padobber
Mar 17 2009, 10:51 AM
Just a quick question. A hole is on a small peninsula with a retaining wall around it. You hit the wall and drop into the water, do you drop where the disc first crossed the water or where it hit the retaining wall? Does hitting the retaining wall constitute going in bounds on that side of the OB? If so would this logic then extend to fences that are OB, etc.?

krupicka
Mar 17 2009, 10:58 AM
It depends on how OB is defined. If OB is defined as being completely surrounded by water, then hitting the retaining wall would be the last place in bounds. If the retaining wall is used to define OB, then the wall itself is OB and you go back to where you first crossed the water.

In the fence scenario, the fence defines OB and is therefore itself OB.

RhynoBoy
Mar 17 2009, 11:44 AM
At the Memorial, on Fountain hills course, there was water to the left of the hole, all down the fairway, and safe to the right. Since the Concrete retaining wall was inbounds, (If you somehow landed on it) they said if your disc skipped on the water and hit the retaining wall, you could take a drop from there.

RhynoBoy
Mar 17 2009, 11:45 AM
Hole 1 by the way.

cgkdisc
Mar 17 2009, 02:39 PM
However, sometimes on island holes such as Winthrop Gold 17, the rule specified by the TD is if your disc ends up OB on the tee shot, the next throw is either taken from the tee or possibly a drop zone regardless whether the disc flew over or touched IB sometime during the flight.

RhynoBoy
Mar 17 2009, 06:29 PM
Yes, but I think we'll all agree that #17 is a very special hole. Because of the BunCr rule this last year, there was no drop zone, and shots that were not safe were taken from the same lie, usually the tee pad. The lay-up area was pretty small too. I really liked the article that broke down the scoring.

cgkdisc
Mar 17 2009, 06:48 PM
Most island holes I've heard about have adopted the retee rule or drop zone for OB on the tee shot though, not just Winthrop Gold 17.