarillo has one of the courses I was considering, plus a Waffle House.

ellswrth
May 04 2009, 10:51 PM
So far so good -- got in a full round of blue to blue at Warwick yesterday morning before the rain started -- this is definitely my favorite course east of Michigan.

Then I drove to Tyler State Park and ended up playing all 27 in the rain. Strange course -- lots of long walks between holes, but I could see it being a lot more fun on a dry day.

Unfortunately my gear wasn't dry enough to play the Paw-Paw courses this morning (also it was dumping buckets of rain this morning), so I'll have to save those for another trip.

So instead of playing Whipping Post and the Woodshed I put the pedal to the metal and made it to Independence, Kentucky (where it wasn't raining) and played the 24 hole Lincoln Ridge (formerly Banklick) with some local rec players. Fun course -- glad I did this one as it was too late to try and get in an entire round at Idlewild.

I'll start tomorrow with some espresso and 18 long holes.

I am thinking I'll rearrange KC and Des Moines and play KC first.

What are some good courses between Des Moines and Reno on I-80?

bigrocc01
May 05 2009, 02:07 PM
Awesome road trip man. I noticed you'll be stopping in Bakersfield. Go to the course directory and link to the Course web pg for a map. I haven't got tee signs in yet.(1more month they should be in) If you have any ?'s call me. I can answer or maybe show you around both courses @ Hart Park. Peace, Rocky (661)303-1353

ellswrth
May 06 2009, 12:28 AM
Awesome road trip man. I noticed you'll be stopping in Bakersfield. Go to the course directory and link to the Course web pg for a map. I haven't got tee signs in yet.(1more month they should be in) If you have any ?'s call me. I can answer or maybe show you around both courses @ Hart Park. Peace, Rocky (661)303-1353

Thanks Rocky,

Unfortunately I'm running out of time and I won't be able to get down to Bakersfield. I'll definitely keep your number though and let you know when I can get down.