ekauserud
Oct 16 2008, 01:23 AM
I am curious to who has seen it, and is the audio really phone recordings over video? I heard it's phone recordings over video. Someone tell me it's not. Not trying to start some controversy, just curious about the facts. The preview is not very good.

msbatka
Oct 16 2008, 02:03 PM
Try reaching out directly to Rich Givens at Flying Disc Magazine as he is working on the dvd.

I contacted him with a few questions and he promptly replied.

Mike

Giles
Oct 16 2008, 02:23 PM
I'll stir the pot a little bit... Am I the only one that thinks FDM shouldn't be publishing expensive DVD's when they already have our cash for the mag? Given the problem of hitting the delivery dates, priorities seem a little bit off. They are lacking in the service they have already been paid to provide, a free DVD with our subscription is more appropriate than charging $20.
If the mag was handled better I wouldn't even bring this up.

JerryChesterson
Oct 16 2008, 03:27 PM
I'll stir the pot a little bit... Am I the only one that thinks FDM shouldn't be publishing expensive DVD's when they already have our cash for the mag? Given the problem of hitting the delivery dates, priorities seem a little bit off. They are lacking in the service they have already been paid to provide, a free DVD with our subscription is more appropriate than charging $20.
If the mag was handled better I wouldn't even bring this up.

Agreed.

fornia
Oct 16 2008, 10:49 PM
Seconded!

mikeP
Oct 17 2008, 10:09 AM
I think the negative sentiment toward the mag at any given opportunity (like coming into a thread about a DVD) is pretty ridiculous. The new mag does more to legitimize our sport in a professional light than anything I've seen since I became involved in DG. When I show non DGers the magazine I can really see that it blows them away and makes it seem like DG is a big deal.

Giles
Oct 17 2008, 11:06 AM
I think the negative sentiment toward the mag at any given opportunity (like coming into a thread about a DVD) is pretty ridiculous. The new mag does more to legitimize our sport in a professional light than anything I've seen since I became involved in DG. When I show non DGers the magazine I can really see that it blows them away and makes it seem like DG is a big deal.

I think a bunny with a pancake on its head is ridiculous.

The rest of your reply has nothing to do with the question I asked.

fornia
Oct 17 2008, 11:54 AM
I guess it's great that Non DG's are blown away by the mag.

I'd just like to ask them if they'd enjoy their issue of Sports Illustrated if it came weeks or months after the events covered actually occurred.

For we DG's, it sucks...bottom line.

savard1120
Oct 17 2008, 12:24 PM

have you actually read the magazine? probably doubtful since most have us have not even received the product we paid for

ChrisWoj
Oct 17 2008, 02:06 PM
This thread is enough to make me glad that the mag is one thing I didn't pay for this year.

mikeP
Oct 17 2008, 02:40 PM

I think a bunny with a pancake on its head is ridiculous.

The rest of your reply has nothing to do with the question I asked.

And the question you asked had nothing to do with this particular thread about a DVD...It just sucks that someone who might have a genuine interest in the topic of this thread has to wade through all this negativity about a subject that would probably be better discussed in its own thread. That's all.

Giles
Oct 17 2008, 02:48 PM
You should have started a new thread to tell me that.

mikeP
Oct 17 2008, 03:11 PM
You should have started a new thread to tell me that.

:D

lien83
Oct 17 2008, 04:39 PM
I miss the old Mag :(

Luke Butch
Oct 19 2008, 04:11 PM
I think I heard they are filming it either this weekend or next.

dwmichaels
Oct 20 2008, 01:32 AM
If you go to the site, they say that what's up now is just advertising to spread the word that it's coming. That the video and sound are professional quality.

As for what should they be doing, I haven't had an issue with the magazines. I mean, there's only 1 disc golf magazine, and disc golfers ran the last magazine off.

What they are doing is getting two of the best disc golfers in the world to help make an instructional dvd. How many instructional dvds are there? I believe only 2 - Stokely and Monroe. For other sports there are lots of avenues to learn proper form and practice, but with disc golf, there really isn't. You can say go throw in a field or get advice from somebody on a local course, but not everybody has a good local pro and throwing by itself doesn't improve form or skill.

Considering it's their first year out of the gate, I'm willing to give them a pass for now and see what they do. I don't see a reason to squash any enthusiasm these guys might have right off the bat.

If you're unhappy with the delivery, why not take a proactive step - e-mail or call them up and ask if you can do anything to help. Remember, this isn't Sports Illustrated, it's Flying Disc Magazine - they don't have the staff, budget or range of sports to cover.

Not saying the question is unfounded, just that it might be a tad premature.

krupicka
Oct 20 2008, 03:58 PM
I think the issue people have is that it is near the end of October, disc golf in the North is slowing down, and FDM still owes the members 3 issues for this year. Making an instructional DVD is great. Making sure that they live up to their contract and put out a bi-monthly magazine would be nice as that is what much of the membership has already paid for. As much as I enjoy getting the magazine, I'm not going to pay for it again next year when the publisher doesn't live up to their end of the bargain.

FDM needs to follow up on their obligations first (i.e. the magazine) and then devote time to other projects. If they deliver on the former, I'm all for the latter.

Jeff_Peters
Oct 20 2008, 05:03 PM
This thread is enough to make me glad that the mag is one thing I didn't pay for this year.

2nd

JerryChesterson
Oct 20 2008, 05:11 PM
If you're unhappy with the delivery, why not take a proactive step - e-mail or call them up and ask if you can do anything to help. Remember, this isn't Sports Illustrated, it's Flying Disc Magazine - they don't have the staff, budget or range of sports to cover.

And yet you are paying for it like you pay for SI. If they don't have the resources to do it they shouldn't have bid for it.

bgwvdave
Oct 21 2008, 11:36 AM
Look for issue four on a quick cycle.

This was posted on the Magazine thread on July 13th
i received my issue 3 when arrived back from Worlds in Mid August. it is now the end of October and still no issue 4. they will now have to produce 3 magazines in 2 months. so i can imagine the lack of content with the 2 last issues considering the size of the sport. I am a little dissapointed with the publication company and their lack of abaility to deliver the product we paid for in a timely manner. as well as making claims to do a btter job and again flounderin on that claim as well.

what could we possibly do to help???? write articles? that is smalles part of Publishing a magazine. the lay out, printing and distribution is the bulk of what happens to get a magazine in the hands of the end user. this you can not help with. If they don't have the Staff or Budget to produce a magazine then maybe they should have not been awarded the contract to produce a product they are unable to make.

I am sorry, i have been a propenent of the PDGA for the 3 and half years i have been in the sport. But what i am seeing with the Web site and magazine have definetly been a little disappointing. And if Flying Disc Golf Magazine can not put out what they where hired to do which is produce 6 magazines in 2008 then i would expect a rebate for product not recieved with my membership renewel next year. i do not have the luxury of not renewing as they are the governing body of an organization i am entrenched in. But it would be nice for them to be fair about the possible short comings of this year.

dwmichaels
Oct 24 2008, 11:17 AM
I don't see how complaining publicly helps anybody. Not doing that would be helpful.

I can't believe you're disappointed after only 3 1/2 years. Why don't you go ask Rick how he felt when it was the membership of the PDGA who basically got the magazine he published dumped after his decades of support.

This is still a small sport and as a member you have to accept that there are growing pains. The startup of a new magazine is one of those.

I don't intend to argue, I just see enough complaining and "what about me" everywhere I look. Disc golf has been the one place where people have been "better" than the "general population". More generous, kinder, more helpful, etc. I want to extend that to the guys at the magazine until they get under their feet (instead of kicking them before they get up).

JerryChesterson
Oct 24 2008, 01:29 PM
I don't see how complaining publicly helps anybody. Not doing that would be helpful.

I can't believe you're disappointed after only 3 1/2 years. Why don't you go ask Rick how he felt when it was the membership of the PDGA who basically got the magazine he published dumped after his decades of support.

This is still a small sport and as a member you have to accept that there are growing pains. The startup of a new magazine is one of those.

I don't intend to argue, I just see enough complaining and "what about me" everywhere I look. Disc golf has been the one place where people have been "better" than the "general population". More generous, kinder, more helpful, etc. I want to extend that to the guys at the magazine until they get under their feet (instead of kicking them before they get up).

You are way off base. When you pay good money for something you have a right to complain when people who you are paying don't fullfill promisses they've made.

J_VanOver
Oct 24 2008, 03:15 PM
I keep hearing growing pains or that disc golf is still a new sport. The sport has been around for 30 years. Why is it still experiencing growing pains? I think if all of the players treated it, disc golf, as a legitimate sport then it would become a legitimate sport. Discs are sold right along other sporting goods in major retailers and also in some unconventional locations (gas stations and grocery stores - which is a little weird and may be a bad thing if you are on the outside looking in) so why is there always a complaint that disc golf doesn't get its just dues? Because it's not televised? Neither is badmitten or table tennis. Are both of those sports? In my opinion, I think there are three things that would make our sport better and more mainstream (and I think about and work on these weekly):

1. A disc that doesn't change characteristics. I know that this is bad for the mfgs but what other sport do you have to change your major piece of equipment that changes characteristics. Golf clubs stay the same except worn out grips, tennis racket stays the same but needs new strings, tennis balls "die" but you can buy more and they are exactly the same as the ones you just had and it isn't even the main piece of equipment. Bats, gloves, skates, puck, stick, etc. Volleyballs wear out but again can be replaced with an exact duplicate each time, and the list goes on and on. I haven't seen someone throw the same mold (2 or more discs) where it does the same exact thing. Each is a little different. I'm personally not that good so I don't pretend to say I could see the difference myself.

2. A basket that doesn't spit out a legit putt. We have all had spit outs from hitting the pole. Balls don't normally bounce out of golf holes. There are lippers but not to the extent that we have when we golf. Maybe it's a smaller pole, hanging basket, or something else. I would like to see something done. I'm working on a smaller pole design myself. It requires a little bit of lighter chains though. If there is any company that reads this and wants to take the idea, please do because it's for the betterment of the sport.

3. Course design and maintanance that is consistant for all skill levels. I think that this is where we could mirror ball golf with multiple tee placements not multiple pins. Ball golf doesn't have mulitple holes on a green, why do we have multiple baskets? I can understand moving baskets to different placements, like moving golf holes on the green, but I think it insane when I go play a course that has 3 tee pads to 4 different baskets. It's so confusing and a waste of money and damaging to the environment walking all over the place just because the designer wanted to make everyone happy. There will always be people that play from the "blacks" and their score will suffer. We should have the same 2 or 3 tee pad layout as ball golf. Red - Women/Jr/Low AM, White - Int, Adv, Blue - Open. Put the other protected divisions where you want in the mix. The only place where I can see multiple baskets is when there isn't enough land to have 18 individual holes and then it's 2 baskets max per hole. And yes, still use the same tee pads for both baskets.

Sorry for the thread drift....Back on topic.

I agree that we are not getting what we paid for. I would rather get a subpar magazine on time then no magazine at all. If you want to experience growing pains for the magazine then have the production get better not the time take longer.

I'm excited about the video because I have spoken with both Ken and Dave about it. (I just happened to be in the room with them when they were talking about it). I think it may have been Ken by himself or Dave by himself and they kind of joined forces which I think it good for sales. The Best and the Future in one video. I think it will be beneficial to me and my game for sure. I do hope that the same people that are responsible for getting out the magazine isn't the same people working on the DVD.

Jason "Deacon" VanOver

dwmichaels
Oct 28 2008, 03:10 PM
Reading the FDM site, they say that the video is being done by somebody else. A professional video crew.

I'd like to see people stop referring to tees as women/men or am/pro, etc. They're just long and short - they should both present an enjoyable game for all.

While I agree that if you're not getting what you paid for you have the right to complain, I'm just saying that this really does no good. Other than you realize that others are not receiving the magazine either. It would be better placed either in an FDM thread or on the FDM forum (which is new and under used as well).

As to the comment about this sport being new and developing, it is. It has been around for 30 years, but there is still little money in it at the professional level and an immense amount of work is still done at the charity level. By that I mean, most tournaments are still put on by a person and money taken out of their pocket to fund it (and then reimbursed). It's still their free time spent on the event, etc. Course maintenance is predominantly done by locals and players vs state, county, city, etc.

The option would be changing courses to pay to play which would enable others to make a profit of the course and pay folks to care for it, improve it and pay for folks to put on tournaments, etc.

JWI
Oct 30 2008, 06:40 PM
I don't want a sub-par magazine. I want my money back. That shorthanded excuse for a magazine is an embarassment to my intelligence. My college newspaper had more professional and thought-provoking articles in it, and that was free!

I agree that we are not getting what we paid for. I would rather get a subpar magazine on time then no magazine at all. If you want to experience growing pains for the magazine then have the production get better not the time take longer.

magilla
Nov 01 2008, 02:13 PM
I am curious to who has seen it, and is the audio really phone recordings over video? I heard it's phone recordings over video. Someone tell me it's not. Not trying to start some controversy, just curious about the facts. The preview is not very good.

The filming took place the weekend of 10/25 in LA at Veterens Park in Sylmar or so Feldberg told me as he was heading to the airport for the trip. ;)
It was delayed due to the FIRES that were in the area 2 weeks prior.
They could NOT get the Video equip insured due to the proximity of the fires to the site, so it needed to be delayed.
I do not know who did the shooting BUT seeing how it was done on the West Coast, Id assume that the Mag people didnt do it. But it would make sense for them to promote it.

Its interesting to me that over the years I find that the complainers are not the DO'ers just those that expect to show up and have it all done for them...perfectly....every time.. :p

J_VanOver
Nov 04 2008, 10:22 AM
I'd like to see people stop referring to tees as women/men or am/pro, etc. They're just long and short - they should both present an enjoyable game for all.

I was making a reference to ball golf where they are called womens tees. Officially in ball golf they are not even called womens tees. Each tee is set up per skill level. That was what my intention was for disc golf. I think that it is funny to see guys (and the occasional woman) go back to the long tee to throw and then complain that it didn't make the turn or land in the fairway. I proudly go to the short tee because that is where my skill level is currently. I play the long tees during leagues becuase that is where we play from but during my casual round I walk to the shorts.

As to the comment about this sport being new and developing, it is. It has been around for 30 years, but there is still little money in it at the professional level and an immense amount of work is still done at the charity level. By that I mean, most tournaments are still put on by a person and money taken out of their pocket to fund it (and then reimbursed). It's still their free time spent on the event, etc. Course maintenance is predominantly done by locals and players vs state, county, city, etc.

I agree that is the case. My question was why is it that way. It's because we are viewed as a bunch of hippy potheads that throw frisbees. I was trying to avoid that but it's true.

We aren't seen as atheletes because anyone can play the game and get good enough to compete. Which I think is awesome. That was one of the draws for me. I can go on the course and see some really good players on one hole and a family with 3 kids playing the same course on the next hole. There is a lot of positives and negatives to the sport and those positives and negatives (sometimes the same thing) is what makes our sport great. All of us who are serious about the sport want to see it become just as big as the NFL or NBA or at least see it as a legit sport. So my question was why aren't we viewed that way. Something that has been around for 30 years and had major exposure in the 70's and 80's is now a sport that is divided to subcategories and some categories aren't even available to us. When is the last time someone threw MTA in an event that only occurs every 3 years? What about TRC? What about Guts and freestyle? We need to decide what our history is and what we want our future to be. Do we want to be associated with our hippy heritage or do we want to break free from that and focus on individual sports and make disc golf a legitimate sport that we all want it to be?

The option would be changing courses to pay to play which would enable others to make a profit of the course and pay folks to care for it, improve it and pay for folks to put on tournaments, etc.

Again, ball golf. As far as I know, there are no free ball golf courses. Why do you think that a baseball field that is on a free park is never used? Or a soccer field? People don't see worth in something that is given to them. That is why we have garbage all over our courses because the casual golfer and bums that live in the park don't see the worth of what is given to them freely. There is a course in English, IN that is on a ball golf course that cost $20 to play and is about an hour from Louisville. The Louisville golfers that have been there rave about it and make the trip to go play there. $20 and a drive to go play because it's a great course and you get to ride on a cart! About half way there is a course that cost $5 to play. In Louisville there are 2 courses that are free. Which course do you think gets the best review? The $20, then the $5, then the harder course where there is little trash and then the old course that has garbage all over the place. I guess what I'm saying is that humans put more worth on things that cost more money even if they serve the same purpose. Maybe we should transition to pay-to-play to help get our sport more recognized. I guess time will tell. In the mean time I will keep volunteering to run the bag tag league (which includes buying the tags and getting reimbursed) and keep showing up and helping in the other local events.

savard1120
Nov 04 2008, 02:52 PM
wheres the magazing?

John Keith
Nov 04 2008, 10:45 PM
I dont know why people cant handle criticism in a forum: isnt that what this is about, people and their thoughts. Why are people so hard on others for speaking their mind, criticism doesnt kill someones business, actually, A smart business man will tell you , that you need Feed Back, neg and pos to improve business. Also FDM is a business, and business people have to keep their customers happy, Thats called business....

John Keith
Nov 04 2008, 10:50 PM
im tired of hearing people say, "stop saying that or that, we need to promote our sport, and your not helping with that comment", uh hello , All of US golfers online chatting in a PDGA discussion obviously care about OUR sport....
sorry, just saying... ive heard that like 30 times..

FrankWhite
Nov 05 2008, 09:50 PM
I just love the bunny with the pancake. that's funny. The mag./dvd issue is not. get with it fdm

johnrock
Nov 06 2008, 01:07 AM
Its interesting to me that over the years I find that the complainers are not the DO'ers just those that expect to show up and have it all done for them...perfectly....every time..

You can't say I haven't been a do'er! I've been do'ing more around here for longer than some of these new players have been alive! ;)

I'm really not much into complaining, but I'm pretty turned off by the PDGA and FDM this year. I probably will NOT renew my subscription next year. And I really enjoy reading about this game.

mikeP
Nov 07 2008, 03:48 PM
I dont know why people cant handle criticism in a forum: isnt that what this is about, people and their thoughts. Why are people so hard on others for speaking their mind, criticism doesnt kill someones business, actually, A smart business man will tell you , that you need Feed Back, neg and pos to improve business. Also FDM is a business, and business people have to keep their customers happy, Thats called business....

Its the inpersonal format of an internet forum where anyone can say anything without any form of human accountability. How many things have you read on forums that people would NEVER say to someone's face in the same manner? In a room with a computer talking mostly to people who will never know them, people can hide behind their failures and mistakes and simply lash out with the wrath of God. I often wonder about these harsh critics and how perfectly they actually perform their responsibilities in life.

BTW, this is not in direct response to hollywood or any other post on this thread, but meerly a general observation.

rollinghedge
Nov 07 2008, 05:15 PM

2nd

3rd!

http://www.gamersrepublik.com/publik/imgages/bunny.jpg

stack
Nov 07 2008, 06:32 PM

2nd

3rd!

http://www.gamersrepublik.com/publik/imgages/bunny.jpg

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/missingbreakfast.jpg

Luke Butch
Nov 07 2008, 11:23 PM
The filming took place the weekend of 10/25 in LA at Veterens Park in Sylmar or so Feldberg told me as he was heading to the airport for the trip. ;)
They could NOT get the Video equip insured due to the proximity of the fires to the site, so it needed to be delayed.
I do not know who did the shooting BUT seeing how it was done on the West Coast, Id assume that the Mag people didnt do it. But it would make sense for them to promote it.

Its interesting to me that over the years I find that the complainers are not the DO'ers just those that expect to show up and have it all done for them...perfectly....every time.. :p

sooo true about the DO'ers. Ive only recently gotten into the talk about the mag, but it seems every complainer loves to talk, but doesnt want to do anything to fix the problem.

the video was filmed by a professional production company. THATS why it was filmed near LA- disc golf can't afford to fly out crews just yet, lol

the preview was nothing more than A PERSONAL RECORDING (by Rich i think) that was put up just for fun. Dave and Ken both were mic'd up the whole video. BTW Dave told me this last weekend, less than a week after filming so this stuff is pretty accurate :)

ChrisWoj
Nov 08 2008, 07:04 PM

sooo true about the DO'ers. Ive only recently gotten into the talk about the mag, but it seems every complainer loves to talk, but doesnt want to do anything to fix the problem.

the video was filmed by a professional production company. THATS why it was filmed near LA- disc golf can't afford to fly out crews just yet, lol

the preview was nothing more than A PERSONAL RECORDING (by Rich i think) that was put up just for fun. Dave and Ken both were mic'd up the whole video. BTW Dave told me this last weekend, less than a week after filming so this stuff is pretty accurate :)

Your sources aren't close enough to the situation for me to be convinced, you are clearly misinformed.

JCthrills
Nov 09 2008, 02:29 AM
3. Course design and maintanance that is consistant for all skill levels. I think that this is where we could mirror ball golf with multiple tee placements not multiple pins. Ball golf doesn't have mulitple holes on a green, why do we have multiple baskets? I can understand moving baskets to different placements, like moving golf holes on the green, but I think it insane when I go play a course that has 3 tee pads to 4 different baskets. It's so confusing and a waste of money and damaging to the environment walking all over the place just because the designer wanted to make everyone happy. There will always be people that play from the "blacks" and their score will suffer. We should have the same 2 or 3 tee pad layout as ball golf. Red - Women/Jr/Low AM, White - Int, Adv, Blue - Open. Put the other protected divisions where you want in the mix. The only place where I can see multiple baskets is when there isn't enough land to have 18 individual holes and then it's 2 baskets max per hole. And yes, still use the same tee pads for both baskets.

Ball golf does in fact use different hole locations on the green, they have to move the hole to evenly wear the grass. Also, during PGA and other high level tournaments cup locations are moved daily, Sundays are typically the hardest locations.

savard1120
Nov 09 2008, 07:45 PM
where is my magazine?? why have i not received a single issue i paid for?? It's good to see you have the time to put out more money making endeavors without fulfilling to provide a product in which me and so many others have paid for

<font color="blue"> [profanity removed] </font>

John Keith
Nov 09 2008, 10:51 PM
i agree Discspeed, all im saying is criticism is a good thing. For one if its thoughtful and 2 if the receiver takes it to make themself better.
and i am the kind of person that will say what ever i say on here--to any ones face. I can dish reality / criticism...and I take it just as well..thats the way I learn in Life&gt;
Tiger Woods said, we learn alot more from losing, than we will ever learn from winning", i agree.

John Keith
Nov 09 2008, 10:52 PM
How many mags has everyone else received? I have only received 2 this year?

Luke Butch
Nov 09 2008, 11:01 PM
where is my magazine?? why have i not received a single issue i paid for?? It's good to see you have the time to put out more money making endeavors without fulfilling to provide a product in which me and so many others have paid for

<font color="blue"> [profanity removed]

I will give you $10 if you stop posting on this board

deal?

J_VanOver
Nov 10 2008, 12:56 AM

Ball golf does in fact use different hole locations on the green, they have to move the hole to evenly wear the grass. Also, during PGA and other high level tournaments cup locations are moved daily, Sundays are typically the hardest locations.

True but they only use one per day. I'm talking about courses that have multiple pads that you can throw to multiple baskets just because they are there. I'm not talking about a course that that is on a small plot of land that has a basket for the front nine and a basket for the back nine. I'm talking about a course that has "A" basket, "B" basket and a "C" basket and they are all in the ground all the time and while you are playing you can say "I'll think I'll throw to A on this hole and C on this hole and B on this hole" or worse your disc goes the wrong way and you hole out on a basket just because it's closer to where you landed.

savard1120
Nov 10 2008, 11:05 AM

<font color="blue"> [profanity removed]

I will give you $10 if you stop posting on this board

deal?

no like i've stated numerous times its not about the money, its about accountability and responsibility which this company obviously has zero intentions of fulfilling on either, it is therefore my right as an american to use free speech to tarnish the reputation of sorry @ss company

walker
Nov 14 2008, 01:56 AM
I support pay to play, as long as it never reaches $35 greens fees like most current ball golf courses! Which is why I quit playing ball golf 4 years ago. I have no problem dropping $5 for a round though. I also always try to help out on local work days, as a way to 'pay back' the course for all the free rounds. An issue with making all courses pay to play, is how to collect the money. Ball golf courses have a clubhouse, and a staff to take money, and (though it does happen) sneaking on to the course without paying is not an issue. Not many disc golf courses can to this though. The 'honor' system is a good ideal, but it's just an ideal.

anyway, back on topic, some have mentioned that we paid so much for the mag product, but $1.67 for a magazine isn't really a whole lot! (if all 6 issues show up of course)

and back on the REAL topic, looking forward to the DVD, as anyone who's seen me throw knows it's obvious i need help, but I agree maybe the FDM should throw it in to anyone who pays the $10 for next year.