westxchef
Oct 07 2008, 02:56 AM
At USDGC there were putting practice areas set up to allow players to stay warm during long back-ups.
This was unique to this event.
Was this dynamic taken into account for round ratings.
In round putting practice could potentially be an edge for players.
Was this factored into ratings so as to level them vs. other tourneys on similar SSA courses that did not have a "putting area".

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 03:05 AM
If anything, the previous USDGC ratings would be off due to players not being able to stay in the flow of the game due to waiting. Effects, if any, would be too small to determine even if we had a controlled experiment to try and discover it because the natural variance in human performance that produces SSA values would mask any effect.

mitchjustice
Oct 07 2008, 03:21 AM
So was this a XMajor event?

twoputtok
Oct 07 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm sure the buncr rule didn't affect ratings either.

Wouldn't be easier to just sell mulligans? :D

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 03:30 AM
I'm sure the buncr rule didn't affect ratings either.

Of course they do but then so does every OB rule.

Wouldn't be easier to just sell mulligans?

We don't also count a throw when we sell mulligans in Minnesota. Sounds like a bad deal to buy them in Tulsa? :p

mitchjustice
Oct 07 2008, 03:34 AM
Chuck...what other rules can I ignore when running an event?

twoputtok
Oct 07 2008, 03:35 AM
I guess that would be depend on the price. ;)

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 03:38 AM

What rules were ignored? Anything the USDGC has tried has alway been run past the PDGA for approval. And practice is allowed in the basic USGA rules for ball golf so it's not even an unusual precedent to request it.

mitchjustice
Oct 07 2008, 03:47 AM

What rules were ignored? Anything the USDGC has tried has alway been run past the PDGA for approval.

Yes, but would that not make the event an X tier...I would think an event at the "Highest" level would be by the book and all the rules would be followed...At Worlds this year there where huge delays during the rounds at Timberidge...where they allowed to practice shots?...maybe they forgot to ask?...are there other rules that I could ask to not be in effect ?

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 04:05 AM
The USDGC has been the poster child for rules exceptions and testing from the beginning. The first year they got the exception to require a retee on hole 17 even if the disc flew over inbounds on the green. That's now in the rulebook.

padobber
Oct 07 2008, 06:25 AM
but putting during rounds is not, correct. you know best, just trying to understand! man, you need your own topic!!

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 07:12 AM
but putting during rounds is not, correct.

This is the USGA rule. See page 45 in this PDF starting with rule 7-2 near the bottom. www.usga.org/playing/rules/pdf/2008ROG.pdf (http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/pdf/2008ROG.pdf)

Putting and chipping is allowed between holes unless the tournament or series (PGA) specifically prohibits it. In disc golf, it's just the opposite, putting or throwing any time other than your official throw is not allowed unless granted a waiver from the Tour Director which it was for the USDGC.

padobber
Oct 07 2008, 07:16 AM
i hear you chuck. but i thought this was disc golf? sorry for the confusion!

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 07:20 AM
Several have claimed it wasn't allowed in ball golf. Just pointing out that allowing putting first of all was not some radical idea. Second of all, a waiver was requested and granted long in advance so players like you could complain before, and now after, the event. Other waivers of rules at the USDGC have eventually become official rules such as forced reteeing being allowed. So, the USDGC has been a leader in testing and then advancing the rules of the game due to its high profile.

padobber
Oct 07 2008, 07:24 AM
I am not complaining chuck! I am just trying to learn. I will get there someday!!

cgkdisc
Oct 07 2008, 07:29 AM
Another waiver that was granted had to do with lost discs and using drop zones which is not indicated in the rulebook. This waiver has been used at 2007 Pro Worlds and a few other events with "mountain" holes like Green Mountain NT. This is likely to become an official rule in the next update.

bob
Oct 07 2008, 03:44 PM
Putting was allowed, yes. But it was a free for all with all kinds of throws. I thought putting in the circle to keep loose was the thing, but was "corrected" when I offered that long approaches were not permited.
It was an experiment and that's cool, but there was no control or guide concerning what was to be permited. Or what could be done to stop any abuse of the warming up area.
They used Innova Traveller style baskets to minimise the noise.