Alacrity
Dec 10 2008, 12:55 PM
At my tournament, this past weekend, we had one player in the last round commit multiple acts of unsportsmanlike conduct, including but not limited to, admitting to the use of illegal drugs during the round, running to his car to obtain additional alcohol to his current drink, jumping on baskets, threatening other members of his group, etc, etc, etc. The players in the group had come to a group decision that should he jump one of them, the rest were planning on restraining him. They were beginner/rec players and not knowing the rules well, simply finished the round and told me afterwards. I told them that if they had stopped and reported the activity to the staff we would have dealt with him and they could have finished their round in peace. I apologized to them for his actions.

The deal is, I am going to report the player, but he is not a PDGA member and while I am going to recommend he be banned from PDGA events, so what? He is not a member. After his actions were reported I sent two staff members to find him and ask him to come talk with me. I told them no violence was to occur, just ask him to come in. He kept hiding from them and I never got to speak with him. I am going to see if he left a number and try to call him. Any constructive suggestions?

willyc
Dec 10 2008, 01:08 PM
This is Texas....Hang Him!!!! :eek:

Mark_Stephens
Dec 10 2008, 01:13 PM
It is pretty simple. I would ban him from all future events. Then I would call/email all the surrounding TDs and urge them to do the same.

snarewilm
Dec 10 2008, 01:18 PM
I would hope that since he reged for your tourney his name is in the PDGA system and his name can be distributed to other TD's so they can keep him from screwing up someone elses round not sure if that's logistically possible,but worth a try.

JWI
Dec 10 2008, 03:50 PM
This is all reacting after the fact. If there was a way to prevent this from happening, it would be more proactive.

Mark_Stephens
Dec 10 2008, 04:13 PM
If someone chooses to act like a destructive fool on the course what do you really think that you can do to stop it?

I actually think what I wrote is pretty proactive. If that occured we would never play in a tournament in that area again thus, it would never happen on the course. PROACTIVE! ; )

bruce_brakel
Dec 10 2008, 06:10 PM
He was a member when he was playing your tournament. You took his $10, right? That makes him a member for the day. So the PDGA can discipline for what he did while he was playing the tournament. If you took his information when you took his $10 [yeah, a lot of us are lax on that] the PDGA can even give him a little due process.

You should submit no score for his second round and explain it in the TD report that he was disqualified for misconduct. Lay out your version. Ask them to refer it to the disciplinary committee. If you at least have his name, you might be able to find his contact info on zabasearch.com.

bruce_brakel
Dec 10 2008, 06:14 PM
I can tell you this: Anyone we've ever dq'd for misconduct, and i think we're at three now, we've never seen at another tournament. In this case, that would probably be a good thing.

mikeP
Dec 11 2008, 09:42 AM
Too bad nobody had a taser.

cgkdisc
Dec 11 2008, 11:45 AM
That disc hasn't been approved yet...

mikeP
Dec 12 2008, 10:32 AM
What if we had a disc with a battery that stored the energy generated through spinning as an electrical charge to be transmitted to the first object the disc comes in contact with?

Kette_Master
Dec 12 2008, 12:05 PM
It is pretty simple. I would ban him from all future events. Then I would call/email all the surrounding TDs and urge them to do the same.

I like this idea. There is always one [censored] that TRIES to ruin it for others. Jerry- Who is this yahoo, so I can make sure he gets denied from any events in the Waco/Temple area.

Alacrity
Dec 12 2008, 01:26 PM
I am going to file with the PDGA, if the rules committee agrees I will send out the gentlemans name, but I want to make sure it is with the PDGA's approval.

BIGBUCK
Dec 15 2008, 04:14 PM
I understand that the TD has to do what he has to do. However, at some point it's up to the folks on his card to say something to him and NOT be afraid. Jumping on the basket is something that needed to be addressed right when it happened, not wait to tattle. As far as threats, how about not be afraid there as well and say something. I got a bag full of disks that say you will never make it close to me to lay a hand on me when I say something to you. As far as drinking, from what I understand there were plenty out there that were doing it but discretely. The cards need to police themselves first and foremost and if something can't be handled that way then something is definately wrong. That poor dude just did not have some folks to help him not be stupid. But please beware not to live in a glass house - very few in disc golf come close to squeeky clean. I have heard of far worse stories of inpropriety than that one.

CAMBAGGER
Dec 15 2008, 10:28 PM
The people on the card should have taken care of it when it happened. The the TD should have the authority to remove that player from the tournament. If that person was smoking or drinking, you could have easily called the authorities to the park. (then 1/2 the other golfers would have to run and hide also :D)
There is rarely 1 dude that is that bad that he could take out the other 3 if something were to happen. In the Marines, we took care of that person out in the field. It's amazing how an attitude can change. :D

okcacehole
Dec 15 2008, 10:35 PM
If he actually qualifies as a 'PDGA" member by paying the dues for the day, you only need X number of signatures and a letter to the PDGA explaining why you want him on probation/ect.

come on Cam - Check Blake :)

Sorry to hear this one Jerry, but would not be sure if you can DQ after it was all said and done...I think a good heads up for all (TDs) would be a good start

Stupid is as Stupid Does, but that was about the most infractions I have seen in a post for just one round..

CAMBAGGER
Dec 16 2008, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE]
If he actually qualifies as a 'PDGA" member by paying the dues for the day, you only need X number of signatures and a letter to the PDGA explaining why you want him on probation/ect.

come on Cam - Check Blake :)"

Gotta love some Blake Puffman :D

okcacehole
Dec 16 2008, 02:07 AM
I still have the letter from DJ and myself and all the signatures..

Jerry..if it is a "one time" mistake I am sure you will make the right call..if not..there are options to go further..

can't believe we still have these problems...

and I would love a CFO during my round, but I can wait and behave

august
Dec 16 2008, 08:21 AM
It's very easy to believe we still have these problems because of the demographics as well as the existing culture of "enforcement is not cool". It's as if the majority has never been taken to task for anything they ever done that was inappropriate.

This will continue to get worse before it improves, that is if it ever does improve. My solution is to not play golf with people who behave like that and it has worked quite well.