bbwrenn
Nov 17 2008, 08:14 PM
I was wondering what tips any pros or other knowledgable players could give us newer players about executing upshots from 100-200 feet with great consistency. There's rarely an excuse for making errant shots that cost you an extra stroke from this distance, yet I see it constantly in my divisions. (Intermediate and Recreational)

A perfect example of the type of shot I want to work on is the ones Avery Jenkins throws quite often. Good examples are in the USDGC '07 and Clash at Winthrop Gold DVDs. It looks like he throws with a very abbreviated motion, perhaps almost entirely wrist though that could just be what I see. The disc travels very, very flat and straight and no higher than 5 or so feet off the ground.

When you are at a distance that going for the basket is out of the question, this type of shot seems like it may save more strokes than I can count. Any tips on executing it?

Thanks!

bravo
Nov 17 2008, 09:11 PM
practice with your putter in a field throwwing at a tire 100 ft away.

vadiscgolf
Nov 17 2008, 10:49 PM
If you aim at the base of the pole on upshots you tend to stay close leaving a short putt. Also be smooth through your shot and practice upshots often. The more reps, the more consistant your shots will become. If you want to get good fast, practice more than you play casual rounds but play as many tournament rounds as you can, it keeps you focused on your shots when they matter. Just a few tips that help me, good luck and practice.

MikeG
Nov 17 2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.flyingdiscmagazine.com/disc-golf/tips

Scroll down to find Avery's approach tips.

John Keith
Nov 17 2008, 11:54 PM
First Im proud of you for recognizing you should work on this shot. The number one thing to being successful (pro or am) is not fancy drives but always consistantly being able to GET THAT PAR. I have worked on this part of my game a ton, and I can now pretty confidently get to the basket:
Great Pratice: Learn to throw your putter. I guarantee Jenkins can throw a puuter from 250-300 out. Get to your desired practice distance away from a basket (you said 100 ft) and just toss your shot. Putter, mid range. Like VA disc said aim for the pole, I like to imagine a 15 ft circle that I want to land in. (i know i can make that putt).
The less body movement the better, your consistancy will go up. Meaning stand still and use as little motion as possible. Think about it this way, if you were just relaxed playing catch with a buddy about 100 feet away, 1st you wouldnt think much, you just aim and throw, 2nd you wouldnt take a RUN UP to get the disc to your bud, you would just snap it with your wrist. This is the best way to up shot. Little thought, spin the disc and release it striaght to the target.
By the way great practice for my up shot game, play catch with a buddy from a 100 ft out, youll learn great technique with out over thinking the shot.
Sorry Im so long-winded, but im passionate about improving my game and have spent hours practicing this shot...and of course Practice Pays Off.....

circle_2
Nov 18 2008, 12:28 AM
While out there practicing these straight shots...take the time to throw anhyzer and hyzer approaches as well. Rhyno.

boredatwork
Dec 22 2008, 01:22 PM
These are great tips. Only thing I would add is to aim with your body. When you set up for the shot first look down and set your feet in the exact same position every time. As you practice, find out what position works best to head naturally in a specific direction and hone in on the position that allows you to execute the shot with the least effort and body movement (stand and throw). As you fine tune this you can set up in the same position every time and then as you dial in your distance your shot will take care of itself!

circle_2
Dec 22 2008, 02:28 PM
Upshots are literally my only DG-strength. I find them to be most accurate when thrown with 'feel'...as opposed to aiming. So repetition from varying distances sounds like the best formula for grooving these critically important (up)shots.

hallp
Dec 22 2008, 03:31 PM
I was wondering what tips any pros or other knowledgable players could give us newer players about executing upshots from 100-200 feet with great consistency. There's rarely an excuse for making errant shots that cost you an extra stroke from this distance, yet I see it constantly in my divisions. (Intermediate and Recreational)

A perfect example of the type of shot I want to work on is the ones Avery Jenkins throws quite often. Good examples are in the USDGC '07 and Clash at Winthrop Gold DVDs. It looks like he throws with a very abbreviated motion, perhaps almost entirely wrist though that could just be what I see. The disc travels very, very flat and straight and no higher than 5 or so feet off the ground.

When you are at a distance that going for the basket is out of the question, this type of shot seems like it may save more strokes than I can count. Any tips on executing it?

Thanks!

this is a very important part of your game and i suggest you dont throw a putter at first throw something a little more stable maybe a aviar driver or a gator or a stable roc and aim right of the basket about 12 feet and let it glide to the hole!

but even before you do that, you need to get an old school frisbee like an ultra star or any type of ultimate frisbee and just throw that thing a round with your friends. this helps with not only accuracy but your touch and feel of how the putter is supposed to be thrown. if you mess up with the ulitimate frisbee will with out a doubt let you know!!!!!! you will learn to throw those easy little upshots in no time!!!! :D remember practice doesnt make perfect, PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!! get the rythm and timing down first and then execute it with your putter. but you should really try an aviar driver they are stable but they will only go 125-270ft!!!!! perfect for all up shots!!! now go practice lol!!!

pdiddy71
Dec 25 2008, 04:14 AM
i like to picture the flight of the disc from where i am to the basket, and move my arm in the motion with the disc in my hand. i know how the disc i will throw fades and take that into account.wind speed and direction also play into it. i play in a lot of wooded courses, and the upshot/approach is what probably is my strongest part of my game.

Sweeper
Jan 14 2009, 02:07 PM
Throw the disc at the basket. Keep your throw simple. Its easier to be accurate with long smooth pull than it is if you try to muscle extra power onto your disc. I have also found that for "learning" players, throwing low (at the base of the basket) does indeed lead to easier putts and better scores, as mentioned above.

joegraham
Jan 14 2009, 07:26 PM
I throw a hard big bead Avair mostly or a slightly beat Roc if a longer shot. Throw the straightest disc you have. You don't want to have to putt!!! I threw lids back in the day, and it has helped my up shot. It is the only shot that I use an "air bounce" I throw slightly down with a lot of wrist so the disc spins kinda fast and goes flat. That's why I use a stable disc, not a soft putter that is unstable. The disc drops a little, then rises and stalls and lands flat with no skip. If I am within about 80-100 feet I will try to use a putting motion as much as I can to "push putt" the disc that far, again straight and flat. Practice it. It is the one area that amateurs need to learn so they don't waste strokes coming back to the basket. You don't want to have to putt.

gang4010
Jan 15 2009, 03:52 PM
I see alot of people making a good recommendation - use a mid range! Yes - Rocs /Aviars and similarly shaped discs are perfect for this shot.
What I don't see is anyone keying in on HOW to throw this shot. The key to consistency for upshots is choosing a disc you can throw FIRMLY. If you pick a disc which is too fast (even a roc can be too fast from 100'), then you spend a lot of time figuring out just the right touch to keep it close. So pick the slowest disc you can find and go figure out how far you can throw it. If it's an aviar style disc - 200' should be no problem. If it's a birdie/polecat/rattler style disc - maybe that distance dials down to 120-150'. Whichever one you choose - learn to throw it firmly with anheiser, hyzer, and straight approaches. Using that same disc and learning to skip it from 100' away can also be very helpful in getting and keeping you close.

mikeP
Jan 16 2009, 11:02 AM
Another tip I've recieved from several top pros is when you are not feeling the "touch" on your approach, pull out your most overstable disc and lay it out flat and firm and let it skip to the pole. When I'm struggling, its windy, or the ceilings are low I will approach with my Predator using the low skip hyzer both forehand and backhand.