nyemm01
Jan 15 2009, 01:14 PM
In light of the Red Hawk course being pulled and reports of weed on and off the course, me and some buddies are making a stand this year. In years past we've overlooked people smoking weed in a tournament on our card or on other cards. Im sure most everyone has.
This year we all plan on touring and have come to the agreement that if we see anyone on the course smoking during a tournament round we are turning them in. (with a heads up before the round of course)
Ive never been a stickler in the game as far rules, but this stigma and living up to our stereotypes as a sport has gone on way too long.
So, this is just our little way of cleaning up the sport. I dont know about u guys, but we are tired of outsiders looking at the sport we love, as a "stoner" sport!

blazinpat
Jan 15 2009, 02:13 PM
I think everyone should try and do this, it's definitely not easy cuz you're gonna feel like the bad guy, but it's the only way to clean up the image of our sport. So I too will try and do the same.

bcary93
Jan 15 2009, 07:10 PM
It's sad that it's even an issue. But it is.

What to do during rec rounds, though? The vast majority of interaction between disc golfers and the non-dg public occurs not during tournament play but plain old rec golf. Also, illegal drugs is only one issue of many that causes friction along with shouting (obscenities or not, shouting is irritating), vandalism, alcohol use, littering, etc.

In light of the Red Hawk course being pulled and reports of weed on and off the course, me and some buddies are making a stand this year. In years past we've overlooked people smoking weed in a tournament on our card or on other cards. Im sure most everyone has.
This year we all plan on touring and have come to the agreement that if we see anyone on the course smoking during a tournament round we are turning them in. (with a heads up before the round of course)
Ive never been a stickler in the game as far rules, but this stigma and living up to our stereotypes as a sport has gone on way too long.
So, this is just our little way of cleaning up the sport. I dont know about u guys, but we are tired of outsiders looking at the sport we love, as a "stoner" sport!

ishkatbible
Jan 15 2009, 09:44 PM
i've been the one that says "yeah man, i do mind if you spark that up". make a few people unhappy but what the heck? rules are rules and i try to follow them as much as possible.

pgcarlos
Jan 15 2009, 11:01 PM
When I play a tourny, my kids are always in the same event. I don't hesitate to tell everyone on my card that I DO MIND. Some guys get so frustrated without it, they fall apart and have a terrible round. That's OK with me.

nyemm01
Jan 16 2009, 11:39 AM
Haha. One thing is that, yes, i dont want to be that jerk that makes people on my card feel awkward by saying 'no'. Especially, when its a buddy of mine on the card. I mean, what do u say to a guy ur cool with, that has smoked when around before, and thinks its OK to do it again?

I think, for the most part people will EVENTUALLY respect ur request after, of course, they get all butt-hurt and ticked off.
And for those guys that i dont know that play bad without it, just one less guy i have to worry about!

gang4010
Jan 16 2009, 11:47 AM
I mean, what do u say to a guy ur cool with, that has smoked when around before, and thinks its OK to do it again?

You say - DUDE!!!! you know better than that - wait til after - pay the TD a little respect!!

You aren't the bad guy.

gnduke
Jan 16 2009, 12:48 PM
That line always works better when the TD has made a request that all PDGA rules be followed. Which everyone interprets as including rules against illegal substances.

Without active support from the TD, paying the TD a little respect loses some of it's punch.

bob
Jan 16 2009, 12:57 PM
A club in PA, at their events' players meeting, introduces the Police Officer that will be arresting anyone caught with an illegal substance during the event.

nyemm01
Jan 16 2009, 01:16 PM
HA! thats Awesome!

ishkatbible
Jan 16 2009, 02:10 PM
A club in PA, at their events' players meeting, introduces the Police Officer that will be arresting anyone caught with an illegal substance during the event.

that would definately work!!! we need to get one of them for our tournaments.

Jan 16 2009, 02:46 PM
I mean, what do u say to a guy ur cool with, that has smoked when around before, and thinks its OK to do it again?

You say - DUDE!!!! you know better than that - wait til after - pay the TD a little respect!!

You aren't the bad guy.

EXACTLY... it's more about what a TD requests.