ChrisWoj
Sep 04 2008, 01:58 PM
So, here's the idea for the thread: give us all a description of the greatest shot you've ever taken. Honestly I can't think of mine right now, but I'll be back to post on it later.

jmc2442
Sep 04 2008, 02:29 PM
well Woj, since you asked, I've actually made this shot twice now... yeah, yeah, how great could it be if you've done it twice?!? Well, I dont know anyone else that has eagled the hole so I'm saying that its pretty good!

here is the setup....

the hole is #18 @ Deer Lakes Park in Russellton, PA.
here is a rough pic of the hole itself....

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/125/e726d107.jpg

It's a ~550 foot par 4 from the whites (925ish rated).
The drive is a wide open bomber with the road along the left side being OB.
The approach shot is through mature trees that have a low ceiling to the basket (you can kinda see daylight through them on the left top edge of the pic above).
Keeping the approach shot close is tough as the green slopes away and towards the road from all angles and if you throw too high the trees will knock you down very short and above the pin.
Using a double-stamp Pyramids CFR Whippet I've intentionally skip eagled the hole twice.
First time from about 125 out.
The second time, with my group watching, I was about 150-160 out.

The second time was my greastest shot because the skip hit right where I wanted it to and with the speed I felt it needed to be close. Dead straight in, and with that eagle, I threw my best score ever during a tourney at Deer Lakes of 62 (-4).

This shot also taught me the most valuable lesson of all... no matter WHAT happens before a round always pony up the dollar for ace/eagle pot. OUCH! at least $158 would have gone home with me. I'll never live that down. I'll also never forget that Sid Olcott gave me a dollar afterwards, said next time get in the pot, and laughed. Friends. What would you do without their constant ball-breaking?!? :)

OSTERTIP
Sep 04 2008, 03:08 PM
It's funny I can remember every bad shot I had in a tourney but not too many great ones. But one shot I do remember is hole 16 at Red Hawk (same course as The Players Cup).
Hole 16 is a 700 feet+- par 4. I threw a good first shot (300 feet +-) across the water and in the middle of the fairway (its a blind shot that you must turn sharply to the left), I had roughly 400 feet to the pin open most of the way until the last 150 feet. Then you must be low enough to get under the low branches of the trees guarding the pin. I threw a laser at the tree on the right side of the gap, it was straight for about 350 feet, then faded to the left skipped up once and was about 20 feet short of the pin for an easy birdie!
Best thing is I did exactly what Josh did, I birdied it both rounds of the tourney, best finish I ever had in a tourney too.

By the way thanks Mike Barnett for taking the time to create such a beautiful course, and all the others hours you donate to the sport! Oh, don't forget Brandi the nuts and bolts of Sun King!

Oh, I have to mention the best putt I ever made. Hole 17 Wickham Park, Melbourne, FL, I threw a great tee shot straight as an arrow for 400 feet. I landed pin high about 40 feet to the left of the pin. I had 5 foot tall palmettos with the 36 inch pine tree in the center of the palmettos. I had a choose a route right or left of the tree, either was tricky. I opted for a push putt, rolling the disc in a backwards motion off my index finger. Sank the putt, and the best part was three of my closest friends were on the previous hole waiting to tee and witnessed the entire thing!

Pennekamp
Sep 04 2008, 03:57 PM
One of my best shots was on hole 10 at Blackhawk here in Tulsa. Hole 10 is a 440ish ft shot (not quite positive on the distance) ....about 360 to clear the water. The basket is tucked away through a small gap in the trees. Most folks lay up on this hole...which leaves a tricky upshot from about 180 just to see the basket. I went for the high risk shot, over the water and through the gap. I pured the drive/gap and I was looking at about 65-70 ft to the hole for the birdie...Twoputt walked over and calmly said, "You're looking at a 2, knock it down". Easier said than done, because the basket is fairly protected by low hanging limbs.
The putt was on a rope....Bang!! The 2nd recorded deuce on the hole. To this day there has only been a handful of 2's on this hole. Thats one I'm very proud of.

perica
Sep 04 2008, 05:18 PM
At the 2006 WVO on hole 1, the pin was in the right position. Its listed at 494. The hole is downhill with a pond to go across starting at 350. The rain from the remnants of hurricane ernesto were coming down and I chose to throw a standstill forehand with a DX firebird. For some reason, my forehands this weekend travelled much, much longer than usual. I let it go, watched it turn over and do an s-turn over the pond and land about 50 short of the pin, completely unobstructed. Mid-flight, I heard one of the people in the barn next to the tee say "Holy Sh*t" as the disc soared over and landed completely unobstructed. I didn't make the putt, but really got a kick out of this fabulous shot.
here's a pic from the tee, the pin is where the right yellow circle is.
http://www.westvirginiaopen.com/WOOD/shedhole1_2B.JPG

stevemaerz
Sep 04 2008, 05:57 PM
I've had a number of aces over the years some in tournaments and some others in practice rounds. I'd like to share one of them that was rather special.

A few years ago I found myself on the lead card in Open at the Llamapalooza tourney in Pinchot, PA. One of my co-competitors, Mark Spang was on a tear birdieing 4 out of 6 holes opening up a 3 stroke lead over me with 8 holes to play.

We stepped up to hole 11 at Boulder Woods which has the highest scoring average on the course. It has a narrow heavily wooded fairway up a steep hill carries over a ridge to a very fast blind green. Off the fairway left or right is total jailtime. Mark hit a tree halfway up and kicked hard left into the jail on the left. My drive miraculously flew unscathed up the hill, turned over and disappeared over the ridge.

After the others in the group teed we started our walk up the hill. Then we heard some yelling from other groups coming from the other side of the hill.

I heard one of the players in my group say "that was an ace!" I said "what was an ace, you mean the group behind us aced the previous hole?" I have a hearing loss and didn't hear him too well when he tried to clarify but I did hear "....... aced this hole!" I said "someone aced this hole!?" in disbelief figuring this hole is pretty much unaceable. Then he says "you just aced this hole!" I ran up still in disbelief, looked over the ridge and sure enough there's my blue valkyrie resting in the basket.

Mark proceeded to 6 the hole. My 1 made it a 5 stroke swing to go from 3 strokes behind to 2 strokes ahead and won the tournament and collected on the acepot because of that one throw.

This hole gets added to my list of holes that I've aced but still haven't deuced.

Chris Hysell
Sep 04 2008, 07:56 PM
I've had many tournament shots that I would call great shots. I guess a great shot is the park job on the last hole that wins the tournament or the long putt in a playoff to secure the win. I've had course record breaking rounds where I can still remember almost every hole. I remember a round where I made every 40,50,& 60 ft putt to frustrate J. Gary at Knob Hill in match play.

If I were to think of a shot as a "greatest shot" I imagine it would one of the times that I needed to ace and did it. It's happened several times but the most memorable was probably at the 2005 Blue Ridge Open. Before the round started I was goofing around on hole two and which was a righty hyzer shot with woods on the left. I threw a forehand left at the woods and skip aced the hole around the trees guarding the basket. The round started and I was in a group starting on hole 3 with the td, Don Wetzel. We were playing the short tees and as we got back around to hole 2 Don said I needed to ace the hole. We were about to play the long round and he didn't want to have to come up with a way to pay out the ace pot. The wind was now blowing from the right and I knew the sidearm wouldn't work so I threw a backhand spike hyzer out over the ballfield to the right and it blew all the way back and went right in the basket as requested. I got the ace pot, I won my division, I think I even won the basket that year in the ctp. The best part was the phone call I got from one of my female admirers on my ride home.

This website doesn't have enough bandwidth for my stories.

bschweberger
Sep 05 2008, 12:22 AM
funny stuff Hysell....you retired yeTT?

Chris Hysell
Sep 05 2008, 08:30 AM
I keep trying to retire but they keep bringing me back.

I played in a bring your own partner doubles this year and I decided to play Open with an intermediate player. After a few holes I started giving him a hard time about how bad he was playing. I told him to throw it in the fairway so I could go for the ace. My opponents said "f*** him, go for the ace". I stepped up to the tee and aced the hole. They hated me because we had a long standing deal where we pay each other $5 for aces. Well maybe that's not the only reason.

circle_2
Sep 05 2008, 10:41 AM
Not sure if it's my greatest, but it surely was memorable...

Playing league @ Rosedale in KCK, hole #9, I shanked my drive leaving me ~180' out to a blind basket completely blocked by leafy branches. I threw a beat Roc right into the mass of leaves & heard solid chains. Thinking I'm looking at a sure 3 on the hole with an easy drop-in putt - I find my disc perfectly parallel to the ground - suspended between the pole and chains for a deuce. How that disc came to rest like that from 180' out ~ I'll never know.

my_hero
Sep 05 2008, 12:47 PM
I can't pinpoint 1 great shot and call it my greatest. I can pinpoint one of my greatest shots that went terribly wrong.

1997 advanced VPO, Old Championship #17 (par 5), our last hole of the tournament. Mike Grider and i are tied for the lead and Nolan Grider is 2 back. All 3 of us throw our drive and land in the fairway. Mike and Nolan both throw good 2nd rollers and they both have 80'-100' to go for easy up and down 4's.

I also throw a roller for my 2nd shot. It is looking spectacular.....could end up in the putting circle or even parked if it misses THAT ONE tree.....Nope!, the disc hits it squarely! Our group advances to the tree that my ROLLER struck and much to our surprise, only 1/2 of a disc lay there! What?!!?! We start looking for the other piece(s) but can't find them. A few members of the gallery start to help look then one of them says, "Uh-Oh" and points WAY UP IN THE TREE. We all look up only to see the other half of my disc 15 feet UP IN THE TREE! We mark it's lie, throw rocks until it falls down, then we start to compare which half was bigger. It was soooooooooo close that we had to call the TD Skip Maxwell over to make the call. I know he didn't want to make the call but he had to; the larger half was the half that was OB!

Mike Grider gets a 4, Nolan gets a 4, and i take a circle 5! Mike finishes 1st, Hero 2nd, and Nolan 3rd. A Grider sandwich!

I still have the 2 halves of the baby blue 176g Cyclone (Heart of Texas hot stamp)

futurecollisions
Sep 08 2008, 06:25 PM
putter ace

crusher
Sep 16 2008, 08:41 AM
Mid 90's at the Euless Open, a temp course in an awesome park.

Coming into hole 17, my partner Tim Jendel and I are tied with Sam Grizzafi and his partner (I'm gettin old and can't remember).

Sam and his partner throw and are parked for duece. So Tim walks up and parks it as well.

So I tell Tim that I guess "I'll just have to ace it". And Tim replies "I'll accept nothing less". So needless to say I walked up and crashed it dead center for the ace, and we ended up winning by one stroke.

Best of all, I hit the ace on the temp basket owned by Sam Grizzafi whom we beat by one stroke.

Ironicaly, on hole 16 that same round, Sam had a put for duece to give him a 1 stroke lead. Well his disc spit out of the basket that just so happened to be owned by me!

dcmarcus
Sep 16 2008, 10:30 AM
The title of this thread is an impossible question - but two of my most memorable were at the same tournament...

I was fortunate enough to make the finals at Laurel Springs, the last year in '94, I think it was the top 4 cards. Hole one was 525 downhill across the driveway. Threw that weekend's workhorse Roc and ppparked it about 4 feet in front of God and everybody. 150 people was a huge gallery back then. The 10 hole final ended with a solid 50 footer uphill in front of that same gallery (anything outside of 30 was a miracle for me back then!).

That putt (and I suppose the drive too) earned me 10th place and the last of the highly coveted LSO silver platter trophies, which I still see every day when I first wake up...

Chris Hysell
Sep 16 2008, 11:32 AM
you're old dude

tyson99duke
Sep 16 2008, 12:12 PM
I hit a 435' (??? - Estimated) Ace this past Saturday.

I flew a perfect S curve with a beat Star Tee Rex and bam! Splashed in the chains, most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It is the new 17 pin placement at Cedarock in Burlington and was from the long pads.

Priceless.

drmontei
Sep 16 2008, 04:21 PM
2008 Dogwood Crosstown Classic Pro
Hole 6 at Buckhorn par 4, threw in second shot about 225? uphill to get the $50 eagle bounty.

veganray
Sep 16 2008, 04:54 PM
When I was 10, my brother (who was 6) & I were playing soldiers. We only had one toy gun, so I was the prey. I had taken cover behind a huge fig tree in out front yard & spied him sneaking behind a walnut in the back yard, about 130 feet away & completely protected from my position. I decided to strafe a bit with rocks to smoke him out & grabbed a few nice golf ball-sized ones. First throw was lobbed just to the right side of his cover tree and, just as it arrived (after flying for at least a couple of seconds), he barely (less than a foot) poked his gun & head out to see if the coast was clear. BAM! Dead-center hit on the gun, shattering it into a million shards of plastic. I sounded the war cry & moved in for the kill, feeling as proud as I ever have.

Definitely my best throw evah! We still talk about it to this day, almost 30 years later.

jmc2442
Sep 16 2008, 04:59 PM
^^^ thats friggin' awesome!!!

Chris Hysell
Sep 16 2008, 06:35 PM
I can't pinpoint 1 great shot and call it my greatest. I can pinpoint one of my greatest shots that went terribly wrong.

1997 advanced VPO, Old Championship #17 (par 5), our last hole of the tournament. Mike Grider and i are tied for the lead and Nolan Grider is 2 back. All 3 of us throw our drive and land in the fairway. Mike and Nolan both throw good 2nd rollers and they both have 80'-100' to go for easy up and down 4's.

I also throw a roller for my 2nd shot. It is looking spectacular.....could end up in the putting circle or even parked if it misses THAT ONE tree.....Nope!, the disc hits it squarely! Our group advances to the tree that my ROLLER struck and much to our surprise, only 1/2 of a disc lay there! What?!!?! We start looking for the other piece(s) but can't find them. A few members of the gallery start to help look then one of them says, "Uh-Oh" and points WAY UP IN THE TREE. We all look up only to see the other half of my disc 15 feet UP IN THE TREE! We mark it's lie, throw rocks until it falls down, then we start to compare which half was bigger. It was soooooooooo close that we had to call the TD Skip Maxwell over to make the call. I know he didn't want to make the call but he had to; the larger half was the half that was OB!

Mike Grider gets a 4, Nolan gets a 4, and i take a circle 5! Mike finishes 1st, Hero 2nd, and Nolan 3rd. A Grider sandwich!

I still have the 2 halves of the baby blue 176g Cyclone (Heart of Texas hot stamp)

Did it have air bubbles in the rim?

ChrisWoj
Sep 17 2008, 12:22 AM
I'm a newb Open player so I haven't had many greatest shots. My favorites, though, are always big ones. Especially big putts. I've made a few to win things... In March 06 I made one to win a point series (though all it got me was 3rd in the event) in front of the guy I needed to pass. Last year I made one to win a small B-Tier in Advanced. This year I made a 50 footer uphill to pull off 3rd alone at AmNationals (though I wouldn't know it for another hour).

But the best one has to be this year's Kingston Open at the Great Blue Heron DGC in Norwalk, Ohio. I had the lead after each round. One stroke over Barsby after 1 round, one stroke over Horne after 2 rounds, and after a furious comeback 1 stroke over Horne again after 3 rounds. Unfortunately after the final 9 that lead was gone. Not only was it gone but two guys had caught me. Barsby, Horne, and myself all in a playoff for the $540 first place prize. Horne, throwing second, showed off his cannon on each of the first two holes and was the only guy on the card with a chance to birdie either of them, luckily both times he had unfortunate trees in his way and was still 45 out. So we moved onto the 3rd hole. During the final 9 I had bogeyed it, after birding it all 3 rounds of regulation.

380+ hole teeing off over a hill directly in front of the teepad, going about 340ish through the open air before having to crash a green that was in the woods to the left. Leave it short and you're in the woods with no putt. Crash directly in pin-high and you're caught by some nasty berry trees. The best option is to crash it deep, where its likely to sneak through the full grown pines that surround the basket and are deep of it.

Barsby and Horne had been playing it wrong all weekend, attempting to throw as high as possible and crash in superhigh at pinhigh. This round wasn't much different, but they tried going a little lower. Both of them looked like they might be parked, unless they caught the berry trees (which leaves you either in jail needing to lay up or on the path with a low ceiling 40+ footer). I threw mine perfect, about at height with the tops of the berry trees but fading deep of them. Unless it caught one of the pines it was going to be parked.

Walking up the fairway none of us knew what to expect. Getting up there it was the best case scenario for me. Barsby in jail, Horne with the 40+ footer. Barsby went first and found some gap I still couldn't find even after he took the shot and hit chains, but couldn't quite get all of the basket. Horne shot next and hit left side chains, fell out. Mine wasn't quite parked, but 25 feet and wide open. Stepped up and with a song in my head "What is loooove... baby don't hurt me... no more..." (yes, for some reason we were talking about that song coming up the fairway) I crashed the putt. Best feeling of my disc golf life.

It was a fantastic weekend, camped out with the locals so they adopted me as their champion... my friends were all around for it... No local had won a sanctioned event run by our local club in something like three years... And I'd only just started playing Open at the end of June, first cash had been barely a month before. Beating guys like Horne and Barsby was something I couldn't have imagined just months before that.

So yep, thats my greatest shot, that 25 foot putt. Greatest shot so far.

gang4010
Sep 17 2008, 10:52 AM
Having been playing tournaments for 25 years, I've had a few memorable shots :)

One particularly memorable one was at Winthrop at USDGC in maybe '02? Hole 5 1054' requires two good drives and a precise over the water shot to card a birdie 4. well, I threw roller off the tee and found the drink. Second shot was perfect - up along the bank - and then I drained it from across the water (about 375') for a circle 4. Yeah, that was pretty fun :)

One other was at the Patapsco Picnic Supertour in either 02 or 03. Climo showed up, and coming down to the second to last hole I had a 3 stroke lead on Kenny, and 2 on Joey Mela. well hole 17 can be a bear as it has a very steep slope working right to left across the fairway. I bogey, KC birdies, Joey pars, so going into the last hole I was one up on each of them. Step up to hole 18 (maybe 360-380ish) Joey parks it - under the basket, Kenny's left about 25-30' (well within range), and I pulled mine about 45' right and uphill of the bucket. I'm walkin to my shot thinkin (I don't wanna play off I don't wanna play off), stepped up and canned it woohoo!! And the gallery roared :) Mose came up to me after the round and said his group heard the yell and someone turned to him and said you think that was an ace? And he said - that was someone winning! A memorable putt for sure.

dthrow
Sep 17 2008, 11:21 AM
i have 2 that stick out, the first was a left handed ace i threw at the Lake Monster classic years ago. I am a right handed player. SHort left to right hole. It wasnt the best looking shot but it went in. THe second was at the WI tour finals years ago. It was a skins match out at Elver park. Hole #16. Barry Shultz was parked for a 2 and i was way back in the woods(about 120Ft), i pulled out my money green magnet and drilled it through a very small hole in the trees and it went right in for a 2. I didn't win any skins but did push the hole. I think i will remember that shot forever.

pgcarlos
Sep 17 2008, 04:16 PM
A couple years back I was at Schenley park in Pitts PA. I approached a group on hole 1 an asked to join the group. They said, Sorry NO. Then I asked to play thru. So on tee pad 2(the longest hole on the course) Over 400 feet, I bombed one that skipped right up to the pin. The look on their faces made that my greatest shot ever. See Ya

RustyP
Sep 17 2008, 04:41 PM
I haven't had a lot of shots I'd call great, but I can tell you my girlfriend's best shot ever...

Earlier this year we were at Lorch Park in Cedar Hill, TX warming up for the Big Show at Cedar Hill. We were playing a casual / warm-up round on the Coyote course during the Friday evening doubles event. We walked up to Hole 1 where there was a fairly large group about to tee off. A rather large fellow in the group turned to us and asked if we wanted to play through...that large large gentleman was The Yeti himself! I had just forced my girlfriend to watch the 2007 MSDGC video the night before, so she instantly knew she was in the presence of a pro :D

The group before us had alredy thrown their drives, so we quickly stepped up and got going so we didn't hold them up. My girlfriend stepped up and threw one of her best drives to-date and got an enthusiatic "NICE!" from aforementioned Yeti. We walked to her lie, she picked up her favorite Roc, and dropped it under the pin...and got another round of somewhat surprised-sounding "NICE"s.

As soon as we walked off to Hole 2, she turned with a giant grin and said "I can't believe a Pro just complimented me!". She was on fire the rest of the round :D

jmc2442
Sep 17 2008, 04:42 PM
really PGCarlos?!? HAD TO BE SOME COLLEGE CASUALS out there at Schenley. sorry for your Pittsburgh experience. If you are ever back call the course contacts listed @ pfds.org. They'll hook you up with someone nice, inviting, and full of Yinzer pride to play a round with.

and btw, that is a killer shot. its open, but its loooooonng.

my_hero
Sep 17 2008, 04:55 PM

Did it have air bubbles in the rim?

I'm going to have to check. It very well may.

my_hero
Sep 17 2008, 04:56 PM
you're old dude

Pot, meet kettle. LOL. I still love you though. :D

kUrTp
Sep 18 2008, 05:06 PM
This wasn't my shot but I was on the card and played a roll in it.

A couple months ago at Shoot the Breeze DG Tourney in Ashtabula, OH I was on a card with Nick Simms. I believe he's from Cleveland area. We get to hole #9, approx. 275ft, and the first person throws. This backhand shot was a good one and almost skipped in. I said, "wouldn't that be cool to see a skip ace right now!" Nick, who's next on the tee says, "I'll see what I can do." Well he pulls out a driver, throws a forehand, and BANG, it's a skip ace. Needless to say, the group went nuts. I almost [censored] myself laughing so hard. I couldn't believe my eyes, especially since I basically called his shot.

It was pretty sweet...

pgcarlos
Sep 18 2008, 11:19 PM
My home course is open but very long, and the downhill helped out. It took me 4 rounds to parr that course.

Chris Hysell
Sep 19 2008, 08:34 AM
you're old dude

Pot, meet kettle. LOL. I still love you though. :D

I'm getting younger and you're catching me

I wish I had time for the shenanigans of this forum

dinoroger
Sep 19 2008, 02:16 PM
The shot for me wasnt even my best shot but a great shot for those in my group. Was practicing with a few friends that had never played before. I had a real long approach shot for a birdie around 200ft. Joking I said, "Well this is a really easy birdie from here." My shot hit the basket skimming out. Instead of being wowed by the shot I decided to take the joke a little futher and pretended to be mad that the shot did'nt go in. I said that was a horrible shot I can't believe I screwed up my release like that. Of course all my new to disc golf friends were astonished as they can barly get the disc going in the direction of the basket. I came clean a few holes later and they were so relieved. :cool:

poisonelf
Sep 22 2008, 05:17 PM
My best shot ever was this last week. I had just thrown into the center of a bunch of trees at Riney B park and landed in the creek OB. I proceeded to a spike hyzer in a 90 degree angle away from the basket being the only way to actually get back into the field to have a putt (it was a completely blind shot). The disc gets caught in the wind so i figure i'm way off the mark so i pick up my mini and jump back across the creek to my bag and all the sudden **CHING**. My friend was standing next to the basket about to putt out cause he thought i had no chance of hitting the shot and it literally made him jump..he was still kind of slack jawed when i came out of the tree line and continued to talk about it for the rest of the round :)

Sep 22 2008, 05:28 PM
<font color="blue"> [offensive material removed] </font>

jmonny
Sep 23 2008, 01:29 PM
best recent shot was a thumber fairway ace on Hole 10 at Castle Hayne park for a deuce during summer dubs. About 200 feet.

first pic shows about where I threw from. Basket is just visible middle just to right of split trees.
http://www.newhanoverdgc.com/images/hole-photos/hole10-c.jpg

second pic closeup of basket.
http://www.newhanoverdgc.com/images/hole-photos/hole10-d.jpg

I ran around in circles like Hale Irwin getting hi fives afterwards

JRauch
Sep 23 2008, 09:21 PM
I had a 100ft downhill jump putt skip in this weekend. Not my best shot ever but I was going for the it....

MTL21676
Sep 23 2008, 10:38 PM
best recent shot was a thumber

stopped reading here.
:D

jmonny
Sep 23 2008, 11:01 PM
best recent shot was a thumber

stopped reading here.
:D

Schweb....help....a little help...Schweb?... :)

atlscott
Sep 24 2008, 01:44 PM
Again not my shot but on my card. In my first PDGA tourney (Grapevine Classic last year) there was a downhill hole through the woods with a tight out of bounds area around the green with some bushes on the left. One of the guys on my card threw into those bushes and we couldn't find it. We had a hard time deciding who would tell him he had to take stroke and distance and he argued that he didn't have to retee. Anyway he decided to take a provisional and play both ways. He walked all the way back up that (steep) hill while the card on the tee waited. He got up there while we kept looking for it and watched as he proceeded to nail his 3rd shot for a pseudo-ace which made his provisional moot and left him (and us) with grins on our faces for the rest of the round. Oh and we found his disc in the bushes while he was walking back down the hill to join us.

ChrisWoj
Sep 24 2008, 02:00 PM
I had a 100ft downhill jump putt skip in this weekend. Not my best shot ever but I was going for the it....

Hole 11, Sycamore? I tried to do that but hit front of cage. Stupid bogey.

Sep 24 2008, 04:37 PM
<font color="blue"> [offensive material removed] </font>

Sorry to all of those i offended . I think it would have been a little more appropriate had i substituted your mother's " face " with something a little more subtle ...
like say..... her back.... My greatest shot that is ....

RustyP
Sep 24 2008, 06:32 PM
Thought about it...best shot I can think of isn't technically one shot, but a few in one event.

2008 CedarVille Open this past August was my first event playing in Open. Hole #10 on the Beaver Course at Lorch Park is a heavily wooded tunnel shot, maybe 330'. The first 250 or so feet are through a tunnel that's about 15' wide and 10-12' high, bordered by THICK woods, ever so slightly uphill. The tunnel then opens considerably on the left side and the pin is out of sight from the tee, probably 60-70' to the left of the tunnel line.

This hole always gave me trouble in practice rounds, and although I'd threaded the tunnel many times before, I could never get a high enough release or a large enough skip to leave me with a decent putt for 2. During the event, however, I managed to birdie this hole both rounds! Round 1, I put a Star Orc right up the gut, fading as it left the tunnel, landing next to the pin. Round 4, I threw the same Orc, hit a branch, landed about 70' out, and canned the jump putt.

Neither was the most awesome shot I've ever had, but the fact that I birdied a hole that I've never come close to TWICE in my first Open event made me feel like my game has really come a long way. Ended up cashing too :D

ninafofitre
Sep 25 2008, 01:04 AM
I have many that could fit here but I have 2 craziest shots that ended up being great shots.

1. Z-Boaz hole #4 down the hill. I throw my drive into the bushy tree on the left side of the fairway. I find my disc lodged right in the middle of the tree and have absolutely no line out. I look backwards, any way to get out of the middle of the tree. I look up and see a small hole out the very top of the tree, about a 5 inch gap of sunlight.

So I pull the backwards stance to the pin, and pulled a roller out of my [censored], over my the head backwards roller. I'm about 200' to the pin and it was a leaner on the pole for a drop in 3. I tried the over the head backwards roller once again at the Iowa Worlds and I missed a 30ft putt or that shot would be 2 for 2 in saves.

2. Columbia Misery or MO....playing the old course at Albert Oakland during the year it was an A-Tier. The wind was howling about 25-30 mph and we were on hole #2 I believe. It was the lead card and Cam was killing us all but George and I were battling for 2nd. I missed hole 1 so I got to watch everyone be the wind dummies on a tricky little flip hyzer shot.

After seeing everyone's disc get pushed way left by the wind I decided that I may as well use the wind instead of trying to fight it, so I turned around on the tee box and threw a gigantic hyzer the backwards, the wrong way off the tee across the street and over the houses on the other side of the road. Well the wind caught it and lifted the hyzer about a million feet in the air and carried it all the way back behind us back toward the hole. It landed within a foot of the pin :D I called it the scenic route, boomerang style.

johnbiscoe
Sep 25 2008, 12:12 PM
you're the man kevin! hilarious!

my_hero
Sep 25 2008, 01:58 PM
I have many that could fit here but I have 2 craziest shots that ended up being great shots.

1. Z-Boaz hole #4 down the hill. I throw my drive into the bushy tree on the left side of the fairway. I find my disc lodged right in the middle of the tree and have absolutely no line out. I look backwards, any way to get out of the middle of the tree. I look up and see a small hole out the very top of the tree, about a 5 inch gap of sunlight.

So I pull the backwards stance to the pin, and pulled a roller out of my [censored], over my the head backwards roller. I'm about 200' to the pin and it was a leaner on the pole for a drop in 3. I tried the over the head backwards roller once again at the Iowa Worlds and I missed a 30ft putt or that shot would be 2 for 2 in saves.

2. Columbia Misery or MO....playing the old course at Albert Oakland during the year it was an A-Tier. The wind was howling about 25-30 mph and we were on hole #2 I believe. It was the lead card and Cam was killing us all but George and I were battling for 2nd. I missed hole 1 so I got to watch everyone be the wind dummies on a tricky little flip hyzer shot.

After seeing everyone's disc get pushed way left by the wind I decided that I may as well use the wind instead of trying to fight it, so I turned around on the tee box and threw a gigantic hyzer the backwards, the wrong way off the tee across the street and over the houses on the other side of the road. Well the wind caught it and lifted the hyzer about a million feet in the air and carried it all the way back behind us back toward the hole. It landed within a foot of the pin :D I called it the scenic route, boomerang style.

Greatness. I remember a shot that you did in Waco of 03. The Beast #14...your drive smacked a very early tree and it shot off to the right, down the hill, and landed just off of the fairway from #16 :D. Then you throw this thumber from 16's lower level, through a tiny gap....all the way but just short of the ravine on #14. Still in the crap you throw this 80' anhyzer around the schule in front of your face.....across the ravine.....maybe, just maybe....CHING!!!! A 3!!!! Quite possibly your best two consecutive scrambling shots. :DI think that stroke pushed me back to 4th..... Ron, Cam, Kevey, Hero. Good times!

ninafofitre
Sep 25 2008, 06:37 PM
Then you throw this thumber from 16's lower level, through a tiny gap....all the way

I'm just a sucker for a tiny gap :D:o

tbender
Sep 25 2008, 07:00 PM
Nice. My best shot was playing those two holes the other way.

#16 on the Beast, Waco. The last TX10 event there. I decide to throw a FH roller. Why? Very good question. Anyway, it hits something and kicks itself through the tall crap and up the slope into #14's tunnel (just inside the opening). I get up there and lo and behold, there's an MPO card patiently waiting for me to play through. I'm worried (nursing a lead in MA1) and looking to pitch back to #16's fairway. At the last moment I spot a wide open gap right above #14's tee that matches up with the dogleg turn on #16. I figure, why not, and tell the guys at the teebox to stay awake. I pull out my trusty Champion Panther and throw a perfect LH annie down #14's tunnel and it breaks beautifully down #16's dogleg toward the basket. I got a standing ovation from the MPO guys and a WTF from my card. The disc landed about 40' short of the basket and I missed the putt (doink off the cage), but from there I cruised on to the win, holding the box for the last 9 holes.

johnbiscoe
Sep 26 2008, 02:09 PM
years ago john tripp (originator of the term mullet related to dg) and i were playing worst shot doubles at the grange. on the last hole we were stuck playing out of heavy schule, tripp throws his shot and it sticks in a cedar tree about 40 feet away about 15 feet up. (2 meter rule still in effect at that time)
there was no way i was going to actually make the shot from where we were so i decided to try to knock his disc out of the tree. tossed a little aviar anhyzer and flat out nailed it so we could take the bogey 4 instead of the double. of course, it was a misplay of the rules but we didn't figure that out until later.

Oct 03 2008, 02:50 PM
Ace in the dark @ z-boaz, with a putter, on hole 18 with my wife and 2 sons present . Got to be their hero for at least 15 minutes....

This one came close .. Mr Jims Carrolton Open 06. hole 5 i believe , short righty hyzer , in the sloppiest conditions I have every played . Anybody that remembers Porter will know how much of an angle that basket was at , leaned to the right . Put a Viper on a great line , skip , smash, $1,000 dollar ace pot in my pocket . As the disc came to rest ( verticle ) against the most shallow bucket in North America, a gust of wind blew and pushed the disc over the lip , for the shortest birdie putt ever ... To top it all off , Coda Hatiflied ( whom has just aced 2 holes prior ) was kind enough to issue the perfect " HA Ha " ( a la Nelson Muntz ) after witnessing my little fiasco.

THanks Coda!

discchucker
Oct 05 2008, 07:48 PM
I have had my fair share of good/great shots...but there is one time that sticks out in my mind. It was 2 years ago at the DSM Challenge. Hole 5 at Ewing is about 650 feet and it plays up hill the whole way. It was raining extremely hard and the round was straight up a kick between the legs(Because of weather). I had never 3'ed the this hole to date except for a doubles round. Well...to make a long story short...I had a drop in three which is extremely difficult to do when it is nice out, let alone a typhoon blowing through.

Bizzle
Nov 15 2008, 10:37 PM
I aced hole 18 on my local course Macgregor Park in Houston.

I'm a lefty...took my Star X-Calibur and threw it on a HARD hyz skip out maybe 12 feet to the left...Skipped up right at it, running at the cage.

We heard the sound of hitting the cage...no chains, but we knew it was in....it was late in the day, so walking up to it, we were not sure, but lo and behold it was in......All we can gather is that it went at the perfect angle to cut through the basket with minimal "taco" effect.

If I missed, I would have blazed by the cage DEEP!!!!!!!!!
Got paid out $20 in our local 51 club.

John Keith
Nov 18 2008, 02:24 AM
The greatest shot was my first birdie 5 years ago! I had been playing for 1 month. The local pros took me in and replaced my DX with a new CE Teebird. They critiqued my stance and grip. So i finished the round with these new found Disc Golf guys. Hole 17 Terrel Park Beaumont Tx. the longest hole on the course 400ft.mostly open, pin sits a little hyzer. My drive went about 230 feet straight, a little anny. so im sitting 170 feet out by a tree, i step around the tree and standing still hyzer a hard as i knew how.....ALL Chains... I birdied.. needless to say i now had new friends and was hooked for life....

playtowin
Nov 20 2008, 02:05 AM
Veterans Sunday mini, rainy 'n muddy, hole 4 long sleave (250ish?). The ace pot was capped at $750. Keith Machen, Dusty Basnett and Justin ? were on the card. We played 16 holes already when we got to hole #4. All three other players had thrown and when I got to the tee pad, I lined it up and almost threw but stopped, turned around and said "hey, we don't have a split!" I said "how about $33? Thinking if ya hit, you'll peal off a hundred off the top.

Well Dusty and Keith said "sure." Justin didn't want in! I turned around, threw a one finger blind pancake and BOOM! I just shrugged my shoulders at Justin and didn't know what to say. The next and last hole, #5 long, from the pavilion, I just didn't care so I hauled off a side arm and banged it off the pan! So close! The ace probably wasn't my "greatest shot" ever, especially if you consider an ace to be a "mistake," but if that's what ya wanna call it, it was my best mistake ever!

Blue X2 btw! :D

A close second was my last throw at Veterans Park before I moved to St. Louis. Hole #2, left/long sleave, last hole, last on the card BOOM, anhyzer with a Tee Bird for another $750! Sankya betty much!

my_hero
Nov 20 2008, 02:45 AM
A close second was my last throw at Veterans Park before I moved to St. Louis. Hole #2, left/long sleave, last hole, last on the card BOOM, anhyzer with a Tee Bird for another $750! Sankya betty much!

Greatness. I nabbed hole #2 for 1082 last summer. It was also our card's last hole of the mini. It was my best shot of the day.......(a double skip ace nonetheless) ..LOL.....like i meant to do that! :D

playtowin
Nov 20 2008, 12:17 PM
Ever since I heard of that one, my minds eye simply can't picture a double skip that get's that high off the second skip! Did it get some lift off of a rock or something? Maybe a little head wind? Almost as hard as it is to picture a disc splitting in half while the other half (the wrong half!) shoots up and stays in the tree's! ;)

I remember a story you told of a roller ace once. Would love to hear it again...

playtowin
Nov 20 2008, 12:20 PM
I nabbed hole #2 for 1082

What was the split?

jlm1120
Nov 23 2008, 09:59 PM
Hands Down...
Hole 9 at Zebulon is a 600 foot beast that goes slightly down hill and slightly to the left. I had unfortunately left myself on the left side of the fairway for my third shot with about 300 ft still left to travel. My first two shots were unspectacular to set up the third shot. I release a slight hyzer shot towards a pipe that runs the last 75 feet of the fairway before the basket. The pipe is about 3 feet in diameter. Blind to me, but visible to everyone in my group, the BEAST slides off the top of the pipe and flies 40 ft left to the basket and bangs chains and stays secure. Memorable, to say the least. The only greater shot I have made was the one that gave rise to my daughter, Lucy Paige Myers, born November 16, 2008. Insert rim shot here... :D (definitely no pun intended or even possible)

seeker
Dec 01 2008, 01:39 PM
My best shot ever was in Greensboro NC at Barber Park. One of the holes in the woods is carved out of a super dense thicket of trees with 1-3 inch trunks with a thick canopy about 20 feet up. The fairway was only about 25 feet wide. It required about a 250 ft annie/flick with about the shape of a (" . Anything in the woods and you basically just tried to get back to the fairway any way you could. I hit a tree about 20 feet in front of the box trying to cut the corner and it deflected 90 degrees off the fairway about 40 feet into the thicket on the right side.

A local player pronounced my drive DOA and offered his condolences.

I didn't even see how I could get back to the fairway but there was a laser-straight line to the basket 2 feet wide the entire 220 feet to the basket. I had a beat up classic ROC and I mentally prepared myself for more deflections and about a 6. I threw is waist high, rhbh, and it stayed EXACTLY in the center of the gap, never moved an inch offline, up or down and hit the chains dead center for a bird. High fives all around :D

my_hero
Dec 02 2008, 10:26 AM
I nabbed hole #2 for 1082

What was the split?

I had $250 out. As for the disc "double" skipping, the first time it hit the ground it was 75-80' away....did one of those super low to the ground, haulin' skips, then it touched the ground again about 10' from the basket, jumped up like a regular "single" skip shot.....Ching! :D

demrick
Dec 05 2008, 06:26 PM
the 1st Big Show at Lake Lewisville, last round, second to last hole, hole 13, hit one of the first trees and shanks out of bounds by the shule on the left, a mere seventy-five feet off the tee, throwing my second shot with a CE Firebird FX, with a little hyzer, clears the rest of the trees and banks toward the basket, skips about twenty feet from the basket and BAM, a circle three on the card, a very nice save

AnotherSteve
Dec 06 2008, 01:04 AM
the 1st Big Show at Lake Lewisville, last round, second to last hole, hole 13, hit one of the first trees and shanks out of bounds by the shule on the left, a mere seventy-five feet off the tee, throwing my second shot with a CE Firebird FX, with a little hyzer, clears the rest of the trees and banks toward the basket, skips about twenty feet from the basket and BAM, a circle three on the card, a very nice save

Nice

ddevine
Jan 01 2009, 04:13 PM
My favorite (luckiest) shot was a 390' downhill ace on hole 10 at the old La Mirada Gold for the first ace ever at an NT event (2003 Golden State Classic) with an 8x Roc.

I can testify to Gangloff's two shots, I was on his card for the USDGC shot (triple tasty!) and watching at the Patapsco Picnic.

Hey Craiger, I just shot +5 at Morley with that Scotty Zimmerman 165g World Class that I got from you...mucho thanks and Happy New Year!

chrisd928
Jan 03 2009, 01:13 AM
I have multiple great shots but my GREATEST shot definetley has to be:
August 11 Near Stoneman Lake (Near Flagstaff) AZ tounrament is The Jerry Garcia Disc Golf Festival its a non pdga event but the best tourney anyone could play. well its hole 12, 3 holes away from finishing the huge 21 hole course. well hole 12 plays about 525 to 540 somewhere in that range and is a par 3 (most say should be Par 4) its a straight shot for about 320 then a barracade of trees blocks off the fairway so must lay it up on the side of the trees and take an upshot around 200 feet out. well me having a huge S curve forehand steps up and throws the S curve just over the last tree at about 25 feet high and put my shot about 55 feet out and sink the jump putt for the ony duece ever on that hole.
The very next round i took the same route but threw harder got within 40 of the basket but with a hyzer putt and nailed chains but spit. also during the same tournament i was the only player to birdie(3) the 800 footer for all 3 rounds.
adn i went on to take 3rd in the ADV division.

ROCinRON
Jan 03 2009, 04:46 PM
I have two greatest shots that I just cant pick between. My first was during the am weekend of the Moccasin lake open at Cliff Stephens in Clearwater in 2005 when I was playing advanced and had a 8 stroke lead going into the last round. I somehow managed to fall apart and let the second place guy tie me. After some birdies and pars in the playoff we get to the 330'ish fifth hole and I park it while my opponent was well outside of me. He missed his 2nd shot and I drop in for the win and all the weight is off my back. That was the biggest relief that I didnt blow the win with the kind of a lead I had going into the last round. It had to be one of the worst back to back rounds recorded. I shot a 1034 and then a 907 or something. That was my first advanced tournament and first(only) win in advanced. Next shot...

I was at hole 10 at Cliff Stephens, playing the weekly doubles. Hole 10 is 350' over a large pond and protected by some mature oaks on the left and right of the basket. My partner parks his first shot and I was about to throw the firebird, but went back to my back and grabbed a champ starfire and ran straight at it. It went straight the entire way and slammed the chains for the $400 ace fund. I split with my partner and he bought the beer for the following weeks doubles. I moved to Tennessee 1 week later and got the one hole I wanted to ace the most. I thought it was a great way to part ways with Cliff Stephens as my home course.

dehaas
Jan 04 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd say my two most memorable shots were aces in casual rounds (haven't hit a league or tourney ace for money yet, have thrown 5 legit aces and 3 that were second shots for the heck of it). The first one was hole 5 at Carrol Marty in Ames, IA, which is a big hyzer spike over some trees. It can't be but 200 feet directly to the hole but you've basically gotta throw over a tree line with I'd guess is at least 30 feet tall. The tee shot hit the back side of the basket, no chains or anything. It looked like it was on line but I thought it was a few feet deep because it didn't really make a noise. The other shot was hole 6 at the same course, a tight tunnel shot maybe 250 downhill. This was in January and it was all snowy and icy. The footing on the tee was kinda bad so I tossed a tomahawk instead of a straight shot right at it. The disc came crashing down and hit a sheet of ice in front of the bucket, almost tacoed in half and sprung a few feet straight into the air and into the basket. Since I've moved back to Illinois I've had some good shots, but those 2 still seem to stick out for being out of the ordinary.

rollinghedge
Jan 05 2009, 12:30 PM
My greatest shot(s) would have been this summer in the Volunteer Classic. Tim Barr and I ended up tied after 36 holes and went to a playoff. First hole pushed with a par on an easy birdie hole. Second hole is ~375ft dogwood left right off the tee. The gap is tight on the left and right. I attempted a sky roller but swung it out a little too wide and got pimped early. Tim had a great roller that made it out into the open for a relatively easy three. My approach was a blind, partially uphill 300ft hyzer threw a gap. I threw a dx roc and NAILED my line putting it inside of 20ft to push. I can�t think of how many times I�ve botched that same shot during other rounds so I was amped up to know I was still in it. Hole 3 is a pretty open, slightly uphill 400 footer which you need swing wide to get around guardian trees about 275ft out. I walked up and crushed a wraith that did a perfect hyzer flip �round the trees and put in inside of 10ft. Tim leaned a little too much on his drive which left him on the plateau but around 70ft out. He made a hell of a run that hit the basket but just a little low. I walked up and knocked down what felt like the longest 10 footer ever for the win. And there was much rejoicing. Even got a trophy for the effort, still sitting on the mantle.

Good times. :)

PBeagle
Jan 08 2009, 07:40 PM
Another one of the "not the best, but memorable" shots of mine was at Brushy Creek in Round Rock, Tx.

Hole 11, Drive falls in fairway 175' from the pin at the top of a little "valley". Basket is straight in front of me but blocked by a ceder tree. Only option to get near for Par is a sweet hyzer.

Set up to toss, pull back and throw, let go and listen.

Couldn't believe it, my first 175' birdie.

gang4010
Jan 09 2009, 01:45 PM
One time I was in Eastern Washington at an event (Kennewick I think) and pulled out the thumb roller because there was a low ceiling late. There were a couple of gigantic oak trees (trunks were probably 3-4' in diameter that went up about 8-10' and split into 4-5 leads and big crowns. anyway, I pulled the thumber too tight and it crawled up the face of the first big oak and stuck in the cradle of the leads -over 2meters of course :) Not my best shot - but definitely entertaining.

crusher
Jan 10 2009, 11:18 AM
Back in 1982, threw a Wham-O 41 mold as a roller on hole 10 at La Mirada and it bounced off the roots and into the basket for a roller ace,

Only roller ace I ever saw in my career.

I did see Alvin Dale throw a shot in Oklahoma and it skipped off the top of Mike Sayres disc causing Mike's disc to flip over, and Alvin's shot went right in the bucket. I so could not believe I saw it happen.

Merkaba311
Jan 22 2009, 09:58 AM
One shot comes to mind right away for me.

I was out disc golfing with a couple of friends (I usually have a hard time getting friends to come out so it was a bonus) on a course that I was pretty familiar with.

Were were on the back 9 and most of the holes on the back 9 are very heavily wooded with a 2-track being the only fairway. I managed to catch a nice chunk of tree about 75' off the tee.

I had recently discovered "thumbers" and I was throwing them at just about everything with trees in the way. I was lining up my shot and I just said "There's my window" and I immediately threw a thumber after saying that.

We were standing about 20 feet below the basket and it was through about 150 feet of dense trees so we couldn't see the basket at all.

We just watched my disc sail up perfectly through the window I had spotted and listened for it to land......*CHING!!*

*Cue slow motion screams of glory* OOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

That takes the cake over what was my closest shot ever to getting an ace. It was actually on the hole previous to that hole. The hole is only about 125 feet long but there is only a two foot wide window to the basket. I can thread the needle about 50% of the time but that's not good enough.

So one day I tried throwing a thumber in a weird banana-shaped line to clear the trees and it bounced off the top rim of the basket, down to the bottom rim, and out.

RobertZurfluh
Jan 22 2009, 06:49 PM
Getting that three at Hole 18 @ Tinicum was sweet. A drive from the left side, missing the trees, skipping up into the basket. I'll take it.

I have four aces, but they were all shorter than the drive I had @ Tinicum to get me the three.

CGPRush
Feb 21 2009, 02:11 AM
My best shot came late in the final round of what turned out to be my first tournament win.

It was hole 2 on the Meadows course at Houck's Circle R ranch in Wimberley. I had a 2 stroke lead with about 6 holes to go and was starting to feel the pressure. The guy in second place was a very consistent player who rarely made bad shots or bad decisions which just added to the pressure. My drive off the tee caught a tree on the left side of the narrow fairway about 30' from the tee and dropped straight down. My only shot was a low forehand that had to carry about 250' to get me a par-saving putt.
I stepped out to the right of the tree I was behind and threw the shot perfectly to about 10' to the right of the basket. I made the putt and saved the par. The rest of the round seemed easy in comparison and I walked away with my first tourney victory.
Awesome feeling to pull off a tough shot in a pressure situation.

TheGatewayKid
Mar 25 2009, 05:58 PM
i went to my home bowling alley on league night and brought a max weight condor with me. i then proceeded to convince them to give me one shot at the pins. first try strike. 60 footer for the win.

Jethro33
Mar 26 2009, 11:25 AM
my first and only ace so far . . . Super Roc hyzer over the trees to Ace #1 at McClain, San Antonio Tx

nyemm01
Mar 26 2009, 01:42 PM
My greatest shot would probably be too difficult to explain.