sillycybe
Sep 23 2008, 03:03 PM
Here's another "You make the call"

A group tees from the wrong tee area, holes out and proceed to the next hole where they all make their drives. Looking back, they realize they'd played the wrong tee. Should they have:

A) continued play as normal and taken the 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong tee 801.04(1)

B) gone back and played the right tee area and then continued.

If they chose option B, Saying they 3'd the hole from the wrong tee, that would've been a 5 including the 2 stroke penalty, add on a practice stroke for the drive on the next hole, and an additional 3 practice throws for playing from the right tee - that would net them a score of 9 for the hole?

gnduke
Sep 23 2008, 03:45 PM
A. is the only option supported by the rules.

As for option B, either the TD counts the first time on the hole as the official time, or the second time as the official time. The rules do not support the second option, but I have seen a lot of calls that made less sense.

The first option would result in the 3 strokes + 2 for misplay + 1 practice throw on the next hole. If they declare that the replay of the hole is a provisional because there is confusion over the ruling, the replay does not count against them. If they do not declare provisionals before re-playing, the replay counts as practice throws. With Provisionals, Score = 6; without provisionals, score = 9.

The second option would be possible if the TD was bending over backwards to be nice to the group. Then the score would be 3+1 practice throws + the score of the replay. There would be no strokes for the misplay because they were all practice throws and they effectively never played the hole the first time. IMHO, This would be a very bad call by the TD, but I've seen worse. Score = 7

All scores are based on everyone taking a 3 on the hole both times.

All opinions are my own and are just my opinions.