Lou
Oct 12 2008, 10:32 AM
We have a new course in the making in Palmyra MO. The front tees are already done. that is where our tee signs are located. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to mark our back tees? This course doesn't have concrete yet. Not for a while. I'm looking for unique ideas. Keep in mind, this is a public park where people play softball, walk, walk their dogs, have picnics etc.

cgkdisc
Oct 12 2008, 11:11 AM
Just put tee boards down for the back tees and don't mark them with anything above ground. You could paint the boards and stencil hole numbers and footages on them.

gang4010
Oct 12 2008, 11:27 AM
Take some 16oz party cups and fill them with concrete, then stick an 8" galvanized spike in the wet concrete. Once it hardens - pop it out and paint it whatever color you want to represent the long tee. You can even stencil the # on it if you want. This allows for easy marking, and also for moving the location around til you find the spot you want for the permanent tee. One 80lb bag of Sakrete, will make 30-40 cups - enough for one complete set of tees.

cgkdisc
Oct 12 2008, 12:14 PM
Cool idea, Craig. Sounds more secure and better than the ball shaped markers used for golf tees which can be pricey and easily stolen.

jpowell
Oct 13 2008, 06:40 PM
Great idea! One question, though, how do you get it in the ground without breaking to concrete? Only way I could envision putting it in was driving it.

James Powell

Lou
Oct 13 2008, 07:41 PM
The ground in the midwest is fairly soft. I like the concrete cup idea, but does anyone have more ideas? We burried painted bricks at our other course but they are hard to find after the grass starts growing around them.

jpowell
Oct 14 2008, 01:55 PM
The ground in my part of Georgia is hard red clay. I thought about bricks as well, but nixed that for the same reason.

reallybadputter
Oct 26 2008, 08:50 AM
8"x8" or 12"x12" concrete pavers buried to ground level are better than bricks because they cause a larger bare spot, but can be inset so that a mower won't hit them.

gang4010
Oct 27 2008, 04:13 PM
Great idea! One question, though, how do you get it in the ground without breaking to concrete? Only way I could envision putting it in was driving it.

James Powell

As long as you let them harden for a couple weeks - you can drive the spike in by tapping it with any wooden handled garden tool. A sledge hammer used upside down carries the weight you need without having to whack it with a hammer. Usually the weight of the concrete is enough to drive the spike in the ground 4" unless your ground is excessively hard.

sandalman
Oct 29 2008, 06:32 PM
is the spike in the ground or sticking up?

i know its a stupid question, but i can see reasons to do it both ways. the curse of overthinking :)

gang4010
Oct 30 2008, 12:32 PM
painted cup up
spike in the ground
you're a silly boy Pat (that's not a personal attack is it?)

sandalman
Oct 30 2008, 10:41 PM
at least you commented in public, craig. silly is not an attack. its a putty. :D

i was imagining a little flag on that little builtin flagpole. sure, it might need cushioning, but thats a detail. or mounting a disc or two on it, sandwich style. provides a good advertising location, who knows. i can back my stupid questions up, even tho i am a silly :)