John Keith
Nov 18 2008, 02:12 AM
Where to put your Thumb? When i was an up and coming am i positioned my thumb close to the rimm of the disc. (RHBH power grip). Yes i got snap but low spin for my potential. As i have improved and critiqued top distance throwers, I have found thumbs to be more towards the inside of the disc (more towards the center) I tried to upload a pic, bit that didnt work.
I read an article that explained the closer to the center of the disc the thumb is (away from rimm) the more control over the flight i will have. (with in reason). so on a ch boss my thumb is within the inner circle of the star stamp. anyways over time i have noticed not only more spin being generated by moving my thumb towards the center of the Disc, but as a result of more spin good distance, and better control of release angle.
( i wish i had a pic to illustrate) Yes it was wierd at first and felt akward. But as i took a step back I now have taken 3 steps forward in distance, spin and control. I have seen some top pros throwing with their thumb pretty far in. Also a good way of learning this thumb tech is by throwing a Roc, or Putter (or any mid) trying to generate more distance your thumb has to automatically come more inward to keep grip and generate spin.
Anyways..Has anyone esle experienced this? and I would encourage some to try moving their thumb and see if you benefit from the control.

Luckymutha
Nov 21 2008, 02:00 PM
If the below link is good, I think Felberg talks about how the thumb should meet the index finger through the flightplate. (I can't view youtube at work to verify).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ABf6csQpM

vadiscgolf
Nov 23 2008, 02:11 AM
The thumb on the rim for sure. Thats where all the control is.

dgdave
Nov 23 2008, 10:42 AM
Right past the rim.

the_kid
Nov 27 2008, 07:45 PM
If you want more nose up/control with putters and mids put the thumb towards the center and for nose down thumb on the rim.

We took video a year or two back inn STL and out of our bunch we all had the thumb towards the center even though we though they were on the rim.

John Keith
Dec 06 2008, 11:10 PM
thanks Matt, i started pushing my thumb more towards center as I have tweaked my Rocs. And it seems it has given me more control to do the same on drivers.

blueindian
Feb 26 2009, 12:05 PM
I just started doing this about a week ago and I have noticed a lot more control and spin. Now I have to figure out the release points again and how it affects my discs but it is a lot of fun to go out and try the new grip. I don't know why I moved my thumb back towards the center but I think I saw a few local Pro's doing it and figured I would give it a try.

pdiddy71
Mar 02 2009, 01:55 PM
does where the thumb is placed affect throwing an anhyzer?