Grog
Sep 22 2008, 09:33 PM
He must be serious he said it twice!
-Monroe D Underwood

It's Back! This fall - Traveling Doubles!

http://www.sanantoniodiscclub.com\images\trvldbl.gif

Grog
Oct 14 2008, 01:02 AM
This Saturday! MCClain Park! Doubles!

http://www.sanantoniodiscclub.com/images/trvldbl.gif

There are 2 changes to the current schedule. Entry fee will be $7.00 per person instead of $8.00 (No CTP).

The 11/01/08 mini will be at Live Oak (Lake holes) instead of of UC. I will post a new schedule shortly.

Don't forget the McClain Open (C Tier) on 10/25/08 at McClain. I will be accepting registration at both the Saturday morning mini and the doubles mini.

_G

Grog
Oct 17 2008, 03:51 PM
Tomorrow!

Please note all changes.

http://www.sanantoniodiscclub.com/images/doubles.jpg

Grog
Oct 19 2008, 08:27 AM
November First is "Bring a Newbie Day!"

11/01/08 we will play the Lake Holes at Live Oak. This is where I first played the game and probably most of everyone else in this area. We meet casual players on the courses all the time that are good enough to play competively, but they never show up. I know my mentor who started me out won't play tourney and he can beat me on my best day. (Yes all you wi$ea$$es, I know its a BIG CLUB). To make it worth your while anyone bringing a newbie, and the newbie will compete for a CTP.

_G

Grog
Oct 31 2008, 12:44 AM
Since the ghosts and goblins are satisfied, we will be playing doubles Saturday! 1:30 at Live Oak, meet at hole 28, we will be playing the front 18. Perfect for bringing the newbies!!

JerryChesterson
Oct 31 2008, 10:10 AM
Since the ghosts and goblins are satisfied, we will be playing doubles Saturday! 1:30 at Live Oak, meet at hole 28, we will be playing the front 18. Perfect for bringing the newbies!!

One more reason to attend one of this weekends SADC events (http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=884771&page=0&vc=#Post88 4771)

Grog
Nov 09 2008, 07:25 AM
All scores from Saturday have been posted to the SADC (http://www.sanantoniodiscclub.com) web site.

The 11/15/08 Doubles will be 2 rounds of 9 (1 round original and 1 round alternate) at Nani. Starting time will be at 2:00 PM. Please make sure you are looking at the 10/17/08 Revised schedule. The drawing for the Turkey Shoot will be conducted after the 2nd round. You do not need to be present to win! But you might as well come out and play anyway :cool:!

Please be aware (not B.Ware, though he is welcome to play any mini) there will be some changes to the 12/13 mini at Live Oak. Date,time, and location will remain the same but we will be adding something special for the Holidays. I'll be posting the info in the next few days.

We will also be playing the normal doubles after the SADC meeting on 12/06 at McClain.

Thanks!
-G

Grog
Nov 13 2008, 10:10 PM
Just a reminder that we will be playing doubles at Nani this Saturday. Tee off at 2:00. We will draw the five names for the Turkey Shoot at the end of the mini.

Saturday is your last chance to shoot the bird!

-G

opereida
Nov 13 2008, 10:48 PM
I get off of work at 1:30 PM. I can be there just before 2:00 PM. Can you hold a spot for me? ;) Draw a card for me. ;)

Grog
Nov 14 2008, 07:08 AM
I've started 'em later for lesser reasons. We'll wait for ya!

Grog
Nov 24 2008, 01:53 AM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/grog_photo/giftbagger.gif

In conjunction with Crosspoint Church, our Dec.13 Doubles Mini will be a charity event. The entry fee is an unwrapped gift for either a middle school boy or girl. We will random draw for teams, teams will consist of an experienced player and a "newbie".

Door prizes will be given, the winners will be the kids!

Contact me or Brandon Tull [email protected] for more info.

Grog
Nov 28 2008, 10:55 PM
My apologies on short notice! Due to a family/holiday matter I need to move the doubles from Pearsall to McClain tomorrow 11/29/08.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

G

Don't forget to register for your holiday ham at both minis. :D

JHouston
Jan 06 2009, 10:23 PM
Thursday Live Oak Park hole 28 $10 a team VS Scott and Jayson. any teams interested start at 4:00

opereida
Jan 07 2009, 01:34 AM
Can I play Cali? :D

JHouston
Jan 07 2009, 06:20 PM
No ghost partners :D

mdsammy
Jan 08 2009, 11:14 AM
Bird, I'll partner up with you if you're still playing.

wheresdave
Jan 08 2009, 11:28 AM
Thursday Live Oak Park hole 28 $10 a team VS Scott and Jayson. any teams interested start at 4:00

Me and Pete will take some of the action Jayson /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif :D

JerryChesterson
Jan 08 2009, 01:26 PM
FYI ... Jayson and I are getting there at 3:15 if anyone can make it that early.

mdsammy
Jan 10 2009, 07:56 PM
It makes it pretty difficult to plan ahead for SADC doubles when the schedule gets changed around at the last minute.

It may be just me, but I think that once a schedule gets published then it becomes a commitment. These are "organized" events right?

Grog
Jan 10 2009, 10:28 PM
When I made the suggestion Saturday morning everyone seemed to be in favor of McClain, no one said otherwise. Yet after I arrived back at Mc I heard several people had complained while I was gone, (interesting in itself), and I'm not pointing fingers at you, no names were mentioned and I don't want to know. Thank you for at least coming forward now, I wish you and the others had said something in the morning, or called me, several people there have my number, if you need it 210-449-3778.

As for my commitment, the doubles have only been changed twice. The first time involved my grandkids, sorry they come first. Today because numerous people were complaining of the wind.

Commitment? My fat [censored] has been their every Saturday but one, (again my grandkids) and sometimes twice; for morning and doubles. Myself and few other TD's are the ones that sit out so no one has to contend with Cali rules. I'm sure you identify with that you played Cali once.

Further commitment, several incentive and Christmas gift cards came out of my pocket not SADC. Why, because I wish to keep people interested in the games. Tee signs, I design and pay for out of my pocket. Ice Bowl Trophies? My pocket!

Let's see what else-- oh yeah, people who don't total out score cards then complain I cheated them, when I don't even add on the 2 strokes that I should.

And you know what? It's not just me, every TD contends with this sort of thing - Bird, Scott, Jerry, Jay etc. Maybe we all need to be committed in itself, but we keep on doing it for love of the game. Reap the benefits.

Paul Taylor
Jan 11 2009, 01:38 PM
It makes it pretty difficult to plan ahead for SADC doubles when the schedule gets changed around at the last minute.

It may be just me, but I think that once a schedule gets published then it becomes a commitment. These are "organized" events right?

When I made the suggestion Saturday morning everyone seemed to be in favor of McClain, no one said otherwise. Yet after I arrived back at Mc I heard several people had complained while I was gone, (interesting in itself), and I'm not pointing fingers at you, no names were mentioned and I don't want to know. Thank you for at least coming forward now, I wish you and the others had said something in the morning, or called me, several people there have my number, if you need it 210-449-3778.

As for my commitment, the doubles have only been changed twice. The first time involved my grandkids, sorry they come first. Today because numerous people were complaining of the wind.

Commitment? My fat [censored] has been their every Saturday but one, (again my grandkids) and sometimes twice; for morning and doubles. Myself and few other TD's are the ones that sit out so no one has to contend with Cali rules. I'm sure you identify with that you played Cali once.

Further commitment, several incentive and Christmas gift cards came out of my pocket not SADC. Why, because I wish to keep people interested in the games. Tee signs, I design and pay for out of my pocket. Ice Bowl Trophies? My pocket!

Let's see what else-- oh yeah, people who don't total out score cards then complain I cheated them, when I don't even add on the 2 strokes that I should.

And you know what? It's not just me, every TD contends with this sort of thing - Bird, Scott, Jerry, Jay etc. Maybe we all need to be committed in itself, but we keep on doing it for love of the game. Reap the benefits.

I wasn't there yesterday, but here is my two cents worth.

TxAgGolfer08, FIRST, were you there in the morning? if so, why didn't you say something then instead of b....hing here on the message board. This makes you sound as if you have other hidden agendas. The only players that it would have affected are ones that did not make the mini in the morning and ussually the doubles mini consist of players from the morning. SECOND, what did it matter to you where it was played if you had notice about the change? If it had been at LO or Universal City or NANI or Pearsall, you would have had to travel to one of those courses, as is, you just had to stay there. THIRD, as Greg said, being a TD for a mini is not glorious, I have lost just about as much money running the mini's at NANI and we have not had nearly as many at NANI as the other places, it comes out of OUR (TD) pockets. I think the breaking point for me was about 2 years ago when I broke my leg and we had a mini at NANI and only two players showed up, I was there and on crutches to do the mini, believe me, I had had surgery only 3 weeks earlier and it was painful, but I was still there. I did one more mini out at NANI, but was crapped on by others who did not follow the correct course layout and they thought I was being a hard a*s about it.

Believe me, being a TD is not gloroius, and then to have someone who has never done anything but reap the benefits of what we do, come on to the message board and RIP us to pieces, makes it not worth having your sorry little a*s out there.

DISConnected
Jan 11 2009, 02:45 PM
Being a TD is a chore and a thankless job. Any TD who is out there to run a mini has my support and respect. There always seems to be plenty of whiners who just want to complain, but never step up themselves. They should be ignored.

Now, I was not there either, so I do not know the particulars of what happened. But...here goes:

Micah is right. A published schedule should not be changed at the last minute. There will usually be someone that did not get the message about the change.

The only reason I can think of would be some sort of natural disaster that prevents the course from being playable. Being too windy does not qualify. If even one person drove all the way to Pearsall and there was no mini, that isn't right.

I realize that hindsight is 20/20. Greg made a decision in the heat of battle, and he was probably talked into it, but it was wrong to move the mini, in my opinion. I'm not posting this to rag on Greg, I'm posting this so that hopefully the same mistake is not made again.

Live and learn.

mdsammy
Jan 11 2009, 06:43 PM
I realize that running these events is often a thankless job and I would like to say that I appreciate these minis and your numerous contributions Greg. (I can't remember if I've ever said so before, but if not I probably should have).

It wasn't my intent to hurt peoples' feelings nor did I comment just because I needed something to whine about. (The gist of that post was "a schedule is a commitment" not "Greg, you've never done anything for this club"). Maybe this board wasn't the best place to bring this discussion up but I felt like it was an issue that needed to be addressed.

First off, I didn't hear the announcement at the players meeting before Saturday morning's mini. (I was putting by hole #1 and didn't hear the call to "bring-it-in"). Had I been there I would have said something then, but I only found out about the change from the other players in my card. I wanted to talk to Greg about it after the mini but he wasn't there and I didn't have his number.

There are a couple of reasons that I was upset about the schedule changes. The first and most important of which is that these events are on a published schedule and advance notice should be given of any changes. The morning-of doesn't really count because it isn't fair to those who only want to attend the afternoon event. If the TD can't make it to an event he should try to find a substitute first and if that is impossible then at least give a couple of days notice of the change so that the information can be disseminated.

My second, and secondary, issue was the fact that the two times that the schedule has been changed the tournament was scheduled to be played at Pearsall. (Paul, if you really want to read into things I suppose that this may be the hidden agenda you were alluding to... I live on that side of town and I really look forward to when the traveling doubles comes to Pearsall or Nani). It just seemed a little fishy to me that the only times that the minis have been moved were the weeks where there was a long drive to Pearsall involved. I would be happy to help out and run the minis at Pearsall and Nani if this is really an issue.

That's basically all.

Greg, I didn't intend my original message as a personal attack and I hope that you don't feel that way about this post. I do appreciate your feedback and others' because I feel like this is something that should be talked about.

I just want these events to be fun and successful.

JHouston
Jan 11 2009, 10:26 PM
Well said Micha! :cool:

Grog
Jan 11 2009, 11:12 PM
I realize that running these events is often a thankless job and I would like to say that I appreciate these minis and your numerous contributions Greg. (I can't remember if I've ever said so before, but if not I probably should have).

<font color="red">I don't do the minis for the thanks, I knew going in that would be few and far between. I do it to share in the camaderie. when the appreciation is shown, believe me it is always welcomed, and I'm sure I speak for any and everyone who has done his stint as TD. </font>

It wasn't my intent to hurt peoples' feelings nor did I comment just because I needed something to whine about. (The gist of that post was "a schedule is a commitment" not "Greg, you've never done anything for this club"). Maybe this board wasn't the best place to bring this discussion up but I felt like it was an issue that needed to be addressed.

<font color="red"> You are absolutely correct, I should not have taken offense. In an effort to keep the majority (at the time) happy I failed to see those who are slighted such as yourself who would like the tournament closer to their home. </font>

First off, I didn't hear the announcement at the players meeting before Saturday morning's mini. (I was putting by hole #1 and didn't hear the call to "bring-it-in"). Had I been there I would have said something then, but I only found out about the change from the other players in my card. I wanted to talk to Greg about it after the mini but he wasn't there and I didn't have his number.

<font color="red">If you didn't get it before 210-449-3778, and believe me as gruff and ruff as some people see me, I am a pretty reasonable person. </font>

There are a couple of reasons that I was upset about the schedule changes. The first and most important of which is that these events are on a published schedule and advance notice should be given of any changes. The morning-of doesn't really count because it isn't fair to those who only want to attend the afternoon event. If the TD can't make it to an event he should try to find a substitute first and if that is impossible then at least give a couple of days notice of the change so that the information can be disseminated.

<font color="red">I wish finding a sub was so easy. It took me over a week to find someone to cover the last Nani mini so I could spend a belated Christmas with my grandkids. Granted it was the holidays and other people had plans as well, due to variables (lives out of town,new job, d*ckhead of an exhusband, boyfriend's holiday work schedule) with my daughter we were basically flying by the seat of our pants. Billy came forward and really saved our holiday Saturday, I'm in his debt, but know he'll never call it in. However if your willing to volunteer I'll definitely add you to my list of hopefuls. In a sick way I enjoy the tourneys, but believe me sometimes you need a break. </font>

My second, and secondary, issue was the fact that the two times that the schedule has been changed the tournament was scheduled to be played at Pearsall. (Paul, if you really want to read into things I suppose that this may be the hidden agenda you were alluding to... I live on that side of town and I really look forward to when the traveling doubles comes to Pearsall or Nani). It just seemed a little fishy to me that the only times that the minis have been moved were the weeks where there was a long drive to Pearsall involved. I would be happy to help out and run the minis at Pearsall and Nani if this is really an issue.

<font color="red">I may not quote this correctly, but the line from Star Trek 3 went something like "Sometimes the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many." Again I apologize if you feel slighted it wasn't on purpose. I extend that apology to others who have felt slighted as well. Bri is right the wind isn't a major catastrophe, but again I have considered just doing the doubles at McClain and not using the other parks. Main reason being we have a higher turnout since most people just grab a quick bite and return for doubles. However with your input you have given me cause to reconsider. </font>

That's basically all.

Greg, I didn't intend my original message as a personal attack and I hope that you don't feel that way about this post. I do appreciate your feedback and others' because I feel like this is something that should be talked about.

<font color="red">The term "personal attack" may be a bit much. If you had threatened to kick my [censored] or something, then maybe. :D

I hope you don't take Paul or Brian as a personal attack either. I consider both as friends and as you can tell from Brian's remarks we sometimes disagree, and sometimes we agree, but I believe all four of us are reasonable people. I've only been acting as a TD for just under a year, Ice Bowl will be a year matter of fact, and I was only a Co-TD and didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing. It's a learning thing. </font>

I just want these events to be fun and successful.

<font color="red">I agree 100%, now if we can agree to disagree I thing we're OK. I would like to see Nani and Pearsall used more myself. If you have ideas as to how to do that you have my support. The main arguement involving Nani that I always hear is the size and openness (is that a word?). I play all holes as a 3 regardless of what the sign says anyway. Thats a little rough when your top throw is only about 275 feet. Rick Perez has been elected (I assume) as the pro for Pearsall. If you don't know him he's really a great guy and fairly decent golfer, but is also a new father or is it re-new father since this is his second child. If you need some contact info I can get that for you. You might even consider running for Nani or Pearsall pro (or any other office you chose) for next year.

Essentially your input is important and necessary, lets not wait until it's starting to p-ss you off. </font>

[/QUOTE]

mdsammy
Jan 12 2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks, Greg.

Don't let the traveling doubles go away. I've always thought that they're a great idea. It's fun to play on different courses and besides SADC events shouldn't be limited to McClain.

Feel free to call on me if you need a sub. Just PM me to get my number.

Grog
Jan 12 2009, 11:30 AM
The traveling doubles only disappear during the summer months. Playing in the midday summer heat isn't fun and can be dangerous if people aren't rehydrating correctly.

We have SA in SADC for a reason, otherwise we would be BMDC, and i love McClain otherwise I wouldn't be working my butt off try to cut strokes.

Posting of SADC flyers around Nani and Pearsall would help. I'm hoping for some local news coverage for the Ice Bowl (I've sent enough e-mails) that should help a lot!

Nani unfortunately doesnt have any place to post flyers that I've noticed. Most of the walkers out there would probably take down random flyers and throw them away so they wouldnt litter the park. That is the plus side of Nani, the area residents like to keep that park clean, probably because of O P Schnabel and his anti litter campaigns when I was a kid.

JerryChesterson
Jan 12 2009, 12:43 PM
Nani unfortunately doesnt have any place to post flyers that I've noticed.

There is a kiosk there at the front. I work over there if you need anything posted and with Corey as the new coruse pro I'm sure he's up for posting any materials. :D

Grog
Jan 12 2009, 03:34 PM
Nani unfortunately doesnt have any place to post flyers that I've noticed.

There is a kiosk there at the front. I work over there if you need anything posted and with Corey as the new coruse pro I'm sure he's up for posting any materials. :D

Do you think we can get the kiosk moved to Hole 5? :D

Corey, what would you like in way of flyers?

CGPRush
Jan 13 2009, 03:16 AM
What do we have already?

A flyer for the doubles you run would be good. If we had a flyer with all the known upcoming events that would be good, as well.

I saw a SAPAR guy out at Nani today walking the other side of the course from where I was. He was pausing at the tee signs and then walking to the baskets. I was going to ask what he was doing when I got to that part of the course but he split before that happened.
Maybe we're getting replacement tee signs? That would be nice. I was thinking of making paper tee signs to tape onto the tee posts so at least some info would be on the holes. That would be cheap and easy to replace once they get vandalized. :mad:

Let me know about the flyers and I'll pick some up and post them at the 1st and 5th tee boxes and up at the parking lot.

Grog
Jan 13 2009, 07:36 AM
Right now all we have is Doubles, Sat Morning mini (which probably needs to update), and Ice Bowl. We probably need something to push for new members, always a good idea anyway. The last I heard involving TACO and The Bud Open are some date changes. I'm assuming Scott is working on those with Mike Smith and Gary Duke. As soon as those dates are concrete Scott will post those. If we post those too soon they will become part of the scenery and people will probaly start to ignore it. The old "Was that last week? I saw something about that. Now where did I see it?" Syndrome :D.

Let me rework the four I have so that I have them two up, that way they'll take up less room when attached to a post. I'll get a 10mil UV laminate on them so they'll hold up better. The worst case scenario would be to have them ready for this weekends minis. I'll be somewhat out of touch Friday, my wife will be going in for the final series of injections on her back :p.

I haven't heard from Rick lately. He's probably out teaching Bane to putt already. :DMicah has volunteered to post signs or whatever needs to be done as well. If I don't catch up to you by this weekend I'll get them to Micah, he misses very few Sat. mornings.

Grog
Jan 13 2009, 07:39 AM
OOOPS!

I forgot the Glow Minis. That means 3 signs to attach to the posts.

Grog
Jan 13 2009, 08:20 AM
Everyone Please note!

The 1/24/09 doubles and 2/07/09 doubles are cancelled. Please use whatever funds you were allowing for these minis and support the LODGA and SADC Ice Bowls on their respective weekends :D

Grog
Jan 20 2009, 09:01 PM
Just a reminder. We will not have doubles this Saturday afternoon. Spend Saturday afternoon with the family, then git out and support the LODGA Ice Bowl on Sunday! :D

Grog
Mar 11 2009, 01:12 PM
AHHH! Spring! ...and a young golfers thoughts turn to A, B, &amp; C Tier events!

It looks like the train has come in early and we will be ending the Traveling Doubles minis. There are 2 large events this weekend and next so we will not be holding the doubles minis. Our next Random Draw Doubles will be March 28 and will be held at McClain, this will also be our final RDD mini until the fall. We will start at 2:00 rather than the normal 1:30 to give interested parties more time to rest and travel.
If no Ace is hit there will be a CTP for the prize.

Thanks to everyone who supported us. Good luck to everyone playing in the Am Doubles Championship and Red Rock! See you on the 28th.

PS! If someone wants to set up a pit or something we can always to a Spring Fling for the day!

JerryChesterson
Mar 11 2009, 02:33 PM
AHHH! Spring! ...and a young golfers thoughts turn to A, B, &amp; C Tier events!

It looks like the train has come in early and we will be ending the Traveling Doubles minis. There are 2 large events this weekend and next so we will not be holding the doubles minis. Our next Random Draw Doubles will be March 28 and will be held at McClain, this will also be our final RDD mini until the fall. We will start at 2:00 rather than the normal 1:30 to give interested parties more time to rest and travel.
If no Ace is hit there will be a CTP for the prize.

Thanks to everyone who supported us. Good luck to everyone playing in the Am Doubles Championship and Red Rock! See you on the 28th.

PS! If someone wants to set up a pit or something we can always to a Spring Fling for the day!

What is the ace pot at?

Grog
Mar 11 2009, 04:38 PM
74.00 plus whatever is received on 3/28.

Grog
Mar 25 2009, 09:59 PM
Just a reminder! This Saturday, 2:00 PM, McClain Park. The last Random draw doubles. The Ace Pot will be going home with somebody!